The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Oh so Baertschi can improve at 26 and Leivo can't? 

One of the reasons Leivo didn't come in sooner was the Leafs poor development system. It's no surprise to anyone that team stockpiled 36 added draft picks that thus far has only returned them 3 NHL players so far. 

If Baer doesn't improve, he's still a quality middle 6 player. If Leivo doesn't improve, he's still a fringe NHLer.

And I'm sorry, but outside of 1st rd picks how many players have we developed in the last decade? One? But I'm sure dropping Baertschi down to Utica to syphon top six minutes away from our developing prospects will help change that trend. 

4 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

Remind me how we ended up with him? and looking at his history he is not a goal scorer so how does he end up on a choice line with Horvat?

Sorry I don't know more about this.... he seems such a nobody to be given a prime spot in the line-up.

Is there more to him thna looks on the record?

He’s more established than Sven believe it or not. He’s a bigger body, showed he can hang and perform in the playoffs. Can slot in with skilled players (Jeff Carter, Kopitar, Toffoli). I think he’s a great value considering we only had to give up Gudbranson for him. He looked real comfy with Bo at the end of last season too. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

To be honest, I don't think that Baertschi had a fair chance to make the team this camp. The decision was made long before, Benning said, he tried to move him during the summer.

I think they will miss his skills on the second line, especially Bo.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If Baer doesn't improve, he's still a quality middle 6 player. If Leivo doesn't improve, he's still a fringe NHLer.

And I'm sorry, but outside of 1st rd picks how many players have we developed in the last decade? One? But I'm sure dropping Baertschi down to Utica to syphon top six minutes away from our developing prospects will help change that trend. 

Just since Benning’s arrival

Demko

Tryamkin

Gaudette

Brisebois on the verge of making the next step

Hutton drafted by Gillis developed during Benning’s tenure. 

Stecher as a college FA, Rafferty and Teves looking promising so far Rafferty being further ahead. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Miller, that's not even a fair comparable, Miller was one of the top 3 players in pre-season.  I'm not sure Pearson outplayed him though

Pearsons advantage is he can move to 3rd or even 4th line assignment, if he doesn't click like last year.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Already paid Loui 5 of the 6 million for this coming season.  JB said last year that the talk about sending 

Gagner down was the worst conversation he had with Aquilini.  

Well so it should be... "Eh boss I just bought this this for 9 mill but I don't really like it, so I'm gonna dump it again..."

It doesn't go on the plus side, when evaluating performance prior to contract extension.

Luckily JB has done well in other parts, and FA seems to have bought into, what JB's selling....

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol we kept schaller over baertschi.. this team is gonna struggle for goals outside of the top line. i'm not sold on the resurgence of pearson from last year.. there's a reason LA and Pittsburgh got rid of him. 

As the great Jared McCann once said... :lol:  It is what it is. 

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

When it comes to the playoffs 

I'd rather have Pearson over Baer. NHL playoff xp, size, grit. Playoff scoring.

We are a more playoff like team now. Need size and skill to win. We got both

Despite winning the Cup with a heavy team Doug Armstrong this summer said he still thinks that the league is going towards skills and quick puck movement.  He thinks size will stay true on D though.

Not sure it's really possible to tell who on the team are true playoff performers.  The Wild made all those series of trades because they were stuck in no man's land - their core young players were good in the regular season but struggled to produce in the post-season.    

Who is more productive in the post-season - is it the guy that has the smarts and the hands to get to the net for a quick goal or the big guy who fights for position but might not quite have the finishing touch.  It's also the mental pressure and some guys just don't do well in that kind of environment.  Scheifele was talking of how it's such a different level of mental intensity.  

Pearson was 0.5 in the playoffs in his rookie season at 21 but had only 3pts in 9 games since - none last time.  Ferland has 3pts in 20 playoff games - 1 assist in 7 games with Carolina.  Miller has 3 goals (26pts) in 63 playoff games.   

Edited by mll

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

But Baertschi played better than Eriksson & Schaller in the pre-season. He played better than Eriksson & Schaller last year. He's played better than Eriksson since Loui signed. 

If anything one of these guys deserve to be sent down. Loui's legs are shot & Schaller's brought nothing. Sven can actually score goals. What happens if Pearson struggles? Loui in the top 6 again?

jobs are earned in practice and the gym, not in preseason games. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Does it not make more sense to you infer that JB did not want that conversation because in it he admitted to screwing up the contract???

And if JB had to have another similar conversation with Aqua that JB would AGAIN have to admit he made an even bigger screw up in signing Loui?

I think the entire hockey world knows that JB blew it on that signing, I’m sure the guy that has someone write the cheque’s for him is smart enough to already know this, no admission required.

• Cheers 1