The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think giving Landon a release is better for the player.  Now, he can find a job on any AHL team, like the Oilers.  

Ya, they gave him 2 games right?  He's shown that he is healthy and can be effective as a tweener.  It's the best he could have hoped for.  I wish him well.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Patterson said that after the bag skate, Juolevi was laying on the ice holding his knee.  Benning said they wanted to be cautious and take a long term view.  No point rushing the player and ruining his career.  

Guess he forgot to tell Green before the bag skate.:sadno:

Absolutely no point in rushing this kid.  He's had a really tough couple of years and his development has taken a beating (and likely his state of mind).  I look forward to seeing him quietly reclaiming his status in Utica and maybe see him joining the Canucks after Christmas. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

They're trying to stir the pot again. Who the &^@# cares where he was drafted. He needs time to get into game shape after a major surgery before he plays on NHL ice vs world's best. 

agreed, I specifically watched him at the Victoria venue for a full long weekend and he has SISU in spades, but was clearly bothered still by the injury and a bit below par with fitness, professional level par, not my par. He is WAY above my fitness level but down a bit due to the injury, imo. 

This is the right move for now, but he may be up before January, and he may have a huge shot at the lineup next september if he can rehab well and remain injury free, which is why this is a good move. Downa  level helps him to rehab. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Gaudette admitted that he had the jitters a little in the early games.  Once relaxed, he had a much better game in Edmonton.  Having said that, I would still like to see him get at least half a season to develop in Utica.  I think it will really help his game long term.

I think that people forget that a healthy Sutter is an effective player and he's showing that so far in camp and preseason.  

And Miller is showing some great chemistry with Horvat.  The guy is a really good player.  I don't see him outside of the top 6.  He's a nice fit here.  He makes us forget Pearson and his 9 goals in 19 games.

But if Pearson can score like he did, WITH Miller. Oh my god.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Goldobin seems to have better defensive awareness this preseason. And Virt has two goals. What are you expecting?

A change in playing mentality, from what I've seen they've just gotten better at what they were already good at. Hard to put into words because I'm trying to describe my eye test for each one.

Jake's finished plays off the rush using his speed,  which he was already good at. But he still tends to go invisible without the puck. Goldobin, while more active defensively is still a marshmallow in the board scrums. I don't see him willing to do the major grunt work required to win puck battles consistently. You don't have to be Chris Pronger to be physical.

Again, maybe they're letting up because it's pre-season but I don't think they're in a position to not be putting their foot on the gas pedal.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Gaudette admitted that he had the jitters a little in the early games.  Once relaxed, he had a much better game in Edmonton.  Having said that, I would still like to see him get at least half a season to develop in Utica.  I think it will really help his game long term.

I think that people forget that a healthy Sutter is an effective player and he's showing that so far in camp and preseason.  

And Miller is showing some great chemistry with Horvat.  The guy is a really good player.  I don't see him outside of the top 6.  He's a nice fit here.  He makes us forget Pearson and his 9 goals in 19 games.

yeah Pearson-Bo-Miller could be a very good line, pretty tough to contain. If Sutter can regain his old form and we can get Bo's line into 65% ozone time, oh boy. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

But if Pearson can score like he did, WITH Miller. Oh my god.

Pearson had a 21% shooting percentage as a Canuck.  The season where he had 20+ goals he was shooting at just under 13% and is at 11% since.    

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Pearson had a 21% shooting percentage as a Canuck.  The season where he had 20+ goals he was shooting at just under 13% and is at 11% since.    

That's lethal territory.

It's INSANE when you have wave after wave of offense. Maybe finally the Canucks can play the so-called uptempo style of game that Green wants. SPEED SPEED SPEED. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

They're trying to stir the pot again. Who the &^@# cares where he was drafted. He needs time to get into game shape after a major surgery before he plays on NHL ice vs world's best. 

It’s actually a nice sign that we can just do what’s best for Olli and not try to put any weird pressure by showcasing him or anything.  The big club has enough going on that we don’t need to put the spotlight on Juolevi.

No surprise he starts in Utica - he’s got a lot of rust to bang off.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Good point.  EPs shooting percentage was not far off - sure he’s got the skill to keep it pretty high but it’s not likely sustainable for Pearson.  That said good it’s a testament to Horvat and to a lesser degree LE that Pearson had those quality chances...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ok we can meet each other down by the boards with our signs and then arm wrestle to see who leaves first ha ha.   Again it’s all about assignments - Leivo got his special teams on the PP - LE the PK, who played against who and ozone starts, minutes etc - and yes JV and Rousell played better and definitely are above him in the depth chart.   If LE played 63 games mostly next to EP or in the top six maybe he’d have ten more points - same with Leivo’s PP minutes.  

Messier - I said close to a PPG, and Bure held out and left while he was here, and Mogilny played three seasons of around 50 each, and yes he’s a bum - watching him skate really really fast circles from blue line to blue line cherry picking was hard to watch.  He deserved his hate but not so much for his production ...  LE we have him for up to three more years - that’s like  Messiers time - maybe he will break his leg too so at least one year we won’t see much of him - or maybe he will get pushed out - but not until someone’s taken his job and I’m not convinced that’s happened yet.    BTW 30 points playing mostly on the fourth  and third line, time and a handful of games in the top six and PK time is decent production. 

well loui had time with ep . and bo  , rousell and jv barely got any pp time , heck even rousell was on the pk  ,  it comes down to earning your ice time  , if you aren't gonna work hard , well that equals less ice time or assignments as you call it .  simple as that  , and if loui doesn't  , well he isn't going to be on the team much longer . benning and green have repeatedly have said  everyone needs to earn it this year   and it up to loui  to earn it  .  Your ok with 31 points  rousell was pretty much same role more points in less games come on now  

ps bure scored 51 when messier was here  , and messier was a minus player every year  , so he could pass to bure or mogilny or naslund , he certainly wasn't back checking 

well they prolly wouldn't let me in rogers if I made a sign for loui   

14 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

That's lethal territory.

It's INSANE when you have wave after wave of offense. Maybe finally the Canucks can play the so-called uptempo style of game that Green wants. SPEED SPEED SPEED. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.

Would be surprising if he can maintain that high shooting percentage as it's an outlier from his career rate.

Only 33 players have an average of 15% or more the past 3 seasons (min 120 games) - Baertschi and Miller on that list.  Boeser is at 14.3%.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1