The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Can we just all agree that comparing teams from different eras and how seasons will pan out compared to the best season by any Canucks side, is a fools game. 

Talk about building a team up.... could still end in disappointment. 

Hope we get into the playoffs this season. Anything on top of that is gravy... baby steps...baby steps. 

15 hours ago, Snapshot85 said:

Irffan Gaffar : as a guest on Sn650.

There has been a few others I dont have off top of my head.

So no... not speculation by me. 

Not saying its accurate. But would make sense if they wanted Gaudette on 3rd line roll for a offensive 3rd line.

Audio here:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/reach-deep/irfaan-gaffar-canucks-trade-block-includes-sutter-virtanen-baertschi/

He has Baertschi and Virtanen also on his list with Eriksson and Schaller.  It's his speculation from being around the team. 

- Sutter would be to make room for Gaudette.  He mentions that Benning has taken calls on Sutter but around the TDL McKenzie said no one called before his injury.  Green at the start of camp was talking of Sutter and matchups and how that impacts Horvat / Pettersson without him.

- Virtanen because he can bring the most return and could benefit from a change of scenery.  Earlier in the summer Benning did say that he could move him if it makes the team better.   He was part of the failed offer for Zucker per Russo.  After demoting him to group C Green talked of how he was an important part of the team.  Doubt he'd be traded to just be traded. 

- Baertschi because there's not necesarily a spot for him in the top-6 and in the bottom-6 you won't get Sven Baertschi.  Green did criticise Calgary for using Baertschi on a checking line and not a skilled line.  He lost his confidence and without it he can't make plays.  Roussel, Eriksson, Leivo would be better fits with Virtanen, Sutter, Gaudette.

Fwiw back in the Utica 2015 playoffs Green sat more productive players because he wanted lines that had a certain definition/purpose.

It's well plausible that Baertschi is the odd man out.    It's also maybe why Thomas Drance thinks he was a placeholder for Ferland (out sick) on the PP - Baertschi has some of the better PP numbers on the team so it's surprising that he is seen as an extra.

Eriksson would fit in the bottom-6 far better than Baertschi and he can kill penalties.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, mll said:

Audio here:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/reach-deep/irfaan-gaffar-canucks-trade-block-includes-sutter-virtanen-baertschi/

He has Baertschi and Virtanen also on his list with Eriksson and Schaller.  It's his speculation from being around the team. 

- Sutter would be to make room for Gaudette.  He mentions that Benning has taken calls on Sutter but around the TDL McKenzie said no one called before his injury.  Green at the start of camp was talking of Sutter and matchups and how that impacts Horvat / Pettersson without him.

- Virtanen because he can bring the most return and could benefit from a change of scenery.  Earlier in the summer Benning did say that he could move him if it makes the team better.   He was part of the failed offer for Zucker per Russo.  After demoting him to group C Green talked of how he was an important part of the team.  Doubt he'd be traded to just be traded. 

- Baertschi because there's not necesarily a spot for him in the top-6 and in the bottom-6 you won't get Sven Baertschi.  Green did criticise Calgary for using Baertschi on a checking line and not a skilled line.  He lost his confidence and without it he can't make plays.  Roussel, Eriksson, Leivo would be better fits with Virtanen, Sutter, Gaudette.

Fwiw back in the Utica 2015 playoffs Green sat more productive players because he wanted lines that had a certain definition/purpose.

It's well plausible that Baertschi is the odd man out.    It's also maybe why Thomas Drance thinks he was a placeholder for Ferland (out sick) on the PP - Baertschi has some of the better PP numbers on the team so it's surprising that he is seen as an extra.

Eriksson would fit in the bottom-6 far better than Baertschi and he can kill penalties.

I can't see them trading Sutter at this point, Gaudette isn't ready. Unless they are thinking of putting Miller and Gaudette together I just can't see it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

Those of you that want to trade Sutter should take your “Hate Glasses” off. Thanks carry on.

Don’t hate Sutter.  I want to see Hockey Gaud playing on Sutter’s wing.  We are in NOW mode, and the players giving us the best chance to win should be on the big club.  

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Neither Goldobin nor Virtanen have shown any glimpses of progressing their overall game this preseason thus far, it's a bit disappointing but I'll reserve final judgement for the regalar season. Both still need to find a way to be putting in effort and getting themselves engaged without the puck.

If we were able to ship them for picks at this point they wouldn't be sorely missed. 

Goldobin seems to have better defensive awareness this preseason. And Virt has two goals. What are you expecting?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Too bad for Ferraro, but knew there was no chance he would make it.  Maybe offer him an AHL contract?

I think giving Landon a release is better for the player.  Now, he can find a job on any AHL team, like the Oilers.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't see them trading Sutter at this point, Gaudette isn't ready. Unless they are thinking of putting Miller and Gaudette together I just can't see it. 

Gaudette admitted that he had the jitters a little in the early games.  Once relaxed, he had a much better game in Edmonton.  Having said that, I would still like to see him get at least half a season to develop in Utica.  I think it will really help his game long term.

I think that people forget that a healthy Sutter is an effective player and he's showing that so far in camp and preseason.  

And Miller is showing some great chemistry with Horvat.  The guy is a really good player.  I don't see him outside of the top 6.  He's a nice fit here.  He makes us forget Pearson and his 9 goals in 19 games.

• Cheers 1