The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Freddy40 said:

I like Jake fan boi so settle down. It doesn’t mean the criticism of him 4 years into his career coming to camp again out of shape when he should have learned, is unwarranted. He’s a grown man now not an 18 yr old rookie who doesn’t know better or know what the expectations are. You can pretend it’s acceptable, I don’t agree, nor did Green apparently. 

PS he’s no Bertuzzi or Cam Neely. Doesn’t have the hands of Bert nor the hands and drive of Neely. Can he be a 25 goal player, sure but not by coming to camp out of shape. And his rope is getting to the point of being gone with this franchise soon if he doesn’t get it soon  

Shall see bud, “fan boi” really? nice to know a 30 goal guy is the bomb but if Jake “can” be a 25 goal guy it’s aight. 

All I think when you say fan boi is this

1452865099_JPEGimage.jpeg.41a83927b31f69e8af5f16cb0e6d15dc.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Gaudette looks good. He was gassed at times, but only because he works super hard and not because he was hanging out with Jake this summer.

Lind and Mckewen looked good as well, working real hard, but Gadj has a ways to go. Looked a few steps behind in his skating, and his shot isn't very good compared to the rest.

Noticeable for me from today:

1. Meyers is huge and can skate like the wind. He is going to put up some serious numbers this year. I was super impressed.

2. Petey and Hughes are just so incredibly skilled. Unreal. Speechless. Got a new Petey designed hat today and had him sign it too. I'm Pumped.

3. Ferland is jacked. He's seriously built like a truck compared to most our guys. Can't wait to see him protect Petey.

4. Our team rocks.

Im going tomorrow, what was the best spot to get some autographs?

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

I must admit I am almost ready to give up on Jake. Guy could be a top tier power forward but just does not want to work for it. The “kid” has the opposite makeup of the Sedins. 

Doesn’t meet training expectations. Plays like an a hole in the world juniors, and can’t even sign a few autographs? What a Jake Ass 

As far as I am concerned JB should package him off and let’s move on from him. I personally consider him a bust 

Dump the underachieving generation zero for the 4th round pick he is worth 

What had you accomplished by the time you were 23?  Really, I am curious.

I suspect NOTHING.  Jake is a young man still learning about both life and hockey. The fact you have given up on him means NOTHING.

He seems like a nice young man to me. I hope he continues to mature and improve and contribute to the Canucks.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I honestly am happy to hear this.  I met Jake last year when he was out and about with fans....he was super chill and taking it all in.  Truth be told, perhaps this IS him totally focusing on the goal at hand and wanting to avoid the hoopla and distractions.  If it means he's taking this seriously, I'm all for him doing the on ice stuff then bolting. 

I see it as a positive.  There'll be lots of time for fans and autographs after the business at hand is through.  Right now, I respect the fact that he's not engaging in the fanfare...speaks volumes to me of his mindset.   Right where it needs to be.

We definitely see it differently. I've been a Jake supporter forever, and still am 100%, but it's disappointing in what he brought to camp, because now it forces him to also skip the fans. He shouldn't have to put his head down like that because he should've come to camp in shape. I like the approach Green is taking with him, but it's still just disappointing he's not tip top like everyone else at camp. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Freddy40 said:

Is that why green sent him a message first day? Because he improved? Really?

PS Kesler was one of the fittest Canucks and left because we were entering a rebuild and he wanted a chance at a cup. 

...well that and Canuck Christmas parties were uncomfortable because he had intimate relations with the other players wives.  He is a dbag.

Edit; https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/15-nhl-players-who-ruined-another-players-relationship/

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Freddy40 said:

Go read my post about chicken wings. That’s actually the goal he missed. Green expected him to be able to eat more chicken wings in one sitting as that’s a typical offseason goal for a pro hockey player 

laughable man, your denial is laughable 

are you related to him? Sure seems like it lol

The only thing laughable are your assumptions champ.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Those posters making up narratives won't get it no matter how you spell it out for them.  They obviously are not detailed oriented persons. They read something and their minds automatically jump to a conclusion that was not stated, and then they stick with it no matter how silly they look.

