The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Id bet Schaller / Leivo / Sutter / Eriksson / Goldy - Jake has intangibles and can go anywhere in the lineup, too versatile, too much potential, too much invested.. (Maybe just wishful thinking, I love Jake!)

I don't know that Sutter is being shopped, it would have to be a C swap if it was. The 4 imo would be Schaller, Loui, Leivo and Goldy. If there's a 5th I think its Baer. 

I guess the deal could be, if you take Loui you can pick any/all of Schaller, Leivo, Goldy or Bear :lol:

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Good cuts, expected. Lind is higher on the depth chart than Gadj is all I take from that. 

As for the 31 thoughts bit, if it's not Jake or Goldy then Motte/Leivo/Schaller? Says 4 or 5 guys being shopped, I'm thinking they're all forwards. No one would touch Eriksson. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't know that Sutter is being shopped, it would have to be a C swap if it was. The 4 imo would be Schaller, Loui, Leivo and Goldy. If there's a 5th I think its Baer. 

I guess the deal could be, if you take Loui you can pick any/all of Schaller, Leivo, Goldy or Bear :lol:

What he ^^^ said.

25 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I worry Baertschi might be in there. He has yet to line-up with NHLers, in camp or in game, he's been stuck with depth guys. 

That makes alot of sense now that you say it, as I thought everyone was pretty high on Leivo and he also has versatility up and down the lineup, Baer, unfortunately/fortunately is a top 6 guy.

25 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I worry Baertschi might be in there. He has yet to line-up with NHLers, in camp or in game, he's been stuck with depth guys. 

If Baer is on that list then it is all about what comes back. Baer has demonstrated value. All thew same I can see why Benning might want to move him. We all know the injury history and Baer could help any team if healthy.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

In wondering about the D pairs. Still early but watching Hughes & Myers the other night not sure they are the best combo. Both guys are offensive & have a tendency to jump up. 

Hughes & Tanev is definitely ideal. That leaves Myers & Edler then the question is how Myers will fare in a 1st pair role?

Agree 100%. Hughes and Myers are only only D who really jump up. Maybe Stecher to a degree but I think it's important we balance those pairings with one guy on each D line.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

And then this happens: (Baer on top line)

EE2DuoJUUAAIF7i?format=jpg&name=900x900

Love the first line there, for me that's our starting second line. I see Baer fitting there better than Pearson in general, though they could certainly switch to put a bigger-bodied Pearson up there for heavy games. 

Marky gets the start, which is great for him. I expect a quality game from this group. Excited to see Benn-Stecher and I'm intrigued by Rafferty. He's been entertaining to watch so far with his confidence and skating. Hopefully Edmonton plays a more NHL-like lineup tonight and we get a good challenge!

14 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I was really hoping DiPietro would be a portion of another game. Probably best he gets settled in in Utica. 

I look forward to a good first year for mikey.

DiPietro is a project.  Get him to the AHL and get working there.  He is a few years away.

Gadjovich sent down.  MacEwen plays same role and is clear he is 2-3 years ahead in development.  Again Gads looks a few years away if at all.

• Upvote 1

Sutter would fit in Ottawa. They have the cap space. They need the leadership. I love Sutter, but we need to make space on the roster. Hes our best chance at getting anything and is the most trade-able really. Along with Jake and Gaudette (who I dont think we should give up on yet)

I can honestly see our future with DiPietro and Demko as our goalies (3-5 years from now). I think we need to keep Marky as a backup for a few more years. Demko is almost ready to take the reigns. Next year I see this happening.

2 minutes ago, ahf149 said:

Sutter would fit in Ottawa. They have the cap space. They need the leadership. I love Sutter, but we need to make space on the roster. Hes our best chance at getting anything and is the most trade-able really. Along with Jake and Gaudette (who I dont think we should give up on yet)

I can honestly see our future with DiPietro and Demko as our goalies (3-5 years from now). I think we need to keep Marky as a backup for a few more years. Demko is almost ready to take the reigns. Next year I see this happening.

These other posters got me thinking as I also listed Sutter as on the block, but with Gaudette still on the bubble we need a quality 3C, so will need Sutter this year. Guy sounds motivated also after his rehab.

6 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

The thing is we have to pay someone at least league minimum to sit in the press box in Van, so that removes most of the savings benefit right there, would it not?

I don't know what the team is going to do by the end of the pre-season, we have a lot of forwards to figure out.

I hope no one is in the press box. 

5 hours ago, Wayne Jetski said:

Eriksson has not played better then Goldy in preseason. Goldy has been backchecking and working hard (broke up a sure goal with a great diving stick). Keep the players in who want to play over those who don’t. 

Couldn't agree more.  I saw that play by Goldy, kind of surprised me.  He seems like a different player to me. He almost certainly makes the team, i.e., one of 13 forwards.

Which means we have a lot of other forwards to make decisions on. You may see a trade or two, certainly some guys waived to Utica.

Motte, Gaudette and Eriksson for Utica; While Sutter or.. maybe Pearson at some point could be traded. Roussel will return in a month or two, another guy to make space for; he was quite good last year.

Horvat, Baertschi, Pearson;  Pettersson, Boeser, Ferland;  Sutter, Virtanen, Miller; Beagle, Goldobin, Leivo; Motte. And Roussel makes 14.

Doesn't take into account Perron, MacEwen, and especially Gaudette. 

If Gaudette looks quicker and better offensively... makes trades (Sutter) easier -- could be done toward TDL of course. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1