The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I think that's true, but stretching it.  Few have Jakes speed. 

Pod is way more intense. Stops, starts hard in the other direction to pursue the puck. Agility. Crushing hard turns? Never leaves his check, dogs them voraciously. His ability to skate, a part that does not include sheer speed, is a part of that. The aerobic capacity to play at that intensity!

Jake turns wide, and tries to use his speed to catch up. Fly by's. As much as he is more fit than CDC is giving him credit for?  You simply cannot be among the leagues fastest skaters without? He does not, is my projection, however keep up with Pod in any battle drill from the slot, to the corner, and back, with or without the puck. That's part of skating, part of fitness too...

For sure. Podkolzin's stride could be improved from an efficiency standpoint but he's certainly not slow, nor will it hold him back. He gets it done through sheer will that few young players have. 

I didn't mean that as a knock against Podkolzin as I did a compliment to Jake. He's a gifted player physically, including his skating. Guys with his weight/strength don't usually fly so naturally like that. If you were to have 10 battle drills I don't think for a second Jake would beat Pod the majority, but if you dump the puck in from the far blue line I'd think Jake would get there first. 

I think thats where the frustration comes in with Jake. So gifted physically. But Podkolzin is coming & he's a better prospect. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Viper007 said:

He doesn't look like he's out of shape to me .... I'm wondering if it's something small, like he didn't reach his windgate testing goal or something similar.  He doesn't look out of shape like he did his second training camp.  

He didn't to me either!  You should have seen this kids calves lol they were huge!  And he's pretty thick in his shoulders and chest.  I'm guessing that his conditioning wasn't up to snuff!?  He looks fit, but can he carry it around the ice consistently, that's the question! :mellow:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kirk mcleans baby said:

YESSSSS!!!!!!! :frantic::gocan:  

Yeah, 3 years at $5.875M. I'll take it! 

Glad the saga is over, I would have loved a long term deal as I think it could have saved us a couple M per season against the cap, but that is up to Brock to stay healthy and produce like an Elite level player for these next 3 years

• Cheers 1

Green is right. Goldy has a half step on last year and definitely more drive to be in the play, at least from the first few shifts I've seen.

Good reads, always near the puck and didn't unplug the controller coming hard for the backcheck either. So far so good.

4 minutes ago, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

And that's how JV shuts people up. Very happy for him.

His goals were nice, but he still has consistency issues. He was lost all game until the two times he got the puck on his stick. And that's the thing, he has it in him, and we all see it, he just needs to work on his game when he doesn't have the puck. 

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

His goals were nice, but he still has consistency issues. He was lost all game until the two times he got the puck on his stick. And that's the thing, he has it in him, and we all see it, he just needs to work on his game when he doesn't have the puck. 

And I'm not saying that there isn't fair criticism of him, or that he doesn't have things he needs to work on. I'm suggesting he (hopefully) put and end to the ridiculous, wild speculation (including one 'article's' headline stating he failed the physical) and hyperbole that has dominated this topic the last few days.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

And I'm not saying that there isn't fair criticism of him, or that he doesn't have things he needs to work on. I'm suggesting he (hopefully) put and end to the ridiculous, wild speculation (including one 'article's' headline stating he failed the physical) and hyperbole that has dominated this topic the last few days.

There have definitely been some posters who rip way to harsh on him. But it is still disappointing that he hasn't fully matured yet. I think this year is his year to truly silence his critics. And if he does, and he shows up to camp next year exceeding his goals with Green, then I think we're in for a treat, because he has so much potential that it's crazy, which I think is why he gets so ripped on by some fans. We need him.

I gotta say, even with his poor play throughout the game, seeing him rip those shots was fantastic. I got to elbow my two buds (flames fans) haaard on either side of me and I have Jake to thank :)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kirk mcleans baby said:

He didn't to me either!  You should have seen this kids calves lol they were huge!  And he's pretty thick in his shoulders and chest.  I'm guessing that his conditioning wasn't up to snuff!?  He looks fit, but can he carry it around the ice consistently, that's the question! :mellow:

They dont call him Big Tuna for nothing ::D

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

There have definitely been some posters who rip way to harsh on him. But it is still disappointing that he hasn't fully matured yet. I think this year is his year to truly silence his critics. And if he does, and he shows up to camp next year exceeding his goals with Green, then I think we're in for a treat, because he has so much potential that it's crazy, which I think is why he gets so ripped on by some fans. We need him.

I gotta say, even with his poor play throughout the game, seeing him rip those shots was fantastic. I got to elbow my two buds (flames fans) haaard on either side of me and I have Jake to thank :)

Would have been nice to see. I was watching the other game.