The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Jake Gardiner

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think a player with a bad back for 4 x 4 is a good deal.  Jake was already very soft.  He’s going to be even softer.  That’s why teams didn’t want him.  I liked Jake two years ago.  

How about Brock who had almost a career ending back injury like seriously the guy is lucky as heck to be able to still play hockey for that matter, let alone in the NHL still(quote from Brock “But I’ve got to look at the other side of it. I am pretty lucky because that injury could have ended my career, honestly) wouldn't that make him soft then in your opinion if someone has had a back injury. Didn't Brock have groin problems/injuries last year as well, I guess that would make him more soft? Oh yeah Brock had a wrist injury as well jezz he's going to be so soft. 

If you thought 4x4 was bad from a back injury, Brock must be around what 2x2 max then in your view with all his previous injuries.

• Upvote 2

Defensively they are similar. Both not very good. Offense Gardiner is better. Myers is TALL but 1 year older. Contract obviously Gardiner is better by a mile. 

Biggest difference Myers is RD. We needed one. He's overpaid and term is too long. But that's what happens in free agency. Almost always overpay in money and cap. 

No doubt Canes got a great deal. But we'll have to wait and see how the contracts play out. 

If JB waited and both Myers and Gardner signed elsewhere then we'd be in trouble.  

Last season Myers had trouble filling in on 1st pair after Buff got injured. He was ok on 2nd pair. Hes a good 4d or 5d

Canucks just made Myers the 25th highest paid Dman in the league and that kinda sucks. That's definitely 1st pair money which Myers is definetely not. But like i said.. UFA signings are rarely a bargain. Almost always overpaid. 

Myers reminds me of the D version of Sutter. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Defensively they are similar. Both not very good. Offense Gardiner is better. Myers is TALL but 1 year older. Contract obviously Gardiner is better by a mile. 

Biggest difference Myers is RD. We needed one. He's overpaid and term is too long. But that's what happens in free agency. Almost always overpay in money and cap. 

No doubt Canes got a great deal. But we'll have to wait and see how the contracts play out. 

If JB waited and both Myers and Gardner signed elsewhere then we'd be in trouble.  

Last season Myers had trouble filling in on 1st pair after Buff got injured. He was ok on 2nd pair. Hes a good 4d or 5d

Canucks just made Myers the 25th highest paid Dman in the league and that kinda sucks. That's definitely 1st pair money which Myers is definetely not. But like i said.. UFA signings are rarely a bargain. Almost always overpaid. 

Foundational? :ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

ohhhhh boy now the ass clowns on hfboards is crying about how we over paid for Myers because Gardiner got 4 million.

Well it is true, and every non local hockey pundit said it was an overpayment when it happened.

It was something we needed to do though.  Benning targeted a guy months before free agency started and he got him.  There weren’t a lot of choices out there for available top 4D, which we badly needed. We got two of the top

guys in Edler and Myers.

Gardiner’s deal is a really good one.  If you can get a 40-50 point D man for effectively the same price as Gudbranson.... you are doing well.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Canes signing Gardiner for nearly 2 million less than we did Myers?  You hate to see it.

Gardiner waiting