The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Are you seriously saying we should waive Sven and keep Eriksson.  Did you hit your head?  Not a joke, just concerned.  

Nope, I'm saying Eriksson is at best 14th F as of right now regardless and that's only until Roussel gets back. Do the math. Do you see him in my lineup there?

And Again, this is likely just as much as trying to find Sven an NHL club to pick him up now that he's no longer required. That doesn't mean Eriksson isn't also no longer required (or won't be much longer).

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Nope, I'm saying Eriksson is at best 14th F as of right now regardless and that's only until Roussel gets back. Do the math. Do you see him in my lineup there?

And Again, this is likely just as much as trying to find Sven an NHL club to pick him up now that he's no longer required. That doesn't mean Eriksson isn't also no longer required (or won't be much longer).

Idk if this team is ready to shed good middle six wingers that have chemistry with everyone.  Baer will get picked up we will see this bite us in the ass.  

Bad move imo.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We don't. @appleboy, as usual, is out to lunch.

Simply getting down to the 23 man roster gets us $1-$1.5m under the cap regardless of who gets the axe.

Eriksson & Schaller still on the team.

It's absolutely about cap b/c what do you do when roussel is back??

As you said it's the same savings, they are putting the better player (Sven) on rather than those guys b/c theres a better chance he'll get claimed, freeing up cap space.

I definitely did a double take when I saw this but in a certain light it makes sense. I suspect they are hoping to sneak these guys through to Utica where they can serve as top 6 depth option when someone inevitably gets hurt. Goldobin may get claimed, Baer might get claimed or one or both of them might sneak through. If they get claimed they have other options so it is a low risk move.

Baertschi missed a lot of time and won't be hurt by a bit of time in Utica to get into top form and be called up when he is needed. If they lose him, they lose him.

If they sent Eriksson down he would just be an anchor in Utica. Better to have him sit as the extra forward or play on the 4th line.

This may be a means of keeping a couple of players of value in a position to fight their way into the lineup. It almost certainly means that they expect Boeser will be ready to play in the near future.

If Baer gets claimed they lose a large chunk of cap hit and a player that is high risk at this point. It is an understandable move.

Edited by VforVirtanen
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Idk if this team is ready to shed good middle six wingers that have chemistry with everyone.  Baer will get picked up we will see this bite us in the ass.  

Bad move imo.  

I'd imagine the Canucks put him on waivers hoping he would get picked up and still be able to play in the NHL. AGAIN, they did this as much for the player as anything else.

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Eriksson & Schaller still on the team.

It's absolutely about cap b/c what do you do when roussel is back??

As you said it's the same savings, they are putting the better player (Sven) on rather than those guys b/c theres a better chance he'll get claimed, freeing up cap space.

Why? They don't need the cap space. They're compliant simply getting to a 23 man roster. I can agree that they put him on waivers hoping he gets claimed, as it's what's best for the player. There's zero cap pressure involved here.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Schaller showed excellent chemistry with Beagle and Motte.   Schaller seems like a different player this camp, and that 4th Line is exactly the type of 4th line that you’d want on a team.

Pearson’s chemistry with Horvat is as every bit as good as Baertschi’s.   Baertschi and Gaudette have good chemistry, but that pairing is not ideally suited for a 3rd line (ie defensively questionable, lack of grit, etc). 

I agree,  Motte/Beagle/Schaller is a solid 4th line.  Schaller probably is the odd man out when Rousell gets back, this just buys us some time. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd imagine the Canucks put him on waivers hoping he would get picked up and still be able to play in the NHL. AGAIN, they did this as much for the player as anything else.

Why? They don't need the cap space. They're compliant simply getting to a 23 man roster. I can agree that they put him on waivers hoping he gets claimed, as it's what's best for the player. There's zero cap pressure involved here.

Injuries / recalls still count against the cap - so there needs to be some room.  Fletcher estimated it at 2M under to be comfortable over a full season in Minnesota.  The Canucks can't really operate at 21 or 22 player to bank cap space because Utica is at the other end of the continent.  

There are also the performance bonuses.  They probably don't want an overage to be carried over to next season on Hughes, Pettersson and now Gaudette as they will still be bonus eligible next season too.  If the team can't make the playoffs they will need to make improvements next summer given the pick owed to Tampa so having an overage can be a problem.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

So they trample recent performance over past performance that he did years ago?  Interesting.   Eriksson is the prime example where they think that he can rebound to its former self this season and are betting on it?   Baertschi had a better preseason over Eriksson, and Schaller and yet kept them both.   I don't know what they are smoking, tbh. Godly and Biega is no brainer moves but Baertschi is a head scratcher.

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Injuries / recalls still count against the cap - so there needs to be some room.  Fletcher estimated it at 2M under to be comfortable over a full season in Minnesota.  The Canucks can't really operate at 21 or 22 player to bank cap space because Utica is at the other end of the continent.  

There are also the performance bonuses.  They probably don't want an overage to be carried over to next season on Hughes, Pettersson and now Gaudette as they will still be bonus eligible next season too.  If the team can't make the playoffs they will need to make improvements next summer given the pick owed to Tampa so having an overage can be a problem.

Sure. More cap space = good. I just don't think that's what this is particularly about. It's highly secondary as opposed to the primary reason as was be presented byt the other CDC'ers.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

26 years old, top 6 with career-high of 18 goals and 35 pts and never player 70 games per season.   He was a place holder, now his place as been filled with better players.

Like Eriksson or Schaller ??? Hope not.

But to be fair he isn't really a stereotype 3rd liner... top 6 or nothing. looks like Pearson on Horvats wing.

32 minutes ago, J-23 said:

WHAT THE &^@#.

Imagine what players think about this move, sure guys like Bo won’t be pleased with this one. 

Players always talk about how it's a business or business decision, so I think they understand some decisions are made because of caps, contracts, age, injuries etc 

I have been disappointed by Goldy, but players like him like Naslund, Sedins as examples have just started to make a significant impact where he is now

Same with Baer, I was concerned about his injuries like I was about losing the best NHL player in Crosby with his early concussions, and he is still playing

I like Gaud , but, I thought putting him on the farm getting top line minutes, would not be a bad thing, until we were able to make room for him trading someone and getting a return

Maybe Baer becomes better trade bait, IF, he passes waivers and a team does not have to guarantee him a spot until They have room for him

As I have said before, I miss when you could send a guy down who was underperforming and not risk losing him,

If it was like that today, our starting line up would look quite different and be better off (Than with guys gifted spots because of waivers and contracts)