The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

I listened to the podcast: pretty obvious they were just spitballing personal opinions.  Irf just said Jim was answering calls - not actively shopping anyone.

I agreed with some of what the hosts said - kinda weird to be shopping Sutter considering the club’s goals this season.  I do think Gaudette is getting a huge audition this preseason.  I don’t necessarily think that means Sutter is on his way out.  Writing is on the wall with two 30+ YO C’s in your bottom 6 that Gaudette will be here sooner than later. 

I disagree with the hosts about shipping off Virtanen for a 2nd.  That’s just dumb considering he’s a 15 goal bottom 6’er with upside AT WORST for the club. As I said in the other thread, even if he’s disappointing he’s still on the opening night roster with what he already brings. 

Baer still generates offence on a team lacking in this area.. I can only see them shipping him out if they’re completely sold on Goldy.  Right now, I’d keep Baer even with injury concerns. 

Obviously a good hockey trade is something to consider - but I can’t see us getting anything that makes our team better since it’s “sell low” for these players.  

This is just some speculation to fill time during camp.  Which is why Irf qualified most of his speculation with “maybes.”

Baertschi is not going to generate offence playing with Sutter-Virtanen.  He's apparently not even foreseen on the PP per Thomas Drance.  He talked of how his confidence comes from being around the puck - I doubt he'd do well with Sutter-Virtanen who aren't guys who makes plays. 

10 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

That’s a pretty bold claim.  Baer has been one of our most consistent point producers in a variety of roles / line mates.  I’d need to read what Drance said to have an idea about the power play - and I’m not willing to pay for the athletic yet. 

Boeser, Pettersson, Ferland, Miller, Hughes, Horvat, Pearson, Baertschi, Edler, Myers would be my top 10 PP guys.  

Who do they have in ahead of him?  Leivo? 

These are the best options for our PP's imho as well.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

That’s a pretty bold claim.  Baer has been one of our most consistent point producers in a variety of roles / line mates.  I’d need to read what Drance said to have an idea about the power play - and I’m not willing to pay for the athletic yet. 

Boeser, Pettersson, Ferland, Miller, Hughes, Horvat, Pearson, Baertschi, Edler, Myers would be my top 10 PP guys.  

Yeah, I don't see them letting go of Baer; at least not for a long view of the team.  Right now, Green has so many opportunities with this team.  I don't think the lines will stay together permanently, so we will see frequent adjustments according to the opposition.

Personally, I would like to see a game with  Ferland/Pete/Miller (TJ saucer passes to his teammates)

Baer/Bo/Brock (We already know this line)

Pearson/Sutter/Eriksson (Nasty line in front of opposition goalie)

Virtanen/Beagle/Motte (High speed defence and some scoring)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Leivo.  They were practicing PPs yesterday and he then talked to Green before writing his article.

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, I don't see them letting go of Baer; at least not for a long view of the team.  Right now, Green has so many opportunities with this team.  I don't think the lines will stay together permanently, so we will see frequent adjustments according to the opposition.

Personally, I would like to see a game with  Ferland/Pete/Miller (TJ saucer passes to his teammates)

Baer/Bo/Brock (We already know this line)

Pearson/Sutter/Eriksson (Nasty line in front of opposition goalie)

Virtanen/Beagle/Motte (High speed defence and some scoring)

Baer's also Horvat's best friend too. I think that plays a factor into whether or not he gets dealt.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, mll said:

Leivo.  They were practicing PPs yesterday and he then talked to Green before writing his article.

Leivo is a decent option - as is Goldy if he sticks.  I think JB waits until camp is done before making any deals though.  If they think someone won’t make it through waivers.

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Leivo is a decent option - as is Goldy if he sticks.  I think JB waits until camp is done before making any deals though.  If they think someone won’t make it through waivers.

Baertschi has some of the best PP numbers on the team.  His PP goals per 60 over the past 2 seasons is 8th in the league (min 150 minutes granted might be too small of a sample size) according to Natural Stat Trick.  Still he has been efficient with the minutes given.  It seems illogical that he would be the odd man out.  When he was struggling early on WD talked about how giving him PP time was what got him going.  Baertschi concurred and talked of how his confidence comes from having touches with the puck.  That's why I don't see how he can succeed in the bottom-6 with guys who don't play that skilled game and with no PP time. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Baertschi has some of the best PP numbers on the team.  His PP goals per 60 over the past 2 seasons is 8th in the league (min 150 minutes granted might be too small of a sample size) according to Natural Stat Trick.  Still he has been efficient with the minutes given.  It seems illogical that he would be the odd man out.  When he was struggling early on WD talked about how giving him PP time was what got him going.  Baertschi concurred and talked of how his confidence comes from having touches with the puck.  That's why I don't see how he can succeed in the bottom-6 with guys who don't play that skilled game and with no PP time. 

A third line of Baer  or Pearson / Gaudette / Goldy or Virtanen ...is almost likely...if we don't make some trades then AG has to start in Utica and we need to waive someone we don't mind losing ( won't lose ) ...Eriksson has to be waived to save Goldy and keep from trading Jake...

A Baer / Gaudette / Virtanen line might just work...but I would rather have Pearson on that line and Baer with Bo....

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

27 minutes ago, mll said:

Given our PP went from 9th to 22nd last year (yes the Sedins gone certainly had something to do with that - same with Boeser  not playing a full season although the Sedins PP was predictable for years until they added Horvat and Boeser - you’d think Bear would get at least second PP minutes.    Leivo was used last year and despite some early returns did exactly light it up.  Bears stats are not sustainable but I’d definitely rather he got a shot.  Play Bear until he either gets injured or his stock is high enough to get an acceptable return.    Either way the team wins.   If Leivo gets the job he’s got to have a short leash - the for same Goldobin.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

A third line of Baer  or Pearson / Gaudette / Goldy or Virtanen ...is almost likely...if we don't make some trades then AG has to start in Utica and we need to waive someone we don't mind losing ( won't lose ) ...Eriksson has to be waived to save Goldy and keep from trading Jake...

A Baer / Gaudette / Virtanen line might just work...but I would rather have Pearson on that line and Baer with Bo....

Baertschi and Gaudette did not have chemistry last year.  When Burrows was still on the team Baertschi was asked about the difference having him on the wing with Horvat vs Virtanen and talked about how with Burrows you can create more off the cycle while with Virtanen it's straight lines.  For me they don't fit together.  Baertschi is trickery and deception and that's really not in Virtanen's game.    

• Upvote 1