The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Not a whole lot of definition on those arms and still looks pretty baby faced, for a guy he is being paid to be in the gym all summer.  

How do you not look baby faced?  I don't think there's a workout for your face. lol

Maybe he should get hit in the face with the puck a bit more and get some scars. :ph34r:

Edited by Viper007
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Not huge, just lean muscle and less body fat %, I think is actually makes it easier to distribute oxygen. 

Look at the mma, some guys just don’t get that Lean and cut look, look how fast Jake can skate muscle fibre is not an issue.

On 9/15/2019 at 3:29 AM, FaninMex said:

OK let us look at this.

1. Jake's style of play is take the man or go through the player. He cannot do that in this case as QH has greater value and he cannot hurt him. This handicaps Jake's ability to defend.

2. Video is 10-20 seconds long. What was going on before?

3. I was never very good but I sometime beat people that were much better than me for various reasons. This one moment did not mean I was suddenly exceptional. It means I beat them once. Nothing more.

4. Saying Pod would have / could have... I did not see him do it so can he? Would he dare? I do not know. How can you know for certain?

I was too hard on Virtanen in that, that's my bad. Your right. Hughes is a stud could make alot of guys look silly.

I think a better critique would be that it seems to be the same thing with Virt. Not always using his superior phyiscal gifts. He says the right things about being hard to play against exc & then it always fades away. Questions about commitment have seemed to dog him too. (Since starting with Green in Utica I do think hes been righting that ship)

Speaking on Podkolzin. Jake is a way better skater than Pod, and I'd say hes stronger too. But pod has the pitbull mentality Jake doesnt come close too. If Jake had a bit of that the tone around him would be much different imo.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think we will see the first round of cuts after today's split-squad games. May be announced tomorrow.

Most likely will.

Pure speculation on my part but think these players / goalies are the most likely to be cut tomorrow.

Arseneau, Bancks, Hamilton, Sadowy, Sorenson, Stevenson, Frye, Petgrave,

Warm, Kielly, DiPietro and Silovs plus Ferraro if he gets signed to AHL contract.

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I was too hard on Virtanen in that, that's my bad. Your right. Hughes is a stud could make alot of guys look silly.

I think a better critique would be that it seems to be the same thing with Virt. Not always using his superior phyiscal gifts. He says the right things about being hard to play against exc & then it always fades away. Questions about commitment have seemed to dog him too. (Since starting with Green in Utica I do think hes been righting that ship)

Speaking on Podkolzin. Jake is a way better skater than Pod, and I'd say hes stronger too. But pod has the pitbull mentality Jake doesnt come close too. If Jake had a bit of that the tone around him would be much different imo.

I think that's true, but stretching it.  Few have Jakes speed. 

Pod is way more intense. Stops, starts hard in the other direction to pursue the puck. Agility. Crushing hard turns? Never leaves his check, dogs them voraciously. His ability to skate, a part that does not include sheer speed, is a part of that. The aerobic capacity to play at that intensity!

Jake turns wide, and tries to use his speed to catch up. Fly by's. As much as he is more fit than CDC is giving him credit for?  You simply cannot be among the leagues fastest skaters without? He does not, is my projection, however keep up with Pod in any battle drill from the slot, to the corner, and back, with or without the puck. That's part of skating, part of fitness too...

• Upvote 1