The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Mentioned this in the GDT but I think the strongest forward group we could ice would be:

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Miller 

Pearson Sutter Virtanen 

Eriksson Beagle Gaudette

Goldobin Leivo

That means there is only one extra D but I think that makes sense due to the forward depth and managing our assets.

I think if Goldy was waived he wouldn't be claimed on the other hand I think Motte would be picked up and is more suitable as a bottom guy.  I think your starting 12 is probably correct.  And no way would they waive Leivo.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

What a wonderful schlacking of the Oilers. Gaudette making it difficult to cut him. Eriksson showing some of what he used to be. I have Leivo slowly being pushed out as other guys do well. 

Baertschi - Horvat - Miller

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Sutter - Eriksson

Motte - Beagle - Virtanen

Gaudette

That leavs out Leivo, Goldobin, Schaller. Tough decisions coming. 

Benning is not going to waive Leivo. I like Motte but he is not going to put up more points that Gaud or Leivo - these two guys have shots as well.   

4 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Mentioned this in the GDT but I think the strongest forward group we could ice would be:

Baertschi Horvat Miller 

Pearson Sutter Virtanen 

Eriksson Beagle Gaudette

Goldobin Leivo

That means there is only one extra D but I think that makes sense due to the forward depth and managing our assets.

#assetmanagement  send Gaudette down?

Motte has to be added.

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Brisebois in particular. Damn he looks good. 

He's jumped into the lane to receive some passes in the slot. For good scoring opportunities, more than once already.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Motte's not going anywhere IMO. Doubt Biega is either.

I agree on Motte.

Bet you a wooden nickel Biega is waived.  And Schaller also waived, assuming no other forward hurt.

And Biega will be back within 2 or 4 games. Is he, what, 31 years old? 4 career goals???

He'll go screaming through.  If he gets picked up we still have Brisbois, Sautner, maybe even Juolevi, Chatfield to call up.

Goldobin will get claimed if he is waived, would be a shock if he didn't. Skilled players like him almost always get snagged when they first get put on waivers.

If we wanted to try and send someone down without getting claimed ala Markstrom they probably should have already done it. Even then I think more than 1 team would put in a claim for Goldy. A forward with his skill leve usually gets a couple chances before he is out of the league

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Goldobin will get claimed if he is waived, would be a shock if he didn't. Skilled players like him almost always get snagged when they first get put on waivers.

If we wanted to try and send someone down without getting claimed ala Markstrom they probably should have already done it. Even then I think more than 1 team would put in a claim for Goldy. A forward with his skill leve usually gets a couple chances before he is out of the league

Loui and Schaller will not get claimed. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I agree on Motte.

Bet you a wooden nickel Biega is waived.  And Schaller also waived, assuming no other forward hurt.

And Biega will be back within 2 or 4 games. Is he, what, 31 years old? 4 career goals???

He'll go screaming through.  If he gets picked up we still have Brisbois, Sautner, maybe even Juolevi, Chatfield to call up.

I grant you Biega might be waived 'on paper' or short term. But we're splitting hairs here.

8 hours ago, Per Her Son said:

Two years? I'll put money against that.

I’m not talking about a full time roll or even backup. More so injury call up (and not a freak one like his first stint) not a full time position. There is also an expansion draft coming up where there is a real good possibility we lose a good goalie and a job opportunity arrives. 

38 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

There's usually a day later in the preseason where ALL the teams are waiving guys in a huge melee which lessens the likelihood of guys getting claimed. AFAIK, that hasn't happened yet.

6 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Ashton Sautner and Guillaume Brisebois have both surprised me how mature their game have looked so far, and both have had really solid preseasons.

Wouldn't surprise me if one of them stole the 7th/8th dman spot 

They will not be sitting in the press box. They might make Tanev available sooner than later though.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Baertschi Horvat Miller 

Pearson Sutter Virtanen 

Eriksson Beagle Gaudette

Goldobin Leivo

Not saying you’re wrong but I think we’re not in enough of a win now mode to prioritize like that. Also think that third line lacks skill and wouldn’t score. 

I would send Gaudette down and let LE/Virtanen/Leivo/Motte rotate based upon performance and injuries. 

Ferland - EP - Boeser

Goldy - Horvat - Miller

Baertschi - Sutter - Pearson

Virtanen- Beagle - Eriksson

Leivo