The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

21 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's harder THAN it looks.

You're comparing apples to oranges - d men to forwards.

What is it you don't like about Edler's game?  

I'm comparing someone's opinion that because Edler got 4 points means he didn't do anything wrong, Deb there's a difference when someone is ignoring his flaws because he got 4 points, so use the same logic with Eriksson, again do people forget about Erikssons flaws because he got 3 points in 2 games? No they don't so it shouldn't be any different because Edler got 4 points in a pre season game. 

Look I saw a topic and made an opinion of my own, I don't care if you people agree with me or not, because this crap happens every year, I say the same thing everyone disagrees with me, then a month later everyone is saying the same things I said before that everyone wanted to confused emoji me with, just like last year when I said the D was garbage and it needed to be revamped, and everyone wanted to confused emoji me then, but guess what Benning agreed he went and got 2 new D.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They were also playing on a much better team.  It's more challenging to produce on a bad team.

On a bad team you are probably spending more time defending than playing in the offensive zone.  The Ds were not particularly good at supporting the offence - bottom-3 in points from the blue line the past 2 seasons.  

I don't entirely disagree but St-Louis was also one of the worst until January.  While he was playing on a lesser team, Sven also probably had more PP time and quality minutes than these two had on the third line.  

12 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Robert Thomas first NHL season 33 points

Tyler Bozak multiple 40-50 pts seasons.

Sven Basertschi career-high 35 pts.

I'm gonna go on limb here and say these guy are more talented then Baertchi and much more suited physically to play in the bottom 6.

Well, from what I saw of them last SC run, you couldn't be more right.  Bozak was always underrated and Thomas was fantastic. Scored, defended, drew penalties.  Depth and wearing down the other team was how they won.  On paper, there was no way they should have won 2 of those series.  But, depth and perseverance... a bit of toughness... I guess it worked. 

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I have to say, I’m floored right now. 

Schaller played better?

Eriksson was horrible against Arizona. Putrid. Yet he stays?

Baerstchi’s craftiness is an asset not easily let go of. 

I find this waive perplexing. 

Aquilini getting involved, again, in hockey opps?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

If they pick up Schenn on waivers, then that's another indication of their new direction.  I have to wonder what took them so long to think of this though?  Size, grit and intensity (together with skill) have always been the way to go for playoff success.

If you look at the last 10 SC winners: you are right.  Only 1 of those Chicago teams provides any kind of exception.  Even the Pittsburgh teams had size and grit.  And no one is more intense than Crosby.  Also: look at the teams that dominated in the regular season and couldn't quite get it done in the playoffs: Tampa Bay looks to be a prime example, and of course, our own team 7 years back?  Not sure if we failed because of grit and intensity problems.... injuries were a problem.  But style of play was a factor.

Not until there is some commitment to officiate in the playoffs the way they officiate in the regular season will this change.  

Didn’t Green coach Baer in Jr too and was a big fan of his? I think part of it is they’re worried about Baers concussions and don’t want him to get another one and affect the rest of his life. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to cut one of our only skilled forwards and Horvats best friend. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/22/2019 at 7:23 PM, Dombrova22 said:

All of you saying Gaudette is ' for sure utica bound ' are in for a big surprise. The kid has played amazing so far, and if he keeps it up and doesn't slow down, he will have a lock on the opening night roster. 

I told you all, Gaudette was a lock for this roster. Kid is an absolute stud. 

• Upvote 2