The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So...how'd the unheralded guys do?  Focht?  the PTOs, the call ups?  Does it look like a good crop possibly heading to Utica?  

How are our prospects looking?

Utica should be pretty good just based on our depth. Comments below are from others posts here.

Gaudette will be sent down until we move someone like Sutter or there’s an injury, which will be best for his game as he’ll likely be our 1C down there. Hopefully that helps a player like Lind as well. Some said Lind looked quick and was working hard. 

Juolevi same as Gaudette. Apparently he looks solid just needs some time (Obvious reasons), but positive to hear that he’s looking like the quality we hoped.

A few said Mckewan, Chatfield looked good as well. 

Gadj apparently looked a step behind and it seems unless he deals with this skating (maybe drop some weight) he’s going to be in tough to make this level. 

Edited by Freddy40
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Don't you love it when people resort to personal attacks to try and prove a point, completely removing the context of the situation in the process? 

Exactly 

The guy kind of walked into that one 

I have pulled for Jake since he arrived. I maddens me to see him just seem to not care. 

So many players with way less natural talent than Jake work 10 times harder...wish Jake would work 2 times harder 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Exactly 

The guy kind of walked into that one 

I have pulled for Jake since he arrived. I maddens me to see him just seem to not care. 

So many players with way less natural talent than Jake work 10 times harder...wish Jake would work 2 times harder 

Often happens with athletes. Those with natural gifts often rest on them and never learn to compete harder because they haven’t had to growing up, they were just that much better physically. It’s also a reason why their game sense often doesn’t develop as well.

Counter to that, athletes that aren’t as physically gifted learn that training, out competing, and drive can level the playing field (aka Beiga, Stecher, etc) and they also develop their game sense more because in order to compete, they often have to out think their opponents (because they are not going to compete based on their physical ability, whether that’s size, speed, or strength, or combination.)

The truly great players have not only the physical ability but the drive to get better and develop their game sense as well. Ie Crosby, McKinnon, Petey, even Bo. 

Jake is not at the level of Petey and Bo but if he had their drive, there’s no doubt in my mind he could be as effective as a player like Jake Debrusk for instance. I just hope he decides he wants it enough before his rope is gone here.

Edited by Freddy40
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Buff and Kessel make millions of dollars per year and are top athletes in the best hockey league in the world.

You make weird comments on line.

And THEY are the embarrassment.   hahahh ok pal

But common sense though! Let's all trash our players so they want to leave! There's only room here for assumptions and bashing. 

Edited by Per Her Son
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic
1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

Opening again. Please refrain from personal attacks, or suspensions will be handed out.

So stealth what you think of camp? 

You think Brock missing much? Also you think his skating has gotten better or will his wrist be all good? Think he slimed down for more speed?

any of the prospects stick out for yea?

23 hours ago, Freddy40 said:

Often happens with athletes. Those with natural gifts often rest on them and never learn to compete harder because they haven’t had to growing up, they were just that much better physically. It’s also a reason why their game sense often doesn’t develop as well.

Counter to that, athletes that aren’t as physically gifted learn that training, out competing, and drive can level the playing field (aka Beiga, Stecher, etc) and they also develop their game sense more because in order to compete, they often have to out think their opponents (because they are not going to compete based on their physical ability, whether that’s size, speed, or strength, or combination.)

The truly great players have not only the physical ability but the drive to get better and develop their game sense as well. Ie Crosby, McKinnon, Petey, even Bo. 

Jake is not at the level of Petey and Bo but if he had their drive, there’s no doubt in my mind he could be as effective as a player like Jake Debrusk for instance. I just hope he decides he wants it enough before his rope is gone here.

Well said

what gets me is frankly Jake did not have the look far to see the role models. The Sedins were talented but always pushed themselves, played hard, kept in shape and made time for the fans. They were, and still are, true class 

open you eyes Jake before it’s too late 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Per Her Son said:

Or maybe they had some extreme weight targets they wanted him to hit while maintaining a low body fat percentage. This can be extremely difficult to do and aligns with him stating that he was so close and would also explain why he would be more tired than usual, playing at a heavier weight. 

Boxers struggle to make weight all the time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/mar/13/scott-quigg-long-list-recent-failures-make-weight

Image result for butterbean

• Haha 1