Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I don't think the purpose of that drill was for Jake to simply pound Hughes to the ground.  The drill also shows the phenomenal skill and talent of Hughes.  He's going to embarrass a lot of players much better then Jake.  Imagine what he will do in open ice playing with Petey and Brock.

 

Jake will be fine on the 3rd line.  His skating is elite and if he can pop in 15-20 goals then that is the best case scenario for him.  Perhaps Ferland will light a fire under him and he starts to take the body more.  Jake is not a fighter or a true power forward ala Bertuzzi.  He's Bertuzzi light with elite skating.  Ferland is a true power forward and that's why we got him so he can play with the big boys.  

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are hard on Jake because he was such a high draft pick, lots is expected of him and the players after him have had more success in the league so far. It is only natural for fans/media etc to compare a players drafted close together early on in the draft. 20g should be him having a bad year imo, but I feel his hockey IQ is not as high as other top players and that is causing him to struggle a bit, he looks lost or unsure of what to do on the ice sometimes. An athlete should know they need to come into camp in amazing shape, will there be rust for sure!

 

Jake is no longer a 19 or 20 yr old kid. He must start to show bigger gains as a player at his age now. We brought in players who will surpass him in the line up. I think management knows what they have in Jake and that is why they went out to get some more bonafide top 6 help in JT  Miller and Ferland. Hopefully Jake can learn from those 2 guys and improve his game

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From The Hockey Writers 

Canucks Weekly: Pettersson, Hughes, Virtanen & More http://flip.it/VnyXZp and

 

The Jake Virtanen Saga

We all knew something was up when Jake Virtanen was not present in the first two training camp groups. It turns out head coach Travis Green was sending a message. Virtanen once again failed to pass his physical. Despite saying that he worked hard in the offseason, his conditioning was not up to par in Green’s eyes.

We both agreed that there were goals that had to be met and that if he didn’t reach them he probably wouldn’t be with the first two groups on the first day of camp. There’s nothing more than that.

-Travis Green

If Virtanen genuinely wants to improve and become a legitimate NHL player, he has to start putting in the work. With the extra opportunity created by the absence of Boeser, he should be extra motivated. As of now, that does not seem to be the case.

Virtanen returned to the main group the next day, so clearly the demotion was a not so subtle message to the 23-year-old. He may have taken it to heart, as he looked much better on the ice compared to the previous day. He still looks like he’s labouring a bit, but improvement is good to see.

 

 

What many, including myself, have said a few times in this thread. He'll be fine, and a message has been sent, but us fans are still allowed to be disappointed that he didn't meet his goals. Anyways, moving on.

 

I'll be at the game in Calgary tomorrow and will give some thoughts on what I see. Pretty. Effing. Excited. To put it mildly. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why many are so on this.  When Jake is in his forties he may carry a few extra pounds like many of us but Green never mentions Physical goals or weight goals, he said goals.  Face it, we are all just guessing   No need to get nasty about Jake personally.  I said it before and I will say it again: the funny thing about reading between the lines is, THERE IS NOTHING THERE!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Per Her Son said:

It's not nearly as ruthless. I used no names and was vague. If someone feels offended, maybe they're actually feeling shame. Appropriate. 

ha ha simpsons GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IRR said:

100%!!! I’ve followed this forum for years, but just started posting recently. I’ve spend a lot of that time trying to stand up against the negativity / ignorance of some of these so called fans / media because it’s gotten so out of control. A few times I got backlash for it.....and I’m like is this for real?! Different opinions are welcome, but when it’s negativity based on just being negative / ignorance / completely inaccurate info, it’s bulls*** and exhausting. People are defending it, but I think the Boeser / Virtanen stuff proves my point...extreme hate / negativity that has no justification / backing. The media / some fans are constantly looking for something to be negative / b**** about! I think some of us are just done with it. 

I think the Boeser threads are great examples of civil disagreement actually.  Everyone loves Boes, I haven't seen disgusting behaviour like this at all.

 

The LE thread on the other hand........

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, stawns said:

We finally have a good, deep team.  Finally excited for a camp and this thread turns into an absolute troll cess pool.......shut it down please.

 

 I agree,

 

this is whole bashing jake thing has been beaten to death and beyond. Not saying it isn’t deserved, simply saying we have all had our 2 cents and then some. Time to change the tune to another topic, ANY TOPIC! 

 

Time me to get excited and talk about some positives! How many pages of hate has there been in this thread now...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Canucklehead53 said:

 I agree,

 

this is whole bashing jake thing has been beaten to death and beyond. Not saying it isn’t deserved, simply saying we have all had our 2 cents and then some. Time to change the tune to another topic, ANY TOPIC! 

 

Time me to get excited and talk about some positives! How many pages of hate has there been in this thread now...

It's not deserved, not even remotely.  It's disgusting.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IRR said:

100%!!! I’ve followed this forum for years, but just started posting recently. I’ve spend a lot of that time trying to stand up against the negativity / ignorance of some of these so called fans / media because it’s gotten so out of control. A few times I got backlash for it.....and I’m like is this for real?! Different opinions are welcome, but when it’s negativity based on just being negative / ignorance / completely inaccurate info, it’s bulls*** and exhausting. People are defending it, but I think the Boeser / Virtanen stuff proves my point...extreme hate / negativity that has no justification / backing. The media / some fans are constantly looking for something to be negative / b**** about! I think some of us are just done with it. 

Jake is 23.  Green, in a recent interview, said coaching is like being a parent, and stuff about developing some players with tough lessons.  He was clearly taking about Jake.  Jake lacks compete.  High compete athletes don’t need to be taught lessons like a child.  

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think the Boeser threads are great examples of civil disagreement actually.  Everyone loves Boes, I haven't seen disgusting behaviour like this at all.

 

The LE thread on the other hand........

I agree that there is some civil disagreement, but I’ve seen some that’s not so civil. Lol! 

 

Yes to Eriksson...and now Virtanen. 

 

Thankfully, there’s fans that can still discuss hockey in a civil manner minus the unjustified negativity...which is so much nicer / fun! 

Edited by IRR
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake is 23.  Green, in a recent interview, said coaching is like being a parent, and stuff about developing some players with tough lessons.  He was clearly taking about Jake.  Jake lacks compete.  High compete athletes don’t need to be taught lessons like a child.  

That’s definitely fair, but it can be discussed without the unjustified negativity / hate! Why would it be unreasonable to discuss where Virtanen is at / where he need to get to in a constructive manner????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm heading down to the practice/scrimmage this morning!  Anyone know if the doors are open at 9am again?  I know the event starts at 10am, but just curious if the doors open sooner!?  Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, stawns said:

We finally have a good, deep team.  Finally excited for a camp and this thread turns into an absolute troll cess pool.......shut it down please.

 

Sadly this isn't the only thread becoming a troll breeding ground. Seems like the lack of sunshine lately is turning everything a nasty brown sludge on here. Let's pray for some sun so people quit being so nasty to each other on here....

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.