The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’ve said this before,. Finally this organization has a true depth to its field and farm “system” taking shape.

Benning came in here and tore us down to the best floor he could build from.

There are always going to be “fan favourites”, but the sooner we realize that there is a Buisness to this sport that depends not only “in the moment “of a team, but its future as well,  the better fans we become.

Let’s enjoy this ride, Before we know it , a Boeser or Horvat will be moved for another Peterssen,  or the cap space to afford to keep the future of a player just like them.

I really appreciate what Benning is and has created here.

50/1 odds on the Canucks for the Cup?

Hmmmm..  it’s getting fun here again.

Not That you should remember

But 6 months ago, I said that being married to the Sedin's cost us

That we should have moved them a couple of years before they retired

or at least a year, as the assets received would have hastened our rebuild

That story has closed

But your point is the point......someday, we will be in love with Horvat, Pettersson or who ever

and we need to remember, that keeping them until their final day, will slow down our rebuild

And we should remember we need to move them as part of our natural progression

We need to remember that..seriously!

• Upvote 2

Sort of nice to see the guys cleared. Lots of depth, & we're a mill(or so?) under the cap ceiling.

Still would be pleasin if an opportunity for a favourable trade presents itself. Especially a way to open more cap space. Have to also be ready for when the Leivo for Carcone types come along.

More size, speed, & depth will serve us well, over the 82 game grind. GCG!

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

That story has closed

But your point is the point......someday, we will be in love with Horvat, Pettersson or who ever

and we need to remember, that keeping them until their final day, will slow down our rebuild

"We" means our GM and owner right?  It's the GM's job (or one of his jobs) to see a player's decline before it happens.  Then trade that player.  It's the NMC and NTC that make the matter really hard though.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

That story has closed

C'mon the Sedins were never going to waive their NMC's.....just wouldn't happen.

Are you saying that our rebuild won't be complete before Bo and Petey's final days? :mellow:

27 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’ve said this before,. Finally this organization has a true depth to its field and farm “system” taking shape.

There are always going to be “fan favourites”, but the sooner we realize that there is a Buisness to this sport that depends not only “in the moment “of a team, but its future as well,  the better fans we become.

Let’s enjoy this ride, Before we know it , a Boeser or Horvat will be moved for another Peterssen,  or the cap space to afford to keep the future of a player just like them.

The Coilers at 40/1 though?

Sens at 400/1 :) 

Edited by sonoman
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

C'mon the Sedins were never going to waive their NMC's.....just wouldn't happen.

Are you saying that our rebuild won't be complete before Bo and Petey's final days? :mellow:

When Petey, Bo, and Bess are nearing their decline, likely this current window will be closed, and it will be time to rebuild again.  It's like in 2013 when Torts said our core was "stale".  No, we couldn't make real change then, because of the NMC and NTC contracts.  However, when the time comes with our current core, hopefully our management recognizes the decline a year before and makes the necessary hard choices.  We don't really want to repeat these last 6 years do we?   

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

When Petey, Bo, and Bess are nearing their decline, likely this current window will be closed, and it will be time to rebuild again.  It's like in 2013 when Torts said our core was "stale".  No, we couldn't make real change then, because of the NMC and NTC contracts.  However, when the time comes with our current core, hopefully our management recognizes the decline a year before and makes the necessary hard choices.  We don't really want to repeat these last 6 years do we?   

Just having fun with Jan, Alf.

Management of all teams should have that as a priority but it is a lot easier said than done in the salary cap era. NTC's, NMC's and fitting salaries into your cap space always make these moves difficult, particularly when the other teams "recognize the decline" as well. But your point is very valid.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jtutino said:

I think its because hes the best face off guy and they don't want to waste 20sec retrieving the puck on a 5 v 3

I thought of that as well but during the pre-season games it seemed to me that Miller took most of the face-offs even when Bo was out at the same time. I dunno but I guess they have their reasons and you may very well be right.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Roberts said:

I know this has been talked about a ton, but it's too bad we have a line of Schaller-Beagle-Eriksson and not Baertschi-Beagle-Gaudette

Eriksson should be with Sutter/ JV was he is a better playmaker

Leivo can grind it out on the 4th line.

Hopefully Gaudette gets his chance when one of the bottom 6 hops into Greeners doghouse

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

When you look at it beyond the core, it's really just better states/caliber of placeholders. The future we wanted five years ago is indeed taking shape.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Thats your opinion yes.

Well in fairness, I think we can all agree that him sitting in the press box, bonding with Eriksson is a waste of time. Now if he had a regular spot on wing on the third line...

As of right now he doesn't appear to be bumping Leivo or Virtanen though. Benning's got some more bodies to clear by the time Roussel gets back.

• Upvote 2