The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Jake Gardiner

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya that's not being physical.

That's an illegal pick. Penalty every time. Don't want him doing that often in a Canucks jersey. 

its just one example. And on Kadri I'd call that exactly what you want someone to do to that p.o.s. to keep him honest. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true, he isn't a force like Chara. 

But when he wants to he can lay someone out. Not as often as you'd like but the ability is there. Hopefully he finds it for the playoffs. 

Wow terrible penalty. He's definitely no Chara or Stevens, but his presence and size is certainly evident.

I am beyond excited to see #57 in Blue and Green. He's the missing piece our team needed to become a Stanley Cup contender.

Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

Wow terrible penalty. He's definitely no Chara or Stevens, but his presence and size is certainly evident.

I am beyond excited to see #57 in Blue and Green. He's the missing piece our team needed to become a Stanley Cup contender.

Go Canucks Go!

yeah Kadri was faking that the whole way. Loser.

I'm hoping to see 2015 Myers, if we get that we're happy. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah Kadri was faking that the whole way. Loser.

I'm hoping to see 2015 Myers, if we get that we're happy. 

Well if we are hoping for things then I'd say 2009 rookie season Tyler :P

Tyler hasn't topped his rookie year in points... But he's never been dishing passes to Petey, Bo and Brock. I fully expect him to break his rookie record during his contract here. 

Tyler Myers and Jordie Benn are gonna wreck havoc in the pacific for a long time to come. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Since people are comparing Myers and Chara....saw this video 

Also @apollo we could have just drafted him.....instead hodgson or how ever you spell his name. Ha 

and myers isn't that soft he usually gets in acouple fights ever year if iirc. His hitting has stepped back since his Buffalo days but once in awhile he still throws a good one. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, apollo said:

Well if we are hoping for things then I'd say 2009 rookie season Tyler :P

Tyler hasn't topped his rookie year in points... But he's never been dishing passes to Petey, Bo and Brock. I fully expect him to break his rookie record during his contract here. 

Tyler Myers and Jordie Benn are gonna wreck havoc in the pacific for a long time to come. 

yup he could be part of a lot of scoring, and provide a decent amount of his own too. Whens the last time we had a RHD score 9 goals?

Sure he's not a physical beast but he usually has around 100 hits which puts him in the top 100 for defence man every year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its just one example. And on Kadri I'd call that exactly what you want someone to do to that p.o.s. to keep him honest. 

I'm sure he's used his body at other times over 10 NHL seasons..

In WPG he had 3 fights in 5 years, hardly truculent behavior imho. 

I think it's probably a good idea for people on here to temper their expectations of this player.  Or they will be disappointed and Myers will be the biggest whipping boy on CDC by Xmas. 

Myers is not a physical player. He looses one on one net front battles often. He also makes a lot of turnovers in the dzone.

As long as people on CDC know these things he won't be the most hated Canucks player 2 months into the season. 

Edit 

Typo 10 seasons not 11

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm sure he's used his body at other times over 11 NHL seasons..

In WPG he had 3 fights in 5 years, hardly truculent behavior imho. 

I think it's probably a good idea for people on here to temper their expectations of this player.  Or they will be disappointed and Myers will be the biggest whipping boy on CDC by Xmas. 

Myers is not a physical player. He looses one on one net front battles often. He also makes a lot of turnovers in the dzone.

As long as people on CDC know these things he won't be the most hated Canucks player 2 months into the season. 

good points, you should know what to be excited about and not criticize a player for something he's not (although what would 1/2 of CDC have to talk about then?).

I'd call him average physically. If he was 6'2 no one would care but with great height comes great expectations I guess. But I haven't spent that much time watching WPG outside of the playoffs so I'll be curious to see if you're right about him in front of the net. 

Personally I'm much more excited about his o-zone play and I think a solid partner like Benn will pick up the slack in other areas.

• Cheers 1

On 9/6/2019 at 7:10 PM, Alflives said:

I would agree if Jake didn’t have back issues.  His back is likely what kept teams away, and his dollars down.  

Yah I agree with that combined with the less than expected cap ceiling, wonder why he didn’t sign a prove it type deal (1 year contract).

9 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Yah I agree with that combined with the less than expected cap ceiling, wonder why he didn’t sign a prove it type deal (1 year contract).

Then he’d have no long term safety for his back.  I’m sure a guy with a bad back wants the longest term possible.  He’s now guaranteed 24 million, even after his back completely gives out, and he’s on LTIR.  I’m wondering if he even starts this season?  

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Since people are comparing Myers and Chara....saw this video 

Also @apollo we could have just drafted him.....instead hodgson or how ever you spell his name. Ha 

and myers isn't that soft he usually gets in acouple fights ever year if iirc. His hitting has stepped back since his Buffalo days but once in awhile he still throws a good one. 

Less than 1 fight per year.

