The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Jake Gardiner

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

That’s free agency 101. If there’s a market for certain players you gotta pay a little extra than others if you want his services. Eriksson hasn’t worked out, but you’re lying if you said in 2016 you didn’t see it ending up this bad. 

True I didn't think it was going to be this bad definitely thought a possibility of a connection with the Sedins was to at least happen, even if he wasn't my choice to be signed in the first place.

I hope the formating works, but this shows the decline of those 2016 UFAs pretty crazy actually wow.

https://thewincolumn.ca/2019/06/24/a-ufa-cautionary-tale-the-2016-free-agent-class-is-nightmare-fuel/

PPG Contract Year PPG 2016-17 PPG 2017-18 PPG 2018-19 % Decline (Contract year vs 2018-19)
Milan Lucic 0.68 0.61 0.41 0.25 -63.24%
Kyle Okposo 0.81 0.69 0.58 0.37 -54.32%
Andrew Ladd 0.62 0.40 0.40 0.42 -32.26%
Loui Eriksson 0.77 0.37 0.46 0.36 -53.25%
Frans Nielsen 0.64 0.52 0.42 0.49 -23.44%
David Backes 0.57 0.51 0.58 0.29 -49.12%
Troy Brouwer 0.48 0.34 0.29 0.28 -41.67%
Mikkel Boedker 0.65 0.32 0.50 0.49 -24.62%
Jamie McGinn 0.50 0.24 0.38 0.37 -26.00%
Matt Martin 0.24 0.11 0.24 0.21 -12.50%
Dale Weise 0.38 0.23 0.17 0.22 -42.11%
Lee Stempniak 0.62 0.49 0.24 N/A N/A
Joe Colborne 0.60 0.13 N/A N/A N/A

Do people really think we were in on Gardiner? Where was he going to fit in our lineup? He was a backup plan if we couldn't get Edler signed. Unless they think that we missed out on 4 million a year on Gardiner to play on the 3rd pairing and not have Benn for 2 million instead.

Perhaps Benning offered Gardiner 2 million a year as well and he respectfully declined. That's the only way this could have played out if it simply wasn't a backup plan to Edler and they were simply inquiring about his asking price.

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He's not better than any of their guys.  Brutal signing.

Think Pears has it.

4 hours ago, Pears said:

There is 100% a trade coming but...

Slavin - Pesce

Gardiner - Faulk

Bean - Hamilton

TVR, Fleury, Forsling

omg

He is better than Fleury & Van Rymsdyk.  Gives them some solid depth on the left side.  

I don't see the trade as automatic though in the context of LHD. Just buys Bean some time, who inevitably will take over 2knd pair / 2knd PP. You can do worse than have a $4 mill 3rd pair D.  Buys them some depth as a whole to get their sh!t together in case / or when Faulk walks next summer.  Might cost them Forsling on waivers.  

But keeping all of Pesce, Faulk & Hamilton seems more attractive if they can pull it off?

I think only Buffalo can rival it for RHD in the NHL?   

• Upvote 1

Yet another sign o' the times. Money/cap/unconditional love drifting from the UFA class towards the younger RFA class.

When the NHLPA get together, I predict a Ritz Carlton lounge-clearing brawl(with no officials!) 100 RFA's vs 99 greybeard recent UFA's.

You heard it here first...

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Can't wait for the "should have signed Gardiner" threads

For that price, for sure!  Also I’d rather sign Nyquist for 5.5 then trade for Miller.

i like Miller more due to physical play and size but ..

Nyquist 1st & 3rd > Miller 

however, overall I’m happy with the off-season overall and excited for the season/playoff push 

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Lol you are gonna lose all credibility making posts like this.

I stand by my comment.  All of our guys are at least good enough in their own end to belong in the NHL.

Gardiner's only hope of not being a total liability is a move to forward.

Edited by King Heffy

I know not many are high on Gardiner, but I believe he is a far better player than many of you think.  Yes, he has defensive gaffs at the worst time but he isn't really as bad as many make him out to be.  Add to that a guy who is capable of 50 points at only 4m?  Imo, it is a good cap hit for what he can do for a powerplay.

Solid signing for the Hurricanes imo.  Just not sure who leaves to make the room...

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I stand by my comment.  All of our guys are at least good enough in their own end to belong in the NHL.

Gardiner's only hope of not being a total liability is a move to forward.

Gardiner is a product of the Leafs hype machine. A modern day Kaberle. I'm so glad we didnt sign this guy.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Can't wait for the "should have signed Gardiner" threads

I'd do it but I'm already on thin ice with Deb after my drunk posting spree a while ago so I'm trying to behave for now :D

But if I did it would be good I can guarantee you that

Edit: Ok what the hell I threw one together, sorry in advance Deb/Stealth/etc <3

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/391319-gmjb-out-gmd-again/

Edited by BrockBoester

13 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I know not many are high on Gardiner, but I believe he is a far better player than many of you think.  Yes, he has defensive gaffs at the worst time but he isn't really as bad as many make him out to be.  Add to that a guy who is capable of 50 points at only 4m?  Imo, it is a good cap hit for what he can do for a powerplay.

Solid signing for the Hurricanes imo.  Just not sure who leaves to make the room...

He can produce offense but there is zero place on a legit NHL d group for a defenseman who can't play defense.  You don't win playoff series with that guys who are that bad in their own end; it's simply unacceptable for an NHLer.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hmmm, maybe. Is he a 50 pts in 82 game guy anywhere other than TO? we'll see. He had a lot of secondary assists in his time there. 

Gonna pick up a lot of second assists when you have a first pass as good as his. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1