The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Baertchi has outplayed Eriksson imo he should not be the casualty of the numbers game.

The problem with Baertschi is that he isn’t a good fit on the bottom 6.    Yes - he had chemistry with Gaudette (Who is slated to be the 3rd line C), but a combination of Baertschi and Gaudette would have too many shortcomings for a 3rd line.

I’m not the biggest fan of Eriksson, but he can be used in both a top 6 and a bottom 6 role, not to mention both wings.

5 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Baertchi has outplayed Eriksson imo he should not be the casualty of the numbers game.

I agree completely but we don’t save enough salary sending LE down. The fact also remains that if we ever want to have a chance at trading LE for even peanuts....we need to at least show he has NHL value.

Just now, Hindustan Smyl said:

The problem with Baertschi is that he isn’t a good fit on the bottom 6.    Yes - he had chemistry with Gaudette (Who is slated to be the 3rd line C), but a combination of Baertschi and Gaudette would have too many shortcomings for a 3rd line.

I’m not the biggest fan of Eriksson, but he can be used in both a top 6 and a bottom 6 role, not to mention both wings.

And why would Schaller be kept?

Baertschi/Gaudette

Baertschi/Horvat

really gives good options.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, flat land fish said:

I think the team is concerned with Sven’s concussion history, good chance he is one hit from being out of the league  , if we waive someone else lose them and then lose Sven 3 weeks from now it’s a double whammy

Pearson showed very good chemistry with Horvat last year.   Just as good as Baertschi did with Horvat.   Unlike Baertschi however, Pearson has grit and is quite sound defensively.   Due to this, Pearson can play on both the top 6 and also the 3rd line.    Baertschi is pretty much useless on the bottom 6.    I agree that Baertschi is a better hockey player than Goldobin, and is more deserving to be here, but the cap hit is obviously a huge determining factor.

Couldn't they use Rousell's LTIR?

Like seriously.

And yeah, I don't think losing Schaller is really a "whammy"

Edited by Dazzle

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

And why would Schaller be kept?

Baertschi/Gaudette

Baertschi/Horvat

really gives good options.

Schaller showed excellent chemistry with Beagle and Motte.   Schaller seems like a different player this camp, and that 4th Line is exactly the type of 4th line that you’d want on a team.

Pearson’s chemistry with Horvat is as every bit as good as Baertschi’s.   Baertschi and Gaudette have good chemistry, but that pairing is not ideally suited for a 3rd line (ie defensively questionable, lack of grit, etc). 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Pearson showed very good chemistry with Horvat last year.   Just as good as Baertschi did with Horvat.   Unlike Baertschi however, Pearson has grit and is quite sound defensively.   Due to this, Pearson can play on both the top 6 and also the 3rd line.    Baertschi is pretty much useless on the bottom 6.    I agree that Baertschi is a better hockey player than Goldobin, and is more deserving to be here, but the cap hit is obviously a huge determining factor.

Lol remember when Leipsic showed great chemistry with Boeser and Bo those 10-15 games near the end of the season. Where is he now?

A lot of players perform well first 10-20 games when they are traded.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, J-23 said:

Lol remember when Leipsic showed great chemistry with Boeser and Bo those 10-15 games near the end of the season. Where is he now?

A lot of players perform well first 10-20 games when they are traded.

Leipsic is a marginal NHL’er.   Aside from a dismal first 2/3’s of the season last year, Pearson has consistently been a very good 2nd line player.

• Cheers 2