Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

For now yes, but once he's gone and starts making mistakes in the regular season, he'll be the new whipping boy.  People already commenting on how his contract is an overpayment, eventhough he got only a little bit more than his last contract AAV wise.

Some fans tend to look at contract amounts and what you do for that contract instead of just looking at the player and what he brings skill wise.  That's one of the main reasons LE is getting so much hate.  If he was paid 1-2 million, not many would be complaining.

If Eriksson was getting paid 1-2 m per he would have been waived today.  It’s only his contract that is giving him the longetivity to compete for a spot right now...    so by your  account of this situation he shouldn’t be here.

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Seems pretty obvious ;

gaudette sent to utica; first call up when a center gets injured 

goldobin traded or waived; hasn’t showed any improvements from last year playing against AHL players in pre season 

Macewen sent to utica 

schailer waived 

Biega waived and clears; they won’t waive Fantengerg after just signing him as a free agent he will be in the press box as our extra defenceman 

ferland Petterson boeser

baertshi/Pearson horvat  Miller 

Baertshi/Pearson Sutter Leivo

Ericcson beagle Virtanen 

(motte) 

edler myers 

hughes Tanev 

Benn Stetcher 

(fantenberg) 

Don’t you get 1 more player? the final roster size is 23. Goldolbin might stick around for awhile instead of Biega. 

47 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If Eriksson was getting paid 1-2 m per he would have been waived today.  It’s only his contract that is giving him the longetivity to compete for a spot right now...    so by your  account of this situation he shouldn’t be here.

No, less goals in PK is the main reason... Why do you want to loose? 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Myers has looked really good so far hasn’t he?  

I've been impressed by his mobility and puck movement for such a big guy. A few times I've been surprised that it was him carrying the puck up.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Sorry, your Loui is no game changer.

There are others who can contribute or learn to contribute..  Boucher was fantastic on the pk when he came up last year.. 

If he is that great of a penalty killer then another team will pick Eriksson up on waivers.

2 words...    overaged underachievement.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Lol are you saying that Eriksson is the difference between winning and losing lol????????

Wow just wow

Loui Eriksson is a bum. His shelf life is over. Some players just fall off a cliff. Hes not the first nor will he be the last.

Examples, Jonathan cheechoo, Scott Gomez, etc etc.

• Upvote 2

Honestly I'd rather keep Leivo than Goldobin. Sorry bud

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

All of you saying Gaudette is ' for sure utica bound ' are in for a big surprise. The kid has played amazing so far, and if he keeps it up and doesn't slow down, he will have a lock on the opening night roster. 

I don't think so. His effort level can't be questioned and it's great to see him scoring, but there are still issues with his game. He still doesn't pass or show any ability to use his linemates effectively. He also needs to work on his defensive zone coverage. He won't take Sutter or Beagle's job until he improves those areas of his game and demonstrates that he is just as good of a penalty killer as well. So that means he'd need to make the club as a wing that can come in and take faceoffs, which I don't believe is ideal. He struggles at wing and projects as a center so it just doesn't make sense to go that route. I'm a really big fan of Gaudette, but if he's not ready to take a center job on the big club he needs to be playing big minutes at center in Utica being put in the situations that he needs to improve on.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Cap dump trade? 

Jake, Goldy, LE for a 7th rounder zero retained? Would Ottawa bite?!?

Doubtful.  They have several young players coming off their ELCs before Eriksson's contract is up.  They've signed both White and Chabot long term skipping the bridge.  Melnyk is widely considered very cost conscious and even talking that he sees no reasons to spend more than necessary.  Melnyk didn't want to extend Mark Stone (age 26) because he would be in his 30s when the contract is up and didn't think he would be as performing anymore.  Doubt he'd want to take the contract of someone that is already in his 30s and down to the 4th line already.

Also, no cuts today? I don't see the need for the Boucher's, Sautner's, Chatfield's and Graovac's of the world to still be with the club. It's time to get down to business.

1 minute ago, FlyLow_ said:

Also, no cuts today? I don't see the need for the Boucher's, Sautner's, Chatfield's and Graovac's of the world to still be with the club. It's time to get down to business.

Sautner and Boucher were cut today

Edited by Odd.
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

They probably want to keep a few around to give some players a rest during their 3 games in 4 nights and also time the harder cuts at the same time as other teams. 

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

If Eriksson was getting paid 1-2 m per he would have been waived today.

Pretty sure you're wrong.

My guess is Fantenburg ,Gaudette and Schaller get sent down -as well as the obvious candidates- in order for them to be roster/salary cap compliant. No need for them to even put Roussel on LTIR. 

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I would think the opposite? 

If he was getting 1m, you have a solid 2 way player on bottom 6 who can kill penalties and he might actually be a fan favourite. 

People are on him because he gets paid like a guy who should be producing 30 goals. 

• Upvote 1