The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You need between 4-6 forwards to kill penalties. Most teams create a 4th line for that express purpose so they don’t have to use their star players on the PK. Having Gaudette and Baertschi on the 4th line makes no sense whatsoever.  How many teams in the NHL have skilled forwards on their 4th line who don’t kill penalties?

I didn't know teams do that with the fourth line. The more you know! That makes sense then, I guess it's just unfortunate Baertschi and Gaudette couldn't continue on a line together in general then. I think they had some good chemistry, but I think it's more so Gaudette improving his game. Plus it never hurts having some backup for injuries.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I think they want to go two pure scoring lines and two pure shutdown lines.  That's a mistake IMO.  You need scoring up and down the lineup.  Not half a lineup that is an offensive black hole.

Gotta agree with you on this. First time in years that we’ve had the depth to have three scoring lines and Green has chosen to go with only two. As long as Sutter and Beagle are both playing Centre I think we’re doomed to be mediocre at best.

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

I didn't know teams do that with the fourth line. The more you know! That makes sense then, I guess it's just unfortunate Baertschi and Gaudette couldn't continue on a line together in general then. I think they had some good chemistry, but I think it's more so Gaudette improving his game. Plus it never hurts having some backup for injuries.

Don’t worry, Gaudette’s time will come sooner rather than later.  Sutter won’t be around forever and with his injury history Gaudette could find himself into a full time role as early as this year.  Gaudette has a bright future ahead of him.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Bo has been given a lot of different players to play with, no consistency, yet does he complain?  Nope.  He's asked to play in all situations.  First it was offense.  He improves his offensive game.  Oh no injuries have hit.  We need you to be our defensive shutdown guy.  No worries, he does that too, while getting points.  Oh we need you to take all the important faceoffs.  No problem, Bo will just lead the NHL in that category while also winning most of them.  Bo just goes out and does what a leader does, by being an example.  Bo shows a work ethic, and improves his game every single year.  Bo is counted on in every situation.  If that's not a leader, I don't know what is.  I doubt Travis Green will be leaning on EP to play defensively as much as Bo.  Even teammates call him Cap already.  He's got the respect of management, coaches, and most of all his teammates, and most of us fans also.  

Bo is Captain Canuck, and it will be well deserved!

First let me say that I think Bo will be Captain.

but what you have described is a great team mate and a great foot soldier. I am sure that I would want Bo on my team. YOu said yourself that Bo does all that is asked of him, is that the leader you want? NO one asked Bo to tune up Matheson or Tierney and he didn't. Is that what you want, a leader who does as he is asked and doesn't complain? 

if Bo is not a leader you don't know what is? Maybe you don't. The Canucks have had difficulty naming captains Linden stepped down and handed the C to the guy who broke his ribs. Then there was Naslund who "Choked" and Luongo, the goalie... you seem to favor Bo in part because his mates like him. Other than Brock, who calls Bo Cap? I saw that clip too, but have not seen anyone else say it. What gives Brock the authority to name a captain, he has not been to the playoffs since he was 17. Its not a popularity contest.

You have your criterion and Bo checks all your boxes, personally I just don't see enough difference from past captains that have not been able to get the Canucks over the last hump.

• Wat 2

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Do you know if there a time limit (games played) of a player being either down in the minors or up with big club he becomes re-eligible for waivers?

Such as Baertschi's case? If he were to be recalled, he would be waiver ineligible for either 10 games played, or 30 days. No re-entry waivers, as those were scrapped for the current CBA. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Do you know if there a time limit (games played) of a player being either down in the minors or up with big club he becomes re-eligible for waivers?

IIRC 30 days or 10 games up and they become re-eligible.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

10 games or 30 days on the roster - whatever comes first.   It's cumulative since last clearing waivers - it doesn't get reset if the player hasn't hit the mark and gets sent back down.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2

On 10/1/2019 at 11:41 PM, Roberts said:

by my original post I meant i'd rather have Baertschi and Gaudette in the lineup than Eriksson & Schaller. if that's such a problem then don't put them on the penalty kill. the PK doesn't just depend on Eriksson/Schaller.

Don't you remeber Loui had chemistry with Gaud before Baer? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 12:04 AM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I also thought people were so excited at the end of last year watching Hughes on the PP1 with EP and excited for the future, now they're defending Edler on that unit instead....:wacko:

I rest my case the one and only person who confused emoji me regarding this post :bigblush:

I've said since pre season Hughes should be on the PP1, funny how people are now wanting that :towel: