The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Jake Gardiner

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

If that's the truth regarding Gardiner, what then does Myers bring to the team that we didn't already have?  His height?  Again, this myth that right-handed defenders are somehow more important because they shoot right is not a valid reason to overpay for somebody.

There were teams interested in Myers; there were NOT teams interested in giving Myers the term and cash that we gave him.  Your statement would be like saying the Florida Panthers HAD to give Bobrovsky $10 AAV because other teams were interested.

Supply and demand plays a part in any transactional world but it plays less of a role in this one than you and others seem to think it does.  If demand was as high as you believe it to be, he would have went elsewhere.

For me, Myers > Gardiner but we clearly jumped the gun when we didn't need to.  Today's signing is evidence of that and there is nothing wrong with pointing this out.

You snooze you loose, sometimes when you have a need you have to act quickly and I don't blame JB for that. Im glad we got someone who fills the need and I'm not going to second guess now. I would not be happy if we gave Gardner a long term deal

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hmmm, maybe. Is he a 50 pts in 82 game guy anywhere other than TO? we'll see. He had a lot of secondary assists in his time there. 

He probably is because he’d have PP time almost anywhere else. I’m pretty sure statistically in the last 3 years Gardiner has been a top 5 point ratio dman. He’s very good at generating offence. I’m sure if he gets decent PP time he could be a 50 point dman.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

He probably is because he’d have PP time almost anywhere else. I’m pretty sure statistically in the last 3 years Gardiner has been a top 5 point ratio dman. He’s very good at generating offence. I’m sure if he gets decent PP time he could be a 50 point dman.

fair enough. I'll be interesting to see how it goes there. Should be a lot less media pressure. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I thought signing guys for more and longer was just normal for Benning, just ask Loui Eriksson right... We really shouldn't be surprised.

That’s free agency 101. If there’s a market for certain players you gotta pay a little extra than others if you want his services. Eriksson hasn’t worked out, but you’re lying if you said in 2016 you didn’t see it ending up this bad. 

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Why not... neither Myers or Gardiner are great defensive shut down kind of guys and have similar defensive brain cramp issues.

Gardiner is better offensively.  He just became the whipping boy in Toronto because they wanted too much out of him... just like we trash Edler because we want him to be Matthias Ohlund.

Two million less and shorter term makes the Gardiner signing really solid.... whereas most hockey people suggest we overpaid both in term and dollars for Myers.

(EDIT: TO be clear, I am not against the Myers signing at all.  We couldn't have afforded to not change our defence and waiting to see what the market was would have been too risky on our part.. we just paid a premium for that certainty)

Not me. I take Myers over Gardiner any and every day. Even with the difference in salary. Gardiner is horrible at D. Screw the points. Unless he's in the offensive side of center the guys a mess. 

29 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Sucks we ran outta cap space. At that average he would’ve been a good pickup. His agent probably overplayed his hand early in FA trying to get more and ended up losing out.

He's worse than Edler, Tanev, Hughes, Myers, Benn, Stecher, Biega, and Fantenberg.  Why would we sign this pylon? 

• Wat 1

13 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

Like I do every year, my offer is up for a free beer to anyone who can say I'm a bad canucks fan to me in person at a game this year. It's such a stupid notion to think that disagreeing with the way a team is being run somehow makes you a worse fan. 

Cringe gatekeeping.

Except it's not a simple disagreement, and you damn well know it. Making stupid tweets and calling our GM "dim" is not someone simply disagreeing. Funny how you always ignore that part.

Edited by The Great Canucks
  • Cheers 1

Benning was hunting a dman and had to get a deal done early so he didn’t strike out with nothing. This definitely wasn’t Gardiner’s ask at the start of FA if it was he’d probably be a Canuck. I’m assuming Gardiner camp turned down better deals thinking they could get more and months later eventually had to settle. By the time Gardiner’s price came down Vancouver filled the need and used up all the available cap room. Gotta act early to get the pieces you want before somebody else gets them underneath your nose. It’s a shame we didn’t have the cap or need because Gardiner at that price is great value but I’m not gonna fault Benning for how this turned out because circumstances obviously changed over the months.

• Upvote 3

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Benning was hunting a dman and had to get a deal done early so he didn’t strike out with nothing. This definitely wasn’t Gardiner’s ask at the start of FA if it was he’d probably be a Canuck. I’m assuming Gardiner camp turned down better deals thinking they could get more and months later eventually had to settle. By the time Gardiner’s price came down Vancouver filled the need and used up all the available cap room. Gotta act early to get the pieces you want before somebody else gets them underneath your nose. It’s a shame we didn’t have the cap or need because Gardiner at that price is great value but I’m not gonna fault Benning for how this turned out because circumstances obviously changed over the months.

Not to mention we were in desperate need of a dman to anchor the right side depth issue. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Like I do every year, my offer is up for a free beer to anyone who can say I'm a bad canucks fan to me in person at a game this year. It's such a stupid notion to think that disagreeing with the way a team is being run somehow makes you a worse fan. 

Cringe gatekeeping.

Who called you a bad Canucks fan?

As well, if I'm to get this correct, if someone meets you at a Canucks game, and calls you a bad Canucks fan, you'll buy them a beer? Would you become suspicious if someone of a similar build, sporting a similar voice who has a moustache and Groucho Marx glasses approached you a period after and said the same thing?

• Haha 4