The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

When you start off with that in the context of the discussion that was taking place it's easy to think you were being serious. 

I think most people would understand when you say “anyone” you don’t actually mean anyone.

I don’t expect Goldy out there killing penalties.

2 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

Leivo is just as capable as Baer is. You act as if Baer puts up HUGE numbers, he doesn't. 

Leivo has been playing with the team's best players and on PP1.  His production rate in Vancouver is the same as Virtanen's who did not get those favourable deployments.  P60 is a measure of scoring efficiency - he ranks 294th among Fs (min 40 games).  It suggests that Leivo has not been particularly productive in the minutes received especially that those were real quality minutes.  

Remains to be seen if Leivo can even maintain a 0.37 production rate while playing lower in the lineup with lesser players.  He keeps his spot on PP1 though.  He did have 4pts on PP1 in 130 minutes last season.

Baertschi had 7pts in 77 PP minutes last season.   The sample size is too small to look at P60 but he has by far the better numbers (on par with Horvat like past seasons) and even led the team in goals per 60. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I think most people would understand when you say “anyone” you don’t actually mean anyone.

When you say "anyone", you mean "anyone".

When you say "most people", you mean "most people".

With the way you constructed your sentence, you made it seem like my mom could PK (anyone can play the PK).

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When you follow anyone, with our PK sucks anyways one doesn't assume you don't actually mean anyone though. 

Also our PK was 11th in the league last season anyway so far from terrible. 

23 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sven whining about not getting top 6 minutes...  was never going to help team unity.

Club has improved and now there is no spot for Sven in the top 6. This shows the club getting better.

We need more size and grit in our top 6. Guys that play the hard areas.

Sven is no longer needed on PP2.  Can't PK.      Possible long term injuries are catching up to him.  

Made sense to move him out now.   Hockey is the ultimate team game and no point keeping a guy not happy with his role or unwilling / unable  to adapt his game

Baertschi has never said that.  He actually gave an interview before camp talking of how he just wants to help the team and will accept any role.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Which has failed again and again.

Seems to me Iike this management has a hard time moving on from mistakes. They seem determined to make Sutter, Eriksson, and Schaller work on this roster.

Completely agree.

While I generally like Benning and his drafting, I do not like his trades and especially not his Free Agent signings.

Eriksson and Schaller are failures.  Sutter, while a player who has had injury bad luck... also has to be considered a failure.

One of his few bright lights in trades was Baertschi.  And yes, he has been injured a lot.  But he also brings undoubted high paced skill and offensive ability which the above three do not have.  When the Boeser/Bo/Baertschi line was intact, it was one of the best in the NHL.

Sven has not been given the opportunity to show he can play past his injuries.  A few games in pre-season is not enough.  Those games which he did play he showed a lot of skill and finesse while playing on a secondary line with less experienced players.  He was a significant part of Gaudette's improvement this pre-season.  Sven should have been given the opportunity to play with Bo on a top six line to see how he worked there... but no, that didn't happen.

I hope Sven Baertschi does get past waivers and does have an opportunity to get a promotion to the big club again. 

Unfortunately I fear he will get lost in the AHL... get run by some plug and have his career end in an injury and a wasted opportunity.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 1

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Agreed..& how bout we claim Schenn?

With the way Brisebois and Rafferty showed in the preseason as much as I loved Schenn last year I don't see the point. He's not an upgrade over Fantenberg at this point and Brisebois, and Rafferty and to a lesser extent Sautner are close to NHL ready. 

• Upvote 1

The difference between Baertschi and Leivo is that one of these players is a 2nd line player and the other is a 3rd line player.  They are both 26 years old and for one reason or another both came to the NHL late.  Baer has played 285 NHL games and 124 AHL games while Leivo has played 133 NHL games and 171 AHL games.  So I would suggest that both players are who they are as players.

A good yardstick for judging a players skill level, especially forwards, is their rank league wide in point production.  Since there are 3 forwards per line and 31 teams, I have calculated the point production for the 93rd, 186th and 279th player as the threashold of 1st, 2nd and 3rd line production and assumed that they all played 82 games.  These are not precise stats only a ball park obviously.

