The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Marner Trade Ideas

Provost

It is getting late enough to have fun spitballing potential trade scenarios for these unsigned top RFAs, as the discussions must have taken place internally on teams.

Wnat would it take for a Vancouver-Toronto Marner trade?  Or Boeser to somewhere else trade?

Something like:

Marner

Schmaltz

Pick

for

Boeser

Tanev

DiPietro

Both team are close to cap once the RFAs are signed, so the money has to be pretty even both ways.

or

Boeser

Virtanen

for

Zucker

Kaprisov

Edited by Provost

They have sniper centers in Matthews and Tavares. They'd want a playmaking winger not another sniper. The reason Marner is as hot as he is right now is cause he can feed an elite 40 goal scoring center. They'd ask for Hughes and Demko AND some draft picks. Not Boeser, a walking one dimensional crutch, and a somewhat long shot goalie.

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

At a starting point you're going to have to be close to what TO would get for an offer sheet, in the realm of value of 3-4 1st rounders. 

IMO Toronto hangs up if Canucks' starting offer is anything less than Boeser, Gaudette, Juolevi and 1st.   Toronto will probably counter with Boeser, Hughes and a 1st.  That is my guess on how it would go down.

18 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

IMO Toronto hangs up if Canucks' starting offer is anything less than Boeser, Gaudette, Juolevi and 1st.   Toronto will probably counter with Boeser, Hughes and a 1st.  That is my guess on how it would go down.

That puts us a step back in development too. Mitch isn't worth it. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

They have sniper centers in Matthews and Tavares. They'd want a playmaking winger not another sniper. The reason Marner is as hot as he is right now is cause he can feed an elite 40 goal scoring center. They'd ask for Hughes and Demko AND some draft picks. Not Boeser, a walking one dimensional crutch, and a somewhat long shot goalie.

How many times in his career has Tavares scored 40? If guys like Okposo, Bailey, Vanek, Parenteau, Moulson, Strome can play on Tavares' wing and put up career numbers. Why wouldn't Boeser manage to do the same? Also did Brock kick your dog? :huh:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Toews said:

How many times in his career has Tavares scored 40? If guys like Okposo, Bailey, Vanek, Parenteau, Moulson, Strome can play on Tavares' wing and put up career numbers. Why wouldn't Boeser manage to do the same? Also did Brock kick your dog? :huh:

Tavares and Lee seemed to work out and Lee was scoring more goals on that line being set up by Tavares.  Not sure where the idea that Tavares isn't a playmaker was invented from...

Here is a scouting report on him:

Boasts the hand/eye coordination, imagination and hockey sense of an offensive stud. Does not shy away from heavy traffic areas, and is a constant top-end threat when roaming around an opponent's goal. Is extremely determined to be the best he can be. Scores goals with a great shot and is also a great passer. Is not nearly as good in the skating department as many of his peers in the National Hockey League. His top-end speed is below-average. Also, he does not play a very physical game, so opponents try to take liberties with him. Can be prone to extensive goal-scoring slumps (though he can contribute in other ways).

I was watching TV a day or so ago, I think it was Tim & Sid? They had Dubas on and they were talking about Marner and his contract talks. It was quite gross how Dubas was praising Marner as an incredible player, but an even better person off the ice, blah blah blah lol  It was like a personal public service announcement meant soeley for Mitch Marner. I have no respect for Dubas and Shanahan etc., grovelling like that. Pathetic.

That being said, they'll find a way to re-sign him, even if they need Bettman to look the other way with one of their creative transactions.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Tavares and Lee seemed to work out and Lee was scoring more goals on that line being set up by Tavares.  Not sure where the idea that Tavares isn't a playmaker was invented from...

Here is a scouting report on him:

Boasts the hand/eye coordination, imagination and hockey sense of an offensive stud. Does not shy away from heavy traffic areas, and is a constant top-end threat when roaming around an opponent's goal. Is extremely determined to be the best he can be. Scores goals with a great shot and is also a great passer. Is not nearly as good in the skating department as many of his peers in the National Hockey League. His top-end speed is below-average. Also, he does not play a very physical game, so opponents try to take liberties with him. Can be prone to extensive goal-scoring slumps (though he can contribute in other ways).

Tavares has one of the highest hockey IQs in the game, he could play with literally anyone and still manage to compliment their game. His ability to out think players on the ice is what compensates for his lack of his quickness. Crosby is the same but can do it at an ever higher level. Petey will in the near future demonstrate the same ability.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Toews said:

Thinking he was talking about Tanev there, not BB. 

Boeser, Crutch (Tanev), Long Shot Goalie (Dipietro) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Tanev is the walking crutch. I have no ill will towards Boeser. Lol. Calm down kid. Tavares has never hit 50 assists either. He is at his best with a playmaking winger. Feel free to disagree. 

Edited by N7Nucks

Personally, I think there's already a deal in place to sign him, but I think he's going to sit out camp. I think they need to wait till they are able to move the LTIR guys off at the start of the season, before they can actually get his contract done.

I think he will be under contract for Toronto, before the opening puck drop.

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I was watching TV a day or so ago, I think it was Tim & Sid? They had Dubas on and they were talking about Marner and his contract talks. It was quite gross how Dubas was praising Marner as an incredible player, but an even better person off the ice, blah blah blah lol  It was like a personal public service announcement meant soeley for Mitch Marner. I have no respect for Dubas and Shanahan etc., grovelling like that. Pathetic.

That being said, they'll find a way to re-sign him, even if they need Bettman to look the other way with one of their creative transactions.

100% They talk about these $ grubbing lil' p/hucksters like they're Motherfreeken'Theresa. Absolute rubbish.

11 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

At a starting point you're going to have to be close to what TO would get for an offer sheet, in the realm of value of 3-4 1st rounders. 

The only thing any team would have to be close to is the best deal possible. No one is going to offer sheet Marner, so who's going to offer something that gets TO attention? To me if I were making an offer I would offer Boeser,OJ and a 2nd. That would be tops. Thats 2 first rounders and a 2nd, if a sweetner was needed then maybe Tanev or Sven

On 9/5/2019 at 9:02 PM, Sbriggs said:

The only thing any team would have to be close to is the best deal possible. No one is going to offer sheet Marner, so who's going to offer something that gets TO attention? To me if I were making an offer I would offer Boeser,OJ and a 2nd. That would be tops. Thats 2 first rounders and a 2nd, if a sweetner was needed then maybe Tanev or Sven

That isn’t terribly different than my original idea, but DiPietro rather than OJ.

I would think the pick would be 2nd or 3rd... DiPietro has more value than OJ 

On 9/7/2019 at 10:05 AM, Provost said:

That isn’t terribly different than my original idea, but DiPietro rather than OJ.

I would think the pick would be 2nd or 3rd... DiPietro has more value than OJ 

Ya, I'm not so sure Dipietro has more value then OJ. TO could use a good young D man and I think OJ will surprise many but not all because I am one for sure who believes he's definitely a top 4 and if were lucky a top 2. I could see Hughs and OJ being top pairing guys, maybe not together but mixed in the top 4 but our top 2 defenseman