The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

36 minutes ago, Guile said:

Love the first line there, for me that's our starting second line. I see Baer fitting there better than Pearson in general, though they could certainly switch to put a bigger-bodied Pearson up there for heavy games. 

Marky gets the start, which is great for him. I expect a quality game from this group. Excited to see Benn-Stecher and I'm intrigued by Rafferty. He's been entertaining to watch so far with his confidence and skating. Hopefully Edmonton plays a more NHL-like lineup tonight and we get a good challenge!

I am hesitant to move Pearson away from Bo after the chemistry they had but If that line can click I can get behind it. It would make for a top 9 with a lot of options. Rather keep Sven around than the other names rumored to be shopped. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I like that we still have Ferraro.  Tough, hard-working guy who wants to prove a point that he still belongs in the league.  If he makes it through camp, I think he'd be a good addition on the 'nucks as a 12th/13th forward to slot in as needed.

He's Utica bound

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Dipietro sent down 

nothing against the kid but he plays too low and does not cover the top parts of the net. Is it his height? Style? Anything to change that?

There has been like 10 goals scored on him on nhl ice so far. You can’t just leave the top corners opened in hopes that the shooters miss the net. You may get away in lower league but not in the nhl that’s for sure 

20 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Couldn't agree more.  I saw that play by Goldy, kind of surprised me.  He seems like a different player to me. He almost certainly makes the team, i.e., one of 13 forwards.

The reason Goldy had to make that play was because he lost his man and had to make a diving recovery.  There was no "great D" being displayed by him.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The reason Goldy had to make that play was because he lost his man and had to make a diving recovery.  There was no "great D" being displayed by him.

It's a big improvement on last year where he'd lose the man and then... not do anything having lost the man.

Improvement and effort is everything. He's still only 23, I think a few people are forgetting that. He's shown jump - I noticed him be the first forward back on more than one occasion as well. For a guy who last year was often found floating somewhere in the neutral zone as the last guy in zone, that's a big jump.

I really think he's getting it, albeit slowly. I like the effort so far... but he's done that before too. It's the 'consistent' effort that has eluded him in his young career so far.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Dipietro sent down 

nothing against the kid but he plays too low and does not cover the top parts of the net. Is it his height? Style? Anything to change that?

There has been like 10 goals scored on him on nhl ice so far. You can’t just leave the top corners opened in hopes that the shooters miss the net. You may get away in lower league but not in the nhl that’s for sure 

Smaller goalies need to come out more to cut off the shooting angles. He can't play deep or else he will get picked apart.

With maturity and experience, he'll learn to stay more upright, go down less often, and be less sporadic in his movements.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ktcy2 said:

Dipietro sent down 

I wonder if Rob Zepp can comment?  Haven’t seen him on boards for a while, maybe taking summer off?

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Dipietro sent down 

More of a positioning thing every goalie is taught to stay low, better butterfly, better lateral movement. He should be playing more outside his net, in junior he was probably playing more aggressive and didn’t have to move side to side as fast but now with better skaters he is probably forced to stay in his net more because the lateral movement isn’t there. It’s one of the harder adjustments to make as a goalie 

20 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

More of a positioning thing every goalie is taught to stay low, better butterfly, better lateral movement. He should be playing more outside his net, in junior he was probably playing more aggressive and didn’t have to move side to side as fast but now with better skaters he is probably forced to stay in his net more because the lateral movement isn’t there. It’s one of the harder adjustments to make as a goalie 

I'd like to see him after a couple years with a top quality goalie coach, but tbh I would be surprised if he became an nhl starter. 

3 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

I am hesitant to move Pearson away from Bo after the chemistry they had but If that line can click I can get behind it. It would make for a top 9 with a lot of options. Rather keep Sven around than the other names rumored to be shopped. 

Did you see Pearson with Sutter? They looked great, what a 3rd line.

• Cheers 1