The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Jake Gardiner

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If that's the case they can have anyone not named Bo, Petey, Boeser, Hughes or Podkolzin. Slavin or Pesce would make our blueline go from meh to pretty good. This definitely puts some of their D on the block you'd imagine. Bean or Fleury possibly. Maybe they want to move Hamilton, they have Pesce and Faulk as top 4 RD.

Not sure Fleury even has a ton of value anymore. Gotta imagine something has to give with all their D. Bean looks like he should be pushing for a NHL spot this season. 

You're overvaluing Podkolzin. If they want him for Pasce/Slavin (drafting a top 4 D for a 10th pick would generally be fantastic), you take that deal and run. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, AK_19 said:

You're overvaluing Podkolzin. If they want him for Pasce/Slavin (drafting a top 4 D for a 10th pick would generally be fantastic), you take that deal and run. 

Nah, I am perfectly valuing Pod. He's a stud. From what I hear all the Duncan Keith's are in the 2nd round anyway. B) With that said Slavin and Pesce were drafted in the 4th and 3rd rounds respectively.

I am indeed pretty high on Pod. I think when Pod does reach his potential he'll be worth more than Pesce and Slavin. He's got all the tools to be a top 10 player in this league if he can put it all together. Slavin and Pesce are good but I wouldn't move Pod for either of them. His potential is just too damn high.

• Upvote 1

He is a pretty good hockey player. That is a good deal and the leafs are probably not happy they couldn’t have him for 4M. 

He had a couple bad brain farts at very bad times but is a really solid signing.   He is a better player than the two game seven mistakes he made. 

Wonder who the canes are trading for. Could he be going back to leafs in a package for double flamingo?

• Upvote 1

Imagine still believing that GMs let supply and demand dictate how they run teams.

We literally signed a LD to play the right side.

Gardiner + Benn for $6.05 AVV > Myers and Benn for $8 AAV.  This is not a slight against Myers, this is simply just sense.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 5

1 minute ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Imagine still believing that GMs let supply and demand dictate how they run teams.

We literally signed a LD to play the right side.

Gardiner + Benn for $6.05 AVV > Myers and Benn for $8 AAV.  This is not a slight against Myers, this is simply just sense.

If the goal is to lose to Boston in game 7 again, I agree Gardiner and Benn would be the better duo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Why not... neither Myers or Gardiner are great defensive shut down kind of guys and have similar defensive brain cramp issues.

Gardiner is better offensively.  He just became the whipping boy in Toronto because they wanted too much out of him... just like we trash Edler because we want him to be Matthias Ohlund.

Two million less and shorter term makes the Gardiner signing really solid.... whereas most hockey people suggest we overpaid both in term and dollars for Myers.

(EDIT: TO be clear, I am not against the Myers signing at all.  We couldn't have afforded to not change our defence and waiting to see what the market was would have been too risky on our part.. we just paid a premium for that certainty)

I suspect next July 1st will be a lot quieter. Teams will be less likely to blow all their cash right away given the change that’s happening with salary structure and demands by young RFAs

23 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

He is a pretty good hockey player. That is a good deal and the leafs are probably not happy they couldn’t have him for 4M. 

He had a couple bad brain farts at very bad times but is a really solid signing.   He is a better player than the two game seven mistakes he made. 

Wonder who the canes are trading for. Could he be going back to leafs in a package for double flamingo?

I bet Laine is being traded to the Canes for a package. Reunite Laine and Aho....watch them trade for Poolparty too.....damn I’m half joking but this might actually be a good idea.

• Upvote 1

Great signing by Don  Waddell. Cap and term both very good.

Gardiner is a very good offensive Dman. Just ended up being the whipping boy in Toronto. He's prone to making a mistake here and there but very good puck mover and on offense. Good skater.

I don't think Canes are trading a Dman out. They just became a deeper team hoping to make a run in playoffs.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They clearly want to trade Slavin or Pesce. Benning?

yeah you might be on to something, maybe not with us but its possible. Although they now have 4 LHD and 4 RHD so maybe this is them "loading up"