Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

53 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah, we only get the 6 pack especial here and they sell out quick. I make sure to stock up before the weekend otherwise I'm on the MGD or IPA back up plan 

Keep an emergency six pack in the closet.

I have a six pack of Rolling Rock in the emergency kit. Don't care if she goes bad if the world collapses it'll taste wonderful.

• Hydration 2

4 hours ago, KeslerWho? said:

I suspect Leivo will fill the RW spot on Pettersson's line until Boeser is ready to go. Goldobin does not deserve to be on this team 

Jesus, I’d hate to see what your punishment for JV would be

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Jesus, I’d hate to see what your punishment for JV would be

Why? Virtanen is much more versatile than Goldobin. It's really not even close. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

5 hours ago, Viper007 said:

I believe you're thinking about 2 years ago, because he was definitely our #1 D man last year, and alot of people were eating crow about how well he played last year.

I think you need to pay attention to the games a little closer to really see what I'm talking about, but don't worry you'll get to see it this year it will happen a lot I saw it in the pre season game already, but of course since they won and scored a bunch no one looks at those little things, they only look at those things when it's not going right or not scoring goals unfortunately.

Last year I'm sure if I dig it up in my history I can find it, but I believe it was the first couple games of the year or even the first game of the year, I said this whole D needed to be revamped because it was really weak the D was garbage and I believe we saw that last year lol, so comparing Edler to how bad the D last year was is not really saying much, what was it 3-4 years ago Edler led the league in minus.

I've been on Edlers case since about 2012-13, that's when I started noticing him not getting any better when he should of been especially at the age he was at in his prime years. I do strongly believe his back injury has really slowed him down over the years, but now with him getting even older he isn't getting better anymore he's just going to continue to slow down more and imo that's even more scarier since he already can't catch guys after he loses it at the offensive blue line. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Ferland Petterson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Miller

Baer Sutter Leivo

Motte Beagle Eriksson

Virtanen 

Edler Tanev

hughes myers

stetcher benn

Fantenberg

Markstrkm

Demko

Edited by teepain
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Not everyone thinks giving Edler a 1m raise and full nmc was a wise move tho. JB should've played hardball with him, Edler didnt want to play anywhere else it should have led to us getting him to take a paycut in my honest opinion.

But such is life, 2 years then hopefully that is it. I am sure people will say he deserves to have his # retired by the Canucks after his playing career. I don't, I think you need to win some kind of NHL hardware for that. Of course he is going to lead D stats with the years of service he has on the team

Yes I didn't think everyone was thinking like that, that's why I worded it with many instead. Yes that's the other issue I didn't like with Edler when trying to trade him but I get it, it was in his contract but he just never seemed open to the situation that I didn't like, but I believe you're right he should of played a little more hardball with him because sounds like he didn't want to play anywhere else anyways, imo Benning had a lot more leverage, doesn't look like he tried to use that to his advantage.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I was a firm supporter of Edler last season and was glad he re-signed. 

Yeah some of you did, but many also didn't like his play on lots of nights especially his lack of passing to Brock on the PP, which I don't know how anyone can deny that to be honest. I was just a little surprised to see how many supported Edler after receiving a raise on his new contract, it's like many flip flopped on him once he re-signed, so it shocks me a bit.

• Confused 4

I also thought people were so excited at the end of last year watching Hughes on the PP1 with EP and excited for the future, now they're defending Edler on that unit instead....:wacko:

• Confused 1

On 9/28/2019 at 9:11 AM, DS4quality said:

Would anyone trade Gaudette for a winger? Possibly Jonathan Drouin? 

Not saying we should but he's probably at peak value right now, and we could use another winger until we get Madden in the system 

If for no other reason than cap? Not much hope in this proposal... 

On 9/27/2019 at 8:11 PM, DS4quality said:

Would anyone trade Gaudette for a winger? Possibly Jonathan Drouin? 

Not saying we should but he's probably at peak value right now, and we could use another winger until we get Madden in the system 

Gaudette has great value now and will.in the future.  Hope that we target someone other than Drouin if we ever deal Gaudette.  

Personally, Drouin has always seemed like a prima dona.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Tracking to over 50 points, 24 minutes a night.  Its good top pair D numbers.

Edler has never hit 50pts in his career, I don't see a Giordano type later career offensive jump. Have to be healthy all 82 games or get 50pts in X amount of games. Projected totals mean nothing

17 hours ago, mll said:

He says he's fully healed and he has been playing - even taking and throwing hits.  

They have players who fit better.  Roussel is also coming back.  There's just no spot for him re style of play and role.  

