The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

What is management smoking. Virtanen and Schaller/Loui above Baertschi. 

I’m gonna assume that when Brock’s ready to go Gaudette will shift down to the third line or sent to Utica.

That will shift Leivo or Virtanen down to the fourth and Baertschi should slot into the 3rd.

Edited by Roger Neilsons Towel
Quote bypasses censors. Edited.

26 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The problem with Edler which I saw in the preseason, instead of trying to use Pettersson or Brock more he decided to just throw it on the net, now don't get me wrong it's not a bad thing to do that, but when you do it 3 or 4 times in a row and still don't pass it to your better shooters then that's a problem. It does seem Edler is second guessing himself to make the pass to either one, or he's just to slow to react anymore, so having a young guy in Hughes who already has shown his passing abilities it really makes sense to have the more agile quicker younger player there imo.

And people can't really use the excuse that Edlers experience and leadership is the backbone on that PP so things don't go wrong, would be a complete lie because I see it every year he ALWAYS gets burned by the other teams forward and can never catch him instead just tries to slash and hook him because he can't keep up and then draws a penalty there goes the PP, get a younger player who's quicker in decisions and speed, who can cut down on mistakes and even catch a player after a mistake.

Take a look at Peteys nice PPG with the big one timer the other day.   

Who passed it to him?

• Like 1

Just now, Stelar said:

We need to stop looking at the forwards as top 6 and bottom six. We need to be looking at it as top 9 and bottom 3 now. We need three lines who can score and one $&!# down line.  Sven surely fits in the top nine. 

Apparently not - he's an extra.  Sutter is going to take the tough matchups - he talks of how he likes that shutdown role.  Beagle is not an offensive player either.  

Batchelor tweeted the other day that Green has all but confirmed his bottom-6 and the top-6 has been set all summer.  Also skilled players need touches with the puck - why wouldn't they have him on the PP.  His numbers are far better than Leivo or Pearson.

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

Or maybe it's concussion protocol for them to only play that long .... we just don't know.  But ya, media likes to stir up stuff.

Yea that could definitely be part of it. If only one of them left I’d be concerned but obviously this was scheduled.

Green wants 4 forwards and 1D on the first PP unit. With Hughes as the D-man, it's like having five forwards. Plus, Edler has the better shot, with more likely rebounds for Ferland to garner and pop in, or redistribute.  Edler is finding Petey often enough, but when that lane is blocked cos teams are focusing on 40, then shooting is a good option.

For his second unit he wants just 3 forwards and 2D, as if the penalty is killed, he wants two D to be on the ice. So the logical pairngs are Edler with the forward on the other point, for the 4 + 1 unit, and Hughes with Myers for the 3 + 2 unit.

(Miller is no slouch in getting back to catch any breakaways - certainly faster than Eriksson, or even Leivo, who played that position last year. Jake would be a good option too - heavy shot, and speed to catch if chasing a breakaway)

Edited by Googlie

49 minutes ago, mll said:

I don't think he is a lock.  Green criticised Calgary for playing him on a checking line.  There's no spot in the top-6.  Media is around the team and have been gathering information.  He wasn't at media day either at the start of camp - every other vet was.  

He is also not on the PP when it's his strength.  Pearson's career high on the PP is 7pts.  Leivo had 4pts last year.  They are on PP1 and PP2 but Baertschi isn't foreseen on the PP per Drance.

That is kind of suggestive lol. 

Do you think his injury last year is an issue, or is it just that the team has more top-9 guys now, and he's out of luck?

57 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The problem with Edler which I saw in the preseason, instead of trying to use Pettersson or Brock more he decided to just throw it on the net, now don't get me wrong it's not a bad thing to do that, but when you do it 3 or 4 times in a row and still don't pass it to your better shooters then that's a problem. It does seem Edler is second guessing himself to make the pass to either one, or he's just to slow to react anymore, so having a young guy in Hughes who already has shown his passing abilities it really makes sense to have the more agile quicker younger player there imo.

I know what you're saying, but Edler shooting instead of passing is similar to the idea of football teams continuing to run the football despite getting very little yardage -- by respecting the run it opens up the passing game. Same thing for hockey, if Tanev was on the first unit powerplay you know he's gonna pass it off to Boeser/Pettersson all the time, so the opposing PK unit would have those passing lanes covered. Edler, on the other hand, has a respectable shot. With Ferland or Miller in front of the net causing havoc and pouncing on rebounds, having a defenseman that has a respectable shot and who can get it through the first layer of defenders will add another threat to the offense, should BB6 and EP40 be covered.

