The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

It’s funny going into this last draft I thought Canucks future was small and Skilled.

now it’s very obvious Canucks are aiming for Playoff toughness only players. 

Baer is the example of the Playoff direction.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Upvote 1

Just now, HockeyHarry said:

It’s funny going into this last I thought Canucks future was small and Skilled.

Baertschi was a terrific playoff performer in the lower leagues - the deeper they went the better he got.  He was great at getting to the hard ares because it was never about size but smarts for him.  

• Upvote 3

This could be a calculated risk based on evaluations of what other GMs have on their plate, the ramifications of waiving each player and the attempt to buy time to trade certain players. Every team is juggling many things at this moment and sometimes players like Sven (Concussions, limited games etc) slip through just due to other teams unknowns. I would think that JB either wants to get Sven playing top line minutes to get his confidence back down in Utica and when he can make room for him via trade, Sven comes back. Or, the other option is they're trying to give Sven away to anyone who wants to give him an opportunity, if they have no plans to make room for him.

23 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

St Louis won with Bozak and Thomas on their 3rd lines.  If you want to be a contending team, you need skill on your 3rd line.  The 4th line what most teams consider their checking units these days.

Robert Thomas first NHL season 33 points

Tyler Bozak multiple 40-50 pts seasons.

Sven Basertschi career-high 35 pts.

I'm gonna go on limb here and say these guy are more talented then Baertchi and much more suited physically to play in the bottom 6.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

Robert Thomas first NHL season 33 points

Tyler Bozak multiple 40-50 pts seasons.

Sven Basertschi career-high 35 pts.

I'm gonna go on limb here and say these guy are more talented then Baertchi and much more suited physically to play in the bottom 6.

They were also playing on a much better team.  It's more challenging to produce on a bad team.

On a bad team you are probably spending more time defending than playing in the offensive zone.  The Ds were not particularly good at supporting the offence - bottom-3 in points from the blue line the past 2 seasons.  

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

With the waiving and assignment to Utica of Biega, I guess Fantenberg is OK?  He's the only spare D remaining unless I'm missing something.

Also, assuming there are no other moves, my guess is Schaller will be waived once Roussel is healthy.

I still see Brisebois on the roster

38 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Remember that there is still the possibility of trades as well as the sure return of Roussel.  

I can't see Eriksson surviving here much longer.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the fans booing him every time he steps on the ice.

He wasn't booed in preseason, so I doubt he'll be booed in the regular season.  We are Canucks' fans, we should never be booing our own players.  No matter how much we may dislike the player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

It’s funny going into this last draft I thought Canucks future was small and Skilled.

If they pick up Schenn on waivers, then that's another indication of their new direction.  I have to wonder what took them so long to think of this though?  Size, grit and intensity (together with skill) have always been the way to go for playoff success.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I wonder how Horvat feels? lol Well, he's probably bummed that his friend won't be on the team anymore, but I'm sure he also fully understands the business side of it and the concerns there are for Baer's health. Hockey is a brutal sport. IMO the Canucks just got grittier with Baertschi and Goldobin off the team. Tough for Baertschi, but he's got a young family and maybe after retiring from the game he'll work with the team.   

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

He wasn't booed in preseason, so I doubt he'll be booed in the regular season.  We are Canucks' fans, we should never be booing our own players.  No matter how much we may dislike the player.

Too young to remember Messier?

(Forgot to put the quote in the first post.)

41 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Since he was acquired....Bo, Boeser, EP, Miller, Ferland and most recently Gaudette.  

I think its either Gaudette or Pearson on Horvats wing, 

Surprised they don't keep Baer together with Bo and Pearson on 3rd line, but this is the first major decision regarding one up this season. Just hope it doesn't come back to haunt them.

• Upvote 1