1.  the 93rd ranked player last season produced 52 points and 0.63 ppg

2.      186th                                                          33 points and 0.40 ppg

3.      279th                                                          21 points and 0.26 ppg

The last 3 seasons together, Baertschi produced 78 points in 147 games which is 0.53 ppg which is well into the 2nd line rank.

For Leivo, I have only included his games with the Canucks because last season was the only year where he had a good run of consecutive games at the NHL level.  He played 49 games and put up 18 points which is 0.37 ppg.

For interest sake, for the past 2 seasons (3 for Sutter for a better sample size)

• Goldobin  41/101 = 0.41 ppg  
  • Virtanen  45/145 = 0.31 ppg
  • Pearson  67/162 = 0.41 ppg        0.44 career
  • Miller  105/157 = 0.67 ppg
  • Sutter*  66/168 = 0.39 ppg
  • Horvat  105/146 = 0.72 ppg
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

biega > schenn

really doubt any club claims  31 yr old  biega....

Have you seen the Jets defence.  This was TNS's projection during the game on Sunday:

Morrissey Pionk

Beaulieu Kulikov

Bitetto Poolman

• Cheers 1

This is the line up from pre-season play in my eyes to start anyways:

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  Miller

Leivo    Sutter / Gaudette

Motte  Beagle  Schaller

Virtanen

Eriksson

- Roussel returns Waive Eriksson or Schaller? (depending on play) & or trade Virtanen if he doesn't start to put it together while he still can fetch a decent return. Zack MacEwan can fill his boots from what I've seen... (unless Virtanen decides to play to his fullest) 

- If we lose Biega on waivers claim Schenn...

Wednesday can't come quick enough.

Now drop the puck for puck sakes... 

:canucks::towel::canucks:

Guess we all think about everything on a purely hockey level. 

Pretty sure most would agree Schaller nor Loui would get claimed off waivers.  My guess is they hope Sven does get claimed so 3+ mill comes off the books.

The others would not get claimed and 2 mill between them both is all that would come off the cap. 

Maybe JB needs to clear cap space to make a deal.  

Edited by Get real canuck fans
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Anyone can play on the P.K., it’s not like we don’t have options there. Our P.K. sucks anyways so who cares if we dumped him?

Waiving him would have been that ultimate gesture to show that ownership and management is committed to winning. Now it just looks like they’d rather keep playing a 6 million dollar plug to save face.

you mean 2 plugs  to save face    schaller and eriksson  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Believe  

Baertschi would be an upgrade in LA, Edmonton, Anaheim, Ottawa, Phoenix, Colorado could use him for depth in the middle 6... My point is, it's absurd to think Baertschi had no market whatsoever. Especially given he is for sure better than Eriksson. Even if staying healthy is an issue for him at least just put him on ltir... Because what if you're wrong and he doesn't get reconcussed? What if he continues at his pace he was at when he returned and stuck? You're going to look pretty dumb keep Eriksson or Schaller up over him. 

He drives the net well and goes to the right places to score. I will laugh so hard if Calgary gets him.

5 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

It's preseason as well. Don't invest too much stock into it.

Remind me how we ended up with him? and looking at his history he is not a goal scorer so how does he end up on a choice line with Horvat?

Sorry I don't know more about this.... he seems such a nobody to be given a prime spot in the line-up.

Is there more to him thna looks on the record?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Anyone can play on the P.K., it’s not like we don’t have options there. Our P.K. sucks anyways so who cares if we dumped him?

Waiving him would have been that ultimate gesture to show that ownership and management is committed to winning. Now it just looks like they’d rather keep playing a 6 million dollar plug to save face.

I agree with what you are getting at but I wouldn't say the PK sucks, it was ninth until the last couple games and finished at 11th. That's without Sutter for pretty much the entire season and long stretches without Tanev. One of the few bright spots last season and something that should continue to improve.

• Cheers 1