7 fights in 10 seasons for career. 

3 fights in 5 seasons in WPG. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup he could be part of a lot of scoring, and provide a decent amount of his own too. Whens the last time we had a RHD score 9 goals?

Sure he's not a physical beast but he usually has around 100 hits which puts him in the top 100 for defence man every year. 

His average has been about 60 hits in WPG when healthy. 

735 hits 10 seasons.73 hits average for career

Last year was UFA contract  year so he turned it up to 97. He hadn't got close to that since BUF.

I expect 60 hits next season.  

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Less than 1 fight per year.

7 fights in 10 seasons for career. 

3 fights in 5 seasons in WPG. 

His average has been about 60 hits in WPG when healthy. 

735 hits 10 seasons.73 hits average for career

Last year was UFA contract  year so he turned it up to 97. He hadn't got close to that since BUF.

I expect 60 hits next season.  

well, that is 20X Loui's total. 

• Haha 1

No one is expecting Myers to be a physical force.

We’re expecting Ferland, Miller (like Kessler without the dives), Virtanen, Beagle, Benn, Roussel (when he comes back), Tryamkin (when he comes back) and Podkolzyn (when he starts his NHL career) to provide truculence.

Horvat and Boeser aren’t slouches either when it comes to competing.

Edited by Me_

28 minutes ago, Me_ said:

No one is expecting Myers to be a physical force.

We’re expecting Ferland, Miller (like Kessler without the dives), Virtanen, Beagle, Benn, Roussel (when he comes back), Tryamkin (when he comes back) and Podkolzyn (when he starts his NHL career) to provide truculence.

Horvat and Boeser aren’t slouches either when it comes to competing.

You sure about that? 

On 9/7/2019 at 3:29 PM, apollo said:

Love it.

Great idea to pair Benn and Myers. Both guys want to play here and left money on the table to do so.

And no doubt those two play with "truculence" lol

BTW @apollo i don't  think Benn and Myers will be paired together.

Both are turnover machines.  Worst two on the team. The puck won't make it out the zone if those two are paired together.

Myers 63 giveaways -31 turn over ratio 

Benn 71 giveaways -52 ratio

Gardner has 53 giveaways -25 but played 19 less games.

• Upvote 1

I’m not sure “Gardiner or Myers” was ever a thing.  

On the left side, Edler signed a fair deal on great term and he’s a rock solid do-it-all type.

Then there’s Hughes who Gardiner would be bumping into a lesser role.  That’s really the key - we have an offensive LHD locked and loaded.

Finally, we have Benn on a great value deal.  Maybe without the Luongo recapture we could have added Gardiner instead of Benn (assuming he wanted to come here at all) but that’s still taking away from what we’re hoping is Hughes’ job and leaving us pretty soft after Edler - especially since it takes the size of Myers out of the potential pairings. 

On the right side, without Myers, it’s the same-old Tanev-Stecher top 4 with Biega replacing Guddy.  That’s just plain unacceptable considering Tanev is lucky to last 50 games and then we’re really reaching down the depth chart. I’m a huge JB homer but I know I said after the season there’s no way he can come back with that on the right side again. Further, Tanev and Stech are effective but incredibly soft.  I get it - Myers isn’t known for his physicality - but he brings more than those two do to a top 4. Myers also gives us a huge RH shot from the point that we sure aren’t getting from Tanev or Stecher.  

As he’s seemed to do lately, JB is betting on his young guys, in this case Hughes, to carry the mail.  He’s not going to sign a guy who makes his star prospect redundant.  It just makes a more sense for the overall balance of the team to go Myers>Gardiner if you believe Quinn is ready to go. (Let alone Juolevi this season.) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/7/2019 at 8:45 PM, IBatch said:

Your not in touch if you believe Gardiner is better or similar value  - although I’d agree this was a bargain signing for CAR - if he played on the right side he’d getting more and already gone to - there is 50% more L shot Ds then R ones in the league - thems the breaks.  Subban isn’t a good target at his cap hit - Barrie maybe ok hard to say - he won’t be getting the same point totals splitting PP time with OReilly either and at 5’10” he doesn’t bring much else to the table - we’ve already got one ourself in Hughes why get another? 

Edit: and if you like his other moves why not the one that addressed the weakest are of our team - RHD?  At a reasonable cap hit no less (7-8 was been thrown around at the time - or don’t you remember) he took less to come to Vancouver which is good news for us.  We have a giant on the right side - pushing out Biega.  That’s great news.   

Come on, it's pretty clear Gardiner is a better player.  And just because there are more LDs than RDs does not mean that RDs automatically get more money, there is no evidence to support that claim.  

I thought that acquiring a RHD was a good idea, which is why I happy that they targeted Subban and Barrie first, as was reported.  They thew this crazy contract on Myers after striking out on the first two.  I don't think he was a good target and he's vastly overpaid.