The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Jake Gardiner

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Imho 25th highest paid Dman in the NHL should make his partner better and be a solid top4 Dman regardless of who he's paired up with.

thats a different argument. And a bit random. Would it be OK if he was 30th? 35th? what if after next year he's 41st?

Unfortunately some players are the lightning rods for fan base and local media critics. Myers seems to have been 'that guy' in the 'peg. 

He's had some good years and average years. Is he top pairing? nope. Is he a needed addition, yup. So we'll see. If we get a pairing as good as Enstrom-Myers out of Benn-Myers we're doing well. Overpaid? sure, thats free agency. But you pay one way or the other, either in salary or in trade value. You can't draft and develop an entire core. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats what Benning was taking about on 1040 I believe. Sorry don't have the link at hand, but he did say Benn-Myers and Hughes-Tanev were likely pairings. Edler-Stecher will work well I think. 

Interesting, I don't mind it. Lowers Edler and Tanev's workload hopefully to keep them healthier. Gives Myers a solid defensive partner if there are concerns of his defensive play and allowing him to use his offense more freely.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats a different argument. And a bit random. Would it be OK if he was 30th? 35th? what if after next year he's 41st?

Unfortunately some players are the lightning rods for fan base and local media critics. Myers seems to have been 'that guy' in the 'peg. 

Yes of course it would matter. IF we signed Myers to 3 mill per year wouldn't matter if he needed Jordie Benn to be able to be a difference maker. 

3 mill for 3rd pair Dman would be better than 6 mill for 3rd pair Dman. 

On 2nd part I hope you're right. Maybe he wasn't good im wpg and fans just didn't like his game and he got a bad rep. As a Canuck fan it would be great if he becomes a solid 2way top pair Dman and earns his paycheck instead of being another Lui Eriksson. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Interesting, I don't mind it. Lowers Edler and Tanev's workload hopefully to keep them healthier. Gives Myers a solid defensive partner if there are concerns of his defensive play and allowing him to use his offense more freely.

Yeah I think thats it.

here it is:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Imho 25th highest paid Dman in the NHL should make his partner better and be a solid top4 Dman regardless of who he's paired up with.

Won't be that way half way through his contract. Barrie will pass him next summer, Chabot might even pass him next summer, Faulk will likely pass him next summer, Roman Josi. He'll likely be outta the top 30 as soon as next summer. And who knows where he'll be 2 summers from now. Not sure why people are so hung up on his cap hit. It's not massive. Especially for a position that a team can only play 6 players in. So saying he's "the 25th highest paid D-man" sounds a bit more dramatic than it really is.

And lets be real, just cause you are a good defenseman doesn't mean you automatically make people better. He's not a miracle worker making sub par 3rd pair d-men into top 4 d-men. The only players that do that are the truly elite ones, and they are being paid WAY more than Myers is. So I disagree that because he makes 6mil he should be able to do what Doughty and Hedman can do and make everyone around them better.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah I think thats it.

here it is:

Hmm I don't read that as them being a pairing. That just sounds like he thinks those signings will be guys that can take minutes from those guys to lower their minutes. For example, Benn will eat up more of the PK minutes from Edler and Myers gives us a guy that can play top 4 minutes, so hopefully Tanev doesn't have to be relied on as much. I didn't expect Tanev to play with Benn anyway.

Not that it wouldn't work, but based on that tweet, I don't know if he projects Benn and Myers together. Not really Benning's decision to make anyway.

Edler Stecher

Benn Myers

Hughes Tanev

If healthy that might be good enough to get into playoffs.

Devide TOI pretty evenly between all 3 pairings. Hopefully lessens injuries and keeps them fresh. 

Myers played a lot of mins in Peg. I think i read 3rd most over the past couple years. So he can handle the minutes. 

18 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I'd say Gardiner is better, maybe even a lot better, than Zaitsev. At least Gardiner was putting up points. Zaitsev was garbo defensively and wasn't scoring. Hard to be bad at both and then blame your D partner for it. Lol. Gardiner had 30 points in 62 games last season (5 PP points) playing behind a red hot Rielly, I suspect he'll still be a 35-40 point guy on any team regardless of being on the 1st unit PP. I am not comparing him to Myers, I don't think he'd be a fit here. I am saying people are underestimating the impact he could likely have on Carolina. A lot of people want to say he was the problem in Toronto and that Gardiner is trash. Defensively, yeah he's lacking but his ability to produce is there and with Pesce Carolina could have a top 10 D core in the league next season. Even if they moved out Bean, Fleury, or Hamilton.

I don't think Zaitsev is that poor, but I think he was thrusted into a role he wasn't suited for (to be the defensive guy in the pairing with Gardiner) because they had no other choice. I think Gardiner will be more 30-35 points (unless he gets top PP time), but that's not a big difference from your projection.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I don't think Zaitsev is that poor, but I think he was thrusted into a role he wasn't suited for (to be the defensive guy in the pairing with Gardiner) because they had no other choice. I think Gardiner will be more 30-35 points (unless he gets top PP time), but that's not a big difference from your projection.