Oh well. I completely agree with you but you could never convince them. Hell, if Green and Jake both came out and said the issue was that Jake missed the media gig those posters would probably just say they are covering for the real problem which was conditioning.   

Is the media gig = “not meeting offseason expectations”? Dude why can’t you people accept that he came to camp out of shape? Does that mean 245 lbs? No, but it means he didn’t commit as he should have in the offseason and as a fan, I for one hoped he had grown up enough to take it seriously like Bo and Petey. He didn’t.

It seems those who like Jake think he can’t be criticized, and I like Jake and have since day one and have supported him against a lot of those who bashed him. However I also have common sense and call a spade a spade, and anyone with common sense can infer the issue and see he’s deserving of criticism. It’s quite obvious if you take the blinders off. 

Edited by Freddy40
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

You act like you know for a fact it's his fitness.....are you the water boy? Maybe you know something the rest of us don't.....

I watched Jake today, and he was just ok. Visibly gassed, tho, compared to everyone else. He struggled at times because of his cardio.

I also saw him out back on his way to the bus (and off the bus when he left to go for food with some of the other guys), and he's visibly holding extra lbs. It's his fitness and preparation for camp. He didn't put enough effort in. It's not the end of the world, and I personally like Green's approach to this, but it's still disappointing to see. 

49 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

Im going tomorrow, what was the best spot to get some autographs?

Out back was good before they get into the bus.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If Goldy gets to play in games with Horvat and JT Miller he is getting a hell of an  opportunity.  Personally I want all Canuck players to succeed and it would be huge for the Canucks if Goldy has taken a big step forward this year and shows well with Bo and JT. It would be huge for both Goldy and the team.

It would allow both Baer and Pearson to player lower down in the lineup for additional scoring on our 3rd line.

We shall see how it turns out in the coming month...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

I watched Jake today, and he was just ok. Visibly gassed, tho, compared to everyone else. He struggled at times because of his cardio.

I also saw him out back on his way to the bus (and off the bus when he left to go for food with some of the other guys), and he's visibly holding extra lbs. It's his fitness and preparation for camp. He didn't put enough effort in. It's not the end of the world, and I personally like Green's approach to this, but it's still disappointing to see. 

Out back was good before they get into the bus.

I reapect the way you put it. 

You also didn't try to uses reports or interviews to prove your point when neither know nothing....

you didn't put fake news out there....you went off your own view of him....

i wasn't there so I'll take your word....

i still think green and Jake are trying to figure out his perfect size....the guy has been all over the place weight wise over the years.....

is it bad? Like I don't think his as big as he was before Utica....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

I reapect the way you put it. 

You also didn't try to uses reports or interviews to prove your point when neither know nothing....

you didn't put fake news out there....you went off your own view of him....

i wasn't there so I'll take your word....

i still think green and Jake are trying to figure out his perfect size....the guy has been all over the place weight wise over the years.....

is it bad? Like I don't think his as big as he was before Utica....

It's not the same, but I don't think it's far off. It'll probably take him a couple of weeks to shred some excess, so not the worst, but he's behind for sure and will be for a while compared to our other guys. It sucks. You just really want him to get it, and he will one day, but there was high hopes this camp would be it, and here we are again talking about him once again. Hopefully the fact he's done this before will mean he bounces back faster this time :lol:

• Upvote 2

I find it puzzling why Jake would duck fans and not sign autographs on back to back days when every other player is willing to do that. If this isn't an acceptable time for him to do that for the fans...I dont know when is. This is a low pressure time, it is the start of camp, not like its the stretch drive for a playoff run or something...

A pro athlete has to be professional on and off the ice. If fans didnt pay to go watch the games athletes would make less $. If he doesn't like the pressure of playing here then he needs to go have a talk with JB if he isn't willing to put in the work or be graceful towards the fans and spend a small amount of time signing autographs.

• Upvote 1