He looked good with Gaudette -- and continues to look good with Horvat -- I guess for me the question is whether he has more to contribute in the long run than Pearson or the likes of Leivo.  In the last few years he has done enough to make a case.  But last year Pearson put up some points and seemed to grow as a player, which has to be bad for Baertschi.  1st line: EP40, Boes, Ferland;  then a second line of: Horvat, Miller (his new give and go guy for sure) and Pearson?;

then a 3rd line of: Gaudette, Virtanen, Sutter;  and the 4th line of Beagle, Motte (Roussel), Leivo, with Schaller as the extra guy until he is replaced by Roussel, who would take over from Motte on the fourth line (or Virtanen or Sutter on 3rd line). 

It certainly makes no sense to use Baertschi on the 4th line, so the question is really whether Virtanen or Sutter get bumped downwards to the 4th to make room for Baertschi to play along with Gaudette (who obviously had some chemistry with Gaudette.)  I'd rather have Baertschi with Gaudette for scoring reasons, but there could be very good reasons to keep Sutter as the real faceoff guy or to keep Virtanen there because of his physical presence and 15 plus goals.

15 minutes ago, gameburn said:

He looked good with Gaudette -- and continues to look good with Horvat -- I guess for me the question is whether he has more to contribute in the long run than Pearson or the likes of Leivo.  In the last few years he has done enough to make a case.  But last year Pearson put up some points and seemed to grow as a player, which has to be bad for Baertschi.  1st line: EP40, Boes, Ferland;  then a second line of: Horvat, Miller (his new give and go guy for sure) and Pearson?;

then a 3rd line of: Gaudette, Virtanen, Sutter;  and the 4th line of Beagle, Motte (Roussel), Leivo, with Schaller as the extra guy until he is replaced by Roussel, who would take over from Motte on the fourth line (or Virtanen or Sutter on 3rd line). 

It certainly makes no sense to use Baertschi on the 4th line, so the question is really whether Virtanen or Sutter get bumped downwards to the 4th to make room for Baertschi to play along with Gaudette (who obviously had some chemistry with Gaudette.)  I'd rather have Baertschi with Gaudette for scoring reasons, but there could be very good reasons to keep Sutter as the real faceoff guy or to keep Virtanen there because of his physical presence and 15 plus goals.

Pick any 2 players mentioned above for the inevitable long-term injuries that will occur. 

That's the real reason why I think JB is keeping all these guys around. 

AG might get 'papered' to Utica,  but we all know somebody is unfortunately getting injured from the forward group sometime  -  nevermind the defence injuries which will also follow.  Yes, I'm feeling pessimistic this morning......

• Hydration 1

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Pick any 2 players mentioned above for the inevitable long-term injuries that will occur. 

That's the real reason why I think JB is keeping all these guys around. 

AG might get 'papered' to Utica,  but we all know somebody is unfortunately getting injured from the forward group sometime  -  nevermind the defence injuries which will also follow.  Yes, I'm feeling pessimistic this morning......

He won't get "papered" to Utica.......if he gets sent down, he's actually going to Utica, imo.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

He won't get "papered" to Utica.......if he gets sent down, he's actually going to Utica, imo.

I think they will send Adam down to Utica and not because he is not good enough to have earned a spot. Part of running a team is asset management and Adam does not need waivers. That being said; other players will be waived in order to get to the 23 man roster limit. As to what they have in mind, that will be known, probably tomorrow. I am a bit perplexed as to how it will play out though. Do you waive a 24 yr old player that is highly skilled but lacks in compete level (Goldobin) or a 34 yr old player who is in the twilight of his career (Eriksson)? The other player IMO to be waived will be Tim Schaller. He can be effective on the 4th line and as a penalty killer but is that enough?

For any that are upset with Adam possibly being waived.... he will be one of the first to be called up when injuries start to take their toll as they always seem to do.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Edler has never hit 50pts in his career, I don't see a Giordano type later career offensive jump. Have to be healthy all 82 games or get 50pts in X amount of games. Projected totals mean nothing

I disagree. It’s just a way of adding context to his PPG.  

The point is, Edler has been very effective (and productive) his past 2 seasons when he’s on the ice.  

If we’re discussing Edler’s impact over a season it’s fine to mention that he’s very unlikely to play all 82 games.  

However, his impact on an individual game that he is healthy for is a .52 PPG player over the past 2 seasons - which is very healthy point total for a D man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

It seems like too many moves to try and accommodate Baertschi into the lineup.  It doesn't make for strong lines when the player just doesn't fit the role or the style of play of his linemates.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1