Same argument can be made for Gardiner, being put in a position he wasn't suited for yet he gets absolutely blasted by pretty much everyone. (Admittedly I did that to Edler, still getting over how dumb I was in regards to him) All I am saying is this is not a terrible pick up like some are claiming. People make it sound like Carolina will get worse adding a 35 point defenseman for 4mil per.

58 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Edler Stecher

Benn Myers

Hughes Tanev

If healthy that might be good enough to get into playoffs.

Devide TOI pretty evenly between all 3 pairings. Hopefully lessens injuries and keeps them fresh. 

Myers played a lot of mins in Peg. I think i read 3rd most over the past couple years. So he can handle the minutes. 

I think Oscar rockets up the depth chart.

Is that everyone on their correct sides? I don't like Stecher and Hughes playing opposite sides because that really handcuffs the combinations.

At least Carolina has a guy like Pesce that could potentially prop-up/stabilize a Gardiner, who imo was seriously over-rated going into free agency by a  lot of noobs, Ray Ferraro included.  [Maybe Benning throwing his son a bone will finally shut that miserable troll up lol].

Not surprised that Gardiner had to sign for much less than the absurd, frenzied rumours.

And on a certain level - good for him to be out of Toronto - where they didn't seem to have a realistic estimation of his abilities, never really acquired the right complementary D, and did things like left him to be paired with a young Dermott in the playoffs - a recipe for Gardiner getting rekt - as he repeatedly was in series after series against Boston.  As much as I'm not a fan, that's not on Gardiner - it's on Dubas and the Spamaplan.

12 hours ago, mll said:

His agent JP Barry (same as Myers and Eriksson) gave an interview before free agency where he said that Vancouver was in the mix.   Apparently a few teams he thought had interest and wanted to play for never contacted him per Russo - Gardiner trains in Minnesota in the off-season.

That is exactly what I would say if I was his agent.  Create a market for your client to prop up the price. 

**** that's a great deal. With that being said, I don't blame Benning for not signing him, it would have been a significant gamble to save cap space this long on the hopes he'd sign. It just sucks because if not for the Luongo cap hit, we probably could have offered a better deal even now. This D-core would have been fantastic:

Edler Myers

Gardiner Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Benn, Biega

There is so much more offensive coming from our back end.

Edited by AK_19
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I think Oscar rockets up the depth chart.

Is that everyone on their correct sides? I don't like Stecher and Hughes playing opposite sides because that really handcuffs the combinations.

Yes that's top 3 pairs on correct sides. Oscar Fantenberg and Biega are both RD.

Oscar is a depth guy. 7D at best. He'll move up in case of injury but that's about it. 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

At least Carolina has a guy like Pesce that could potentially prop-up/stabilize a Gardiner, who imo was seriously over-rated going into free agency by a  lot of noobs, Ray Ferraro included.  [Maybe Benning throwing his son a bone will finally shut that miserable troll up lol].

Not surprised that Gardiner had to sign for much less than the absurd, frenzied rumours.

And on a certain level - good for him to be out of Toronto - where they didn't seem to have a realistic estimation of his abilities, never really acquired the right complementary D, and did things like left him to be paired with a young Dermott in the playoffs - a recipe for Gardiner getting rekt - as he repeatedly was in series after series against Boston.  As much as I'm not a fan, that's not on Gardiner - it's on Dubas and the Spamaplan.

Wasn’t Gardiner (kind of) a throw in from Anaheim in a deal early in his career?  

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes that's top 3 pairs on correct sides. Oscar Fantenberg and Biega are both RD.

Oscar is a depth guy. 7D at best. He'll move up in case of injury but that's about it. 

Hughes can play right side too.  Tryamkin is natural on the right.  No room for Bulldog, unless it’s as the press box guy.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Same argument can be made for Gardiner, being put in a position he wasn't suited for yet he gets absolutely blasted by pretty much everyone. (Admittedly I did that to Edler, still getting over how dumb I was in regards to him) All I am saying is this is not a terrible pick up like some are claiming. People make it sound like Carolina will get worse adding a 35 point defenseman for 4mil per.

Zaitsev was more used to playing a slightly more offensive game and then switched to a defensive dman because frankly they didn't have anyone much better. Gardiner stayed in his role to generate offense, but got his minutes lowered when Rielly upped his offensive game.

I agree that Gardiner will help them offensively, but the question mark is his defense and whether he can also play the defensive side of things. It is to his benefit to have much better potential d partners than he did in Toronto. I am surprised that people think he will make their defense group as a whole worse, but in the same ilk, I'm surprised people feel the need to run down Myers in the process too.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah I think thats it.

here it is:

Love it.

Great idea to pair Benn and Myers. Both guys want to play here and left money on the table to do so.

And no doubt those two play with "truculence" lol