The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Jake Gardiner

6 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Imagine still believing that GMs let supply and demand dictate how they run teams. 

We literally signed a LD to play the right side.

Gardiner + Benn for $6.05 AVV > Myers and Benn for $8 AAV.  This is not a slight against Myers, this is simply just sense.

Supply and demand dictates everything.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He's not defensively bad as many people on cdc believe he is. He's a great skater and can usually recover with his speed if he makes a gaffe. 

Great signing by Donny Waddell. Gardiner is great on PP and will put up 40 + pts with first unit PP. 

Canes got a bargain and definetly improved their D. 

I'd take him at 4 mill any day. 

I don't  believe anyone leaves. They added to LD and became a better deeper team. They were set at RD. Now look real good at LD as well.  

I would agree if Jake didn’t have back issues.  His back is likely what kept teams away, and his dollars down.  

• Upvote 1

I hope the Canes plays the Leafs in the playoffs in a Game 7 situation. Where Gardiner decided to turn the script, putting up 3 points and a +5 rating, earning the Canes the victory and eliminate the Leafs.

Edited by ruilin96
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I would agree if Jake didn’t have back issues.  His back is likely what kept teams away, and his dollars down.  

His back is fully healed and healthy. 

Tyler Myers missed several months with hip injury couple of years ago. Boeser is coming off a very serious back injury. Doesn't seem like it's affecting them. Boeser wants 7 mill 4 yrs. Myers got 6 mill 5 yrs.  

And defensively he's pretty even with Myers. 

In WPG Myers had difficulty handling 1st pair time after injuries to Buff and Morrisey. Hes was pretty bad defensively. He was ok as 2nd pair. 

Considering we paid Myers 2 mill per year more and 1 year longer term this is a great signing by the Canes. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

Oh yeah I'm sure you were sitting right next to his agent as the calls were coming in.   **** out of here.

What,you think there was no one calling and all of a sudden the canes, who have a very good defense already, just said wow Jake is still there we must have him. Jake was ranked as one of the top D FA, I seriously wonder what took so long to find a team and shocked what he signed for, there has to be more to this story we do not know.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Tyler Myers missed several months with hip injury couple of years ago. Boeser is coming off a very serious back injury. Doesn't seem like it's affecting them. Boeser wants 7 mill 4 yrs. Myers got 6 mill 5 yrs.  

Myers and Bess have nothing to do with Gardiner.  Each player, and their injuries, are unique.  Jake has a bad back.  Teams shied away, obviously, because of concerns Jake will struggle with back issues.  Jake might be done.  A healthy Jake I liked as a player.  Jake with a bad back is a very soft player, who hurts his team.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Myers and Bess have nothing to do with Gardiner.  Each player, and their injuries, are unique.  Jake has a bad back.  Teams shied away, obviously, because of concerns Jake will struggle with back issues.  Jake might be done.  A healthy Jake I liked as a player.  Jake with a bad back is a very soft player, who hurts his team.  

His back is healed. I'm sure it made a difference but not 2 mill a year difference. Some teams might have hesitated. 

Reason he didn't sign until now is he was waiting for Leafs to sign Marner and was hoping they'd have enough money left for him after. The door was still open in Toronto and he wanted to go there. Now 1 week before camp he's running out of options and time. So canes got a great deal. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

His back is healed. 

Reason he didn't sign until now is he was waiting for Leafs to sign Marner and was hoping they'd have enough money left for him after. The door was still open in Toronto and he wanted to go there. Now 1 week before camp he's running out of options and time. So canes got a great deal. 

How could he be waiting on Marner to sign to go to TO when the Leafs can barely afford Marner alone? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

His back is healed. I'm sure it made a difference but not 2 mill a year difference. Some teams might have hesitated. 

I don’t think a player with a bad back for 4 x 4 is a good deal.  Jake was already very soft.  He’s going to be even softer.  That’s why teams didn’t want him.  I liked Jake two years ago.  

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

How could he be waiting on Marner to sign to go to TO when the Leafs can barely afford Marner alone? 

There were media talking about it as recent a week or so ago. 

Talk was leafs might trade a player to keep Gardiner in the fold. Cody Ceci was talked about being moved and money used on Gardiner. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

And defensively he's pretty even with Myers. 

In WPG Myers had difficulty handling 1st pair time after injuries to Buff and Morrisey. Hes was pretty bad defensively. He was ok as 2nd pair. 

Considering we paid Myers 2 mill per year more and 1 year longer term this is a great signing by the Canes. 

The signing by the Canes has nothing to do with the Myers signing, Benning had a need and didn't want to loose out so he looked at his options and made his move. Now we  can debate whos better or what signing is better but it would only be relevent if they both signed July 1st, but thats not what happened. Benning paid to get his need right away, I don't think the Canes had a need for Jake at the time, this was maybe a spur of the moment to add cheap depth, one sign that this is what happened is his salary @ 4M, doesn't really make sense, I think most reasonable people here would say thats a very cheap salary for Jake

Edited by Sbriggs

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think a player with a bad back for 4 x 4 is a good deal.  Jake was already very soft.  He’s going to be even softer.  That’s why teams didn’t want him.  I liked Jake two years ago.  

So you don't want Boeser for 4 mill 4 yrs. His back injury was so bad almost ended his career. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

17 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

No one knows if his back has anything to do with the length of time it took for Jake to sign a contract or he was maybe waiting until Marner was signed hoping he may be able to sign with the Leafs again. Your just spewing pure speculation. I like the idea that he was waiting on the Leafs,  even though I wonder why?

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

There were media talking about it as recent a week or so ago. 

Talk was leafs might trade a player to keep Gardiner in the fold. Cody Ceci was talked about being moved and money used on Gardiner. 

Does the media always tell the truth? Especially in Toronto?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1