The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

It’s not like we iced a killer squad either - aside from Horvats line and Markstrom it was far from our A team.   Why should LE get denigrated and others praised for what they did when quite a few of them did less.   Was LE playing on the first line ? Was he not used as usual, ie a defensive forward first up when a penalty is called?   I really hope he keeps it up and like most vets on this team won’t make it easy for a player to take his spot.  It’s only one game I will give you that - and it’s hilarious how some CDCers go from trade him - put him in Utica to pencilling him into the lineup for having one good game (which he most definitely did have).  

Have been saying for months now - even created a thread about it - that LE is better then Schaller, Leivo, Motte, for sure and right now better then Goldobin and Gaudette too, and all the fringe players - he just needs to be get some fire into his game (even without that his stats when all things are equal - are better then all the above mentioned guys, he just hasn’t had the same opportunities with the exception of AG) and make the young guys earn his spot in the lineup. 

If it happens then great.   That said if his salary was the same as JVs and these other guys, I’d bet every cent I have in the bank that people would be stoked to have him and nobody would have ever talked about putting him in Utica, in fact would possibly be praising him as an unsung hero.

Will say it again - the best thing for the team would be LE pulling a Eric Staal and bouncing back - not losing his job and getting demoted to Utica to save a million in cap space - that’s messy.   If we want his cap to leave the team he has to get more opportunities on the second PP and with better players.  Last year both Goldobin and Leivo got way better assignments - why? Because the team was checking them out to see if they’d break out - and because it’s just too easy to slide LE into the shutdown role, he’s got way more experience and hockey sense then the two of them - that said again when all things are equal LE produced at a better rate (not good enough but still better) when given the same opportunities. 

Edit:  will add that I’m not happy with him either/ his cap hit is way too much for what he adds to the team.   But I also won’t jump on the bandwagon that wants him gone - aside from Messier (and rightly so) I’ve never seen so much hate against a player that’s wearing our uniform.  Find it distasteful and also shameful - we as fans should never boo our players unless there is a lot better reasons, on the ice or any other type of communication.  It just send a bad message and snowballs

being waiting for loui to bounce back for 3 years now ,  loui has had chances for 3 years 2 different coaches  played up and down the lineup   made his comments in the media ,, 32 goals in 3 years , 3 hits in a year  , stellar -11 for the defensive star ,  and you expect fans to be happy about that  ?   good thing you brought up messier because loui is just as bad as messier skating around putting in some half assed effort collecting his large paycheck ,  

sure loui  has better skills than some players but effort wise , it is the effort or drive that just isn't there anymore  , it is like I got my last big payday , all I have to do is just enough to get bought out  , all those lil things . 

Just like messier when he first arrived . oh great signing , the missing piece , we are stacked ,3 years later  the worse canuck in history  ,, well it has been 3years for loui  so fans have every right to call him out 

Edited by the grinder
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

PP of Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Miller and Leivo that results in a goal:

Looks like they are using Jake Virtanen on the PK there in the video.

Might be refreshing to see him use his speed, but makes me wonder whether he has the IQ to be successful on the PK

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

PP of Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Miller and Leivo that results in a goal:

I must be getting old and lazy but I need John and John doing the play by play too know who’s who out there.

sidenote I’m glad John Garrett has his mustache back things are on track and falling into place for a very very good season.

Go Canucks Gooo 

• Cheers 4

Lots of Loui discussion.  I think I fall more into the camp that Loui will probably make the team.  Brock's cap hit basically deals with the cap conundrum so the main issue now is bodies.

As disappointing as Loui's production has been, he is still a quietly effective player and he's a very good penalty killer.  I don't know how management will deal with his contract in the remaining years, but for this year at least, I don't see them trying to bury his contract.  They might still try to trade him, but I can't see a team wanting him unless he has a resurgence in which case the desire to trade him might be lessened.

If Loui makes the roster, then given GMJB's open comments that he is working on trades, I'm expecting the following things to happen before opening night:

1. Gaudette will be assigned to Utica.  He has played well but unless the Canucks are going to make a pretty significant trade before the season starts, I can't see them keeping him up.  I'd say there is a reasonable chance of him becoming a regular before the season is up though.

2. Schaller will be waived and assigned to Utica.  I don't think Schaller has played well but I think he's definitely going to be a "victim" of how competitive this camp has been.

3. Canucks could run with 14 forwards and 7D.  This means one of Biega or Fantenberg would have to clear waivers but it would allow the Canucks to delay making a decision about one of the bubble forwards.

4. If the Canucks run with 13 forwards and 8 D, then the Canucks will have to waive either one of Goldobin or Motte who, IMHO, are the most obvious bubble forwards.  That means one of them or possibly another forward is probably being shopped since I assume the risk of losing one of them for nothing on waivers is probably the last situation management wants to be in.

I know the media has talked about Baertschi being on the block which is certainly a possibility and would help with clearing cap room too.  But what would they get in return?  In any trade scenario, I can't see them wanting to get back a roster player unless there is more than one piece going out. 

Problem is I'm pretty sure management will still have to move out another player before Roussel comes back.  This would mean the probable loss of Baertschi and one of Goldobin or Motte.  I know some floated the idea of trading Jake which is certainly possible.  I suppose Leivo may even be a possibility.

My guess is by opening night, GMJB will make a trade that most of us will feel wasn't quite up to the value we hoped for, probably for a pick or for a waivers exempt prospect.

30 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Looks like they are using Jake Virtanen on the PK there in the video.

Might be refreshing to see him use his speed, but makes me wonder whether he has the IQ to be successful on the PK

I've always wondered why TG doesn't use Jake on the pk as he did use him on it a bit in Utica, if I remember correctly.  He's got the right skill set for it. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Why does everyone sleep on Motte? Dude's been fantastic for us. Motor never stops, annoying as hell to play against. Big part of the reason our PK was good last year and he's 24. In my opinion the 4th line is Rous(when healthy)-Beagle-Motte on just a nightmare line to play against.

I think he's a pretty beloved player and many have him pencilled in.  That said, he's been outplayed by a few players here in the pre-season.

• Upvote 3