The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Freddy40 said:

Sure dude, but the game has changed and so have expectations of teammates and the team. Players are training harder, eating smarter and “year round pros” now. The days of Lafleur smoking in the room between periods, Krutov and his Hot Dogs are over. 

There’s a reason for that expectation, because camp is shorter, competition is stronger, and games are faster and harder. 

Look, it’s obvious he wasn’t ready for camp. He should have been one of the fittest given his history, his competition and to simply show he’s learned to be a pro. He disappointed the coach, his teammates and fans. Hopefully this is the last time, because if he does it again, he’ll be traded I’m sure of that .

i don’t want that, because I want him to “get it” here. But I’m also not going to ignore the issue and pretend it’s not real like many here.

I don't exactly disagree with your point but, you make it in such an unlikable way... Also by Travis' interview today whatever Jake was being punished for was so minor that even what people who saw him live yesterday called "disappointing" and "he was struggling" was enough for Travis to decide to let him back with the main group.

In general if you're trying to make a point, use only the facts (no embellishing), don't be an ass with the sarcasm (especially when you're trying to pass off what you inferred from the interview as facts), and don't pretend to be an expert if you aren't one.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And then Jake just lays on the ice, and lets Quinn do a wrap around.  Does Jake not have any compete, or what the hell is wrong with him?

Maybe you should think that Hughes is that good a player and that good an athlete that others just can't keep up with him.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

It's a bit of both imo. Its only scrimmage.  But Jake has to get up and knock Hughes ass down to the ice. Trip him. Hack him down.. do anything do something .  I bet Pod would..  

But imagine that was Poskolzin. No freaking way Pod lays there on the ice doing nothing.  He wouldn't let it get that far but if it did he'd be angry about it...

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

It's a bit of both imo. Its only scrimmage.  But Jake has to get up and knock Hughes down. Trip him. Hack him down.. do anything do something .  I bet Pod would..  

But imagine that was Poskolzin. No freaking way Pod lays there on the ice doing anything.  He wouldn't let it get that far but if he did he's be angry about it...

Totally agree.  Jake lacks character. That’s why I firmly believe JB was told by ?Boston’s he wasn’t allude to be part of that 2014 first round.  No way he picks ?Virtanen.  JB is about character.  Do Jake or McCan  gave character?  Neither are JB kind of guys.  They seem like ?Delores picks. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So...how'd the unheralded guys do?  Focht?  the PTOs, the call ups?  Does it look like a good crop possibly heading to Utica?  

How are our prospects looking?

3 hours ago, Knucklehd said:

I was pleasantly surprised with Focht.  Didn't excel, but didn't look out of place.  Likewise for Woo.  I think Utica is going to have a fast skilled team this year.  Defense looks solid too.

Coach Green liked Focht and Rafferty. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Jake needs a bite to his game.. 

His size and package is a waste without snarl.. 

He might end up like Hutton next summer. Hes not getting a contract unless he makes some serious changes. 

He seems.

to have lost that drive.

You see EP so far on and off the ice. You see him dominate and set an example on the ice. Then spend 1 hour signing autographs.  That's a drive to be the absolute best pro.

Virt shows up out of shape.  Then he doesn't show desperation on ice and just lays there like a beached whale after being embarrased. Then skips media interviews...

His team mates can't be impressed with that.

Jakes never really had bite or snarl besides an ability to throw his weight around from time to time. His game is a skill goal scorer, not a PWF, he just had physical gifts. Traditional PWF has never been his game, even going back to junior.

Podkolzin has the battle level & intensity that Jake has never had. He was probably in the NHL too early, the signs are there that management doesn't view him like the other young players IMO. If the right offer ever came along I don't think he'd be a deal breaker from our end. He was already rumored to be a piece in acquiring 1 year of Tyson Barrie. 

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

Those that are there say Jake looks fine and say that we should all wait for the season to start before judging. You and Alf see one clip and again starts the condemnation and trampling of the player.

One clip. You say Jake should have drilled QH to the ice. Imagine what all of you would have said if that had happened. The kid has no chance of ever pleasing some of you. Wowza!!!

Well, Jakes been the best skater on the team, atleast before Hughes. And he got dominated by a player much smaller & much weaker.

Quinn is a rare skater so I don't blame Jake for losing, but the fact he got embarrassed with his superior physical advantage & comparable skating (never-mind NHL experience) just isn't a good look. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

And then Jake just lays on the ice, and lets Quinn do a wrap around.  Does Jake not have any compete, or what the hell is wrong with him?

saw the Sedins coast to the bench one too many times....lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

It's a bit of both imo. Its only scrimmage.  But Jake has to get up and knock Hughes ass down to the ice. Trip him. Hack him down.. do anything do something .  I bet Pod would..  

But imagine that was Poskolzin. No freaking way Pod lays there on the ice doing nothing.  He wouldn't let it get that far but if it did he'd be angry about it...

Yeah, Jake needs to use his assets against Hughes...just like Hughes used his against JV....Jake needed to knock him down, and physically pound him....Hughes would have needed Ferland to step in.

• Upvote 1