The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Well, you've already move the goalposts from "the captain needs to be the best player on the team otherwise it creates problems in the locker room" to "the captain doesn't need to be the best player but...."

I disagree with your assertion that Bo isn't a leader because he didn't try to kill Tierney in a preseason game. 

Never said kill Tierney.... but yes a response would have been nice. If you read the post I said it's a example!!

I might have overstated the "needs" part... but usually yes.

Unless you bring a whack of somethin else to the table. Can it lead to issues. Sure can. And like I stated this was not my primary concern.

2 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

I mean it's nothing to laugh at really. I don't think he's ready yet but he has all the qualities to be a great captain down the road. 

That being said, I think Horvat is easily the better captain now and it's not really close.

I think Pettersson would be a lot better off not having to shoulder captaincy responsibilities anyways. Especially as like you said, he's still learning English.

I was suggesting waiting on naming a captian in my original post

1 minute ago, Yung1 said:

Fair. Sorry for assuming. I still think you're take is completely wrong. 

Anyone who has so much of an ego that they're offended that they're not captain should not be your captain anyway.

Maybe your right...  but it happens often.. do you think a 18 year old mcdavid should have been captian.?

4 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Never said kill Tierney.... but yes a response would have been nice. If you read the post I said it's a example!!

I might have overstated the "needs" part... but usually yes.

Unless you bring a whack of somethin else to the table. Can it lead to issues. Sure can. And like I stated this was not my primary concern.

Seems to be about 50% of the time in the NHL, rather than usually. 

There's more to being a leader than being an enforcer. 

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Seems to be about 50% of the time in the NHL, rather than usually. 

There's more to being a leader than being an enforcer. 

If we go by your numbers I'd say 50% is fairly usual. I also said it's not the only thing.... if you bring other things to the table. You tell me who's work ethic and compete level is higher? Bo or Elias

5 minutes ago, Roberts said:

how would that be the worst? Baertschi & Gaudette is a way better combo than Eriksson & Schaller. they even proved it in the preseason.

So Baertschi and Gaudette would be our penalty killers?  You do understand we need to kill penalties right?  Isn’t that why you have a 4th line or do most teams just dress 12 offensive forwards?

6 hours ago, Yung1 said:

Fair. Sorry for assuming. I still think your take is completely wrong. 

Anyone who has so much of an ego that they're offended about not being named captain should not be your captain anyway.

Also the notion that bo is soft is dumb

And no it's not dumb.. he is soft. However he is good at whining at the refs.

Hes just not a drag the entire team through the mud kinda guy. 

Edited by Roger Neilsons Towel
Language in quote edited as content bypassed swear filter
  • Wat 1

38 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Going back in time just off the top of my head

Sakic as C over Forsberg

Messier C over Gretzky

Bucyk  C over Orr

Messier was never the captain over Gretzky. He took over when Gretzky was traded.  Unless you are talking about the Rangers where Messier was already the captain and led them to a Cup before Gretzky even joined them.  

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

McDavid seemed like the right choice for that team

Seriously... come on man... with 0 nhl experiance.. many diffrnet choices... how about RNH.... only reason you make a 18year old captian is his skill... and the fact hes the future. 

1 minute ago, Snapshot85 said:

And no it's not dumb.. he is soft. However he is good at whining at the refs.

Hes just not a drag the entire team through the mud kinda guy. 

I was going to respond to your post about work ethic but I just saw this. So now I'll just give you a 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Baertschi and Gaudette would be our penalty killers?  You do understand we need to kill penalties right?  Isn’t that why you have a 4th line or do most teams just dress 12 offensive forwards?

by my original post I meant i'd rather have Baertschi and Gaudette in the lineup than Eriksson & Schaller. if that's such a problem then don't put them on the penalty kill. the PK doesn't just depend on Eriksson/Schaller.

Seriously... come on man... with 0 nhl experiance.. many diffrnet choices... how about RNH.... only reason you make a 18year old captian is his skill... and the fact hes the future. 

McDavid was 19 and had played an NHL season. 

Come on, this is easy to verify. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

McDavid seemed like the right choice for that team

Not really. Gretzky never became captain until he was 23. They should have picked a veteran but it’s the Oilers and their organization is the most dysfunctional in all of sports right now so it makes sense for them to pick a kid as their captain. 

1 minute ago, Roberts said:

by my original post I meant i'd rather have Baertschi and Gaudette in the lineup than Eriksson & Schaller. if that's such a problem then don't put them on the penalty kill. the PK doesn't just depend on Eriksson/Schaller.

the message being sent is that if you can't contribute to a special teams unit, whether it's pp or pk, you're not doing enough to justify a roster spot for yourself. 

my bad 1 year.... tons of experiance.....its the reason hall was traded imo.... caused locker room issues.... 

I guess we will just have to disagree

it's a well known fact that hall was traded because you wouldn't stop posting baseless nonsense on the internet. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Roberts said:

You need between 4-6 forwards to kill penalties. Most teams create a 4th line for that express purpose so they don’t have to use their star players on the PK. Having Gaudette and Baertschi on the 4th line makes no sense whatsoever.  How many teams in the NHL have skilled forwards on their 4th line who don’t kill penalties?

my bad 1 year.... tons of experiance.....its the reason hall was traded imo.... caused locker room issues.... 

I guess we will just have to disagree

Only based on facts.

McDavid was names Oilers' Captain 3 months after Taylor hall was traded.