The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

38 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

It's actually pretty cool just watching the coaches and the goalies.  Clark has the coaches moving the puck around to examine goalies movements, angles and tracking...kinda cool.

Ya I was watching that too yesterday. Very cool. I noticed Bo and Manny chatting lots yesterday too. I talked to Murph yesterday about Bo and he thinks he should be captain and then reiterated that it may not happen this year. 

Have fun. Looking forward to some updates :towel:

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Kinda stinks that there are no streams of the Canucks camp (someone can correct me if I am wrong). Detroit is streaming their camp on their youtube, with commentary no less. I'd take just the on ice audio for the Canucks (sticks, skates etc).

Canucks Sports Entertainment barely does $&!# compared to all other teams in terms of fan engagement. Detroit is one of the world's biggest dumps and they know they have to try extra hard to build hype around their team. Sadly no matter how poorly we engage our fans, our arena will still pretty much sell out. 

Detroit, or any other American team generally does more for coverage. 

And I'm not even mentioning how bad our pre game and post game coverage is... That's on Roger's tho and not CSE. 

It's a shame but it is what it is. 

The organization needs a president that actually pushes for things like this to engage fans. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, apollo said:

Canucks Sports Entertainment barely does $&!# compared to all other teams in terms of fan engagement. Detroit is one of the world's biggest dumps and they know they have to try extra hard to build hype around their team. Sadly no matter how poorly we engage our fans, our arena will still pretty much sell out. 

Detroit, or any other American team generally does more for coverage. 

And I'm not even mentioning how bad our pre game and post game coverage is... That's on Roger's tho and not CSE. 

It's a shame but it is what it is. 

The organization needs a president that actually pushes for things like this to engage fans. 

Maybe, but this morning, before the goalies came out, they had 5 minor league teams having a morning skate with the Canuck players.  I would argue that is more important than streaming training camp...as much as I would love that when not in Victoria 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I think it is pointless to talk about where these guys were drafted and far more important where they are today. I am not saying that it is not important to show up at camp in shape and meeting training goals, but ultimately, players will be in shape by the end of it all. Some in better shape than others, but all will be in shape. All are individuals, and all bring different disciplines to the game.

This is why, for a lot of the time, it shows the difference between a Pettersson and a Virtanen. Obviously, Pettersson takes his craft more seriously. But to blame Virtanen for being who he is at nauseum is to open up the argument that everyone fails to some extent. 

To me, it is now a matter, of who fills in what hole, and does our collection of players stack up well against other teams. I think we do, and Jake's contribution will be important in the position and role he is given.

It strikes me at this moment, is that is it Jake's fault that he was drafted so high? Does he seriously have the skills of a Pettersson or a Q. Hughes, did he ever have? I think the blame, which should not be dealt with here, lands on who ever wanted him at that pick. And that should be the end of that in a training camp forum. Period!

Jake is a 3rd line player, who, as he gains more and more experience will become more and more important in that position. 20 goals is not anything to sneeze at, and his speed and size combination is unique to some degree in the NHL. Especially, for a 3rd line player.

IMO, whether it is Pettersson, Jake or Alex Biega, or who ever is on the team, as long as they play up to their potential during games, is fine with me. As long as they play to their abilities and personality...……...is it right to demand more from Pettersson? To drag him down because he does not fight? No, it is not in him. How about Linden? No, it was not in him. Jake is Jake, love him for who he is and what he brings.

What about those Canucks, Heh!

• Cheers 3

13 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Went there today and was impressed with some of the young players and our overall depth:

-Lind and Woo were two young guys with jump.  I think Lind has a bounce back year 

-Fantenberg is a guy that looks like someone stole his candy bar.  I think Markstrom mentioned something about shooting high and he just kept yapping back with that it hit his stick with a get the hell out of here stare.  Definitely has an edge.

-Eriksson had a breakaway chance and hit the brakes.  Checked out and needs to go.  Can’t believe his effort level out there.  Even Beagle laid the body on him because he was likely tired of the effort.

-Virtanen unless playing 20 mins a night will be fine with his fitness.  Still fast and his shot is still hard.  Blown out of proportion.

-Keppen was huge and was really trying hard out there.

-Justin Bailey is huge and super fast.  Would have thought he was a top prospect. Could be a key call up.

-Goldobin was battling hard with Miller in one of the drills.  He’s not afraid to go to the dirty areas.  He put a playful cross check to Petey and Ferland stepped in but it was all in fun.

-Petey out of this world.  

-Hughes out of this world.

13 hours ago, Freddy40 said:

Utica should be pretty good just based on our depth. Comments below are from others posts here.

Gaudette will be sent down until we move someone like Sutter or there’s an injury, which will be best for his game as he’ll likely be our 1C down there. Hopefully that helps a player like Lind as well. Some said Lind looked quick and was working hard. 

Juolevi same as Gaudette. Apparently he looks solid just needs some time (Obvious reasons), but positive to hear that he’s looking like the quality we hoped.

A few said Mckewan, Chatfield looked good as well. 

Gadj apparently looked a step behind and it seems unless he deals with this skating (maybe drop some weight) he’s going to be in tough to make this level. 

13 hours ago, Knucklehd said:

I was pleasantly surprised with Focht.  Didn't excel, but didn't look out of place.  Likewise for Woo.  I think Utica is going to have a fast skilled team this year.  Defense looks solid too.

Thanks for the heads up guys.  Appreciate it

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

Maybe, but this morning, before the goalies came out, they had 5 minor league teams having a morning skate with the Canuck players.  I would argue that is more important than streaming training camp...as much as I would love that when not in Victoria 

There is someone taking high quality video of the game though. It shouldn't be an either or thing. The Canucks have their own youtube channel. It just seems lazy to not be streaming the video if they're shooting the game to piece together highlights for their website.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/camp--day-2-scrimmage-highlights/t-277437438/c-68851103

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1