The same reason is why I'm excited for Juolevi once he makes the big club and is manning the point on the powerplay. Juolevi has that "seeing eye" wrister from the point, the mobility to walk the blue line and open up passing lanes, and a deceptive no look tape-to-tape pass.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

And people can't really use the excuse that Edlers experience and leadership is the backbone on that PP so things don't go wrong, would be a complete lie because I see it every year he ALWAYS gets burned by the other teams forward and can never catch him instead just tries to slash and hook him because he can't keep up and then draws a penalty there goes the PP, get a younger player who's quicker in decisions and speed, who can cut down on mistakes and even catch a player after a mistake.

Devils advocate - maybe didn’t want to hurt anyone in front of the net on his team with a booming slapper....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gameburn said:

That is kind of suggestive lol. 

Do you think his injury last year is an issue, or is it just that the team has more top-9 guys now, and he's out of luck?

He says he's fully healed and he has been playing - even taking and throwing hits.  

They have players who fit better.  Roussel is also coming back.  There's just no spot for him re style of play and role.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, xereau said:

:picard:

I think he is flaunting to Green that he doesn’t have to do anything because he is a 6M man. Ownership should just bite the bullet and drop him to Utica. He is literally the most overpaid pile of poo in the NHL.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Gaudette has been worse than Sutter in his own zone or on the dot during the preseason. IMO he has been our worse C in his own zone. The idea is to eliminate both those factors by having to play him on the wing which would give him way more opportunity and freedom offensively rather then being relegated to a checking role (since the top 2 lines will get the majority of the offensive ice time) that he doesn't look quite ready for which much rather suits Sutter. If we want to develop him that way then there's another reason to throw him in Utica in order to work on his overall game on top of the asset management.

If he makes the team it should be as a top 6 winger because he has beat out guys for a top 6 wing role. Also he seems to be practicing the wing rn so perhaps management sees the potential at wing. I sure do.

I like Gaudette on the wing for a season.  Gaudette Sutter Baer?  

Gaudette gets two experienced guys and can learn from Sutter how to be a center in the league.  

This team cannot overlook a player with the nose for the net.  

54 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I know what you're saying, but Edler shooting instead of passing is similar to the idea of football teams continuing to run the football despite getting very little yardage -- by respecting the run it opens up the passing game. Same thing for hockey, if Tanev was on the first unit powerplay you know he's gonna pass it off to Boeser/Pettersson all the time, so the opposing PK unit would have those passing lanes covered. Edler, on the other hand, has a respectable shot. With Ferland or Miller in front of the net causing havoc and pouncing on rebounds, having a defenseman that has a respectable shot and who can get it through the first layer of defenders will add another threat to the offense, should BB6 and EP40 be covered.

The same reason is why I'm excited for Juolevi once he makes the big club and is manning the point on the powerplay. Juolevi v that "seeing eye" wrister from the point, the mobility to walk the blue line and open up passing lanes, and a deceptive no look tape-to-tape pass.

In yesterday's AHL preseason game, Juolevi did in fact shoot it on net, and Gadjovich tipped it in. Juolevi is criminally underrated.

• Cheers 3

22 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think you're not wrong but you're putting and awful lot of pressure on Goldobin and Virtanen here. I'd be for waiting a month or so before putting them into the deep end or the pool. 

Virtanen is sucking wind and out of shape asking him to keep up w Miller and Pearson might be wiser 20 games into the season than it would be on game one. 

Goldobin is a Gambler. I think should be given the opportunity but probably start him on your third line and if the chips start rolling in then reward him with an opportunity with Pete. Flip side if he cant hang w Miller Pearson I think we have seen enough.

I think Goldobin are a bit cocky so I believe he think that it's his right linemates. So I think he will do fine as long as the post doesn't stop him. 

If he starts in a third line he has to do more defensively and it will not be so good. 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

:picard:

I think he is flaunting to Green that he doesn’t have to do anything because he is a 6M man. Ownership should just bite the bullet and drop him to Utica. He is literally the most overpaid pile of poo in the NHL.

Seabrook, Alzner, Lucic, Neal, Okposo there is a fee players that are a worse investment than Loui