Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Fateless said:

Actually they can. And it would have made them cap compliant. So...

How can they?

His contract is bullet proof

Just now, flat land fish said:

I think the team is concerned with Sven’s concussion history, good chance he is one hit from being out of the league  , if we waive someone else lose them and then lose Sven 3 weeks from now it’s a double whammy

Just now, Hindustan Smyl said:

Pearson showed very good chemistry with Horvat last year.   Just as good as Baertschi did with Horvat.   Unlike Baertschi however, Pearson has grit and is quite sound defensively.   Due to this, Pearson can play on both the top 6 and also the 3rd line.    Baertschi is pretty much useless on the bottom 6.    I agree that Baertschi is a better hockey player than Goldobin, and is more deserving to be here, but the cap hit is obviously a huge determining factor.

Couldn't they use Rousell's LTIR?

Like seriously.

And yeah, I don't think losing Schaller is really a "whammy"

Edited by Dazzle

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

And why would Schaller be kept?

Baertschi/Gaudette

Baertschi/Horvat

really gives good options.

Schaller showed excellent chemistry with Beagle and Motte.   Schaller seems like a different player this camp, and that 4th Line is exactly the type of 4th line that you’d want on a team.

Pearson’s chemistry with Horvat is as every bit as good as Baertschi’s.   Baertschi and Gaudette have good chemistry, but that pairing is not ideally suited for a 3rd line (ie defensively questionable, lack of grit, etc). 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Hindustan Smyl said:

Pearson showed very good chemistry with Horvat last year.   Just as good as Baertschi did with Horvat.   Unlike Baertschi however, Pearson has grit and is quite sound defensively.   Due to this, Pearson can play on both the top 6 and also the 3rd line.    Baertschi is pretty much useless on the bottom 6.    I agree that Baertschi is a better hockey player than Goldobin, and is more deserving to be here, but the cap hit is obviously a huge determining factor.

Lol remember when Leipsic showed great chemistry with Boeser and Bo those 10-15 games near the end of the season. Where is he now?

A lot of players perform well first 10-20 games when they are traded.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, J-23 said:

Lol remember when Leipsic showed great chemistry with Boeser and Bo those 10-15 games near the end of the season. Where is he now?

A lot of players perform well first 10-20 games when they are traded.

Leipsic is a marginal NHL’er.   Aside from a dismal first 2/3’s of the season last year, Pearson has consistently been a very good 2nd line player.

• Hydration 2

Just now, MeManifesto said:

Lose one Sven,

Lose all Svens,

Lose yourself. 

Me Manifesto - Plays with Squirrels, 2001

I sense some bad JUJUS coming :(

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Leipsic is a marginal NHL’er.   Aside from a dismal first 2/3’s of the season last year, Pearson has consistently been a very good 2nd line player.

True but even you know we probably could of got something decent out of Baer, he going to get picked up on waivers. 

Edited by J-23

It’s not 9 yet so let’s all stay calm, this only a report lol :ph34r:

Edited by J-23
  • Haha 2

If they waive Baer it is about cap space and they must figure he will be claimed. There is no use in waiving him if it is not about cap space. They only get the basic 1 mil for him. If they think he will get injured then he would be better here. if he gets injured he would go on IR.

This team has cap troubles.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, J-23 said:

It’s not 9 yet so let’s all stay calm, this only a report

I can see you LOSING IT when Baer's name actually does come up. I don't like the move either (if true). Like COME ON.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

I think the team is concerned with Sven’s concussion history, good chance he is one hit from being out of the league  , if we waive someone else lose them and then lose Sven 3 weeks from now it’s a double whammy

Have to agree here. nothing else makes sense outside of giving him some time in the AHL to play through all of his current injury history and when injuries happen hopefully he's completely ready to go.

For another team to take on his cap with the concussion history would be quite a surprise. 

Just now, Dazzle said:

I can see you LOSING IT when Baer's name actually does come up. I don't like the move either (if true). Like COME ON.

5 minutes :ph34r:

• Haha 2

Just now, appleboy said:

If they waive Baer it is about cap space and they must figure he will be claimed. There is no use in waiving him if it is not about cap space. They only get the basic 1 mil for him. If they think he will get injured then he would be better here. if he gets injured he would go on IR.

This team has cap troubles.

But somehow Toronto has more cap space than Vancouver?

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

True but even you know we probably could of got something decent out of Baer, he going to get picked up on waivers. If this cap issue, then that (hate to say it) Myers contract hurting us. Otherwise, this was a stupid decision.

The Canuck had been shopping Baertschi (reportedly), but there were no takers.   That cap hit is too much of a risk to take on, given Baertschi’s health issues and limited game.

I like Baertschi, but he’s an injury prone average 2nd line player that can’t really be used in any other role.    People can hate on Eriksson all they want, but LE can atleast be used in every single forward role out there (except Center).

My best wishes to Sven.   Riding buses and eating egg rolls may not be such a bad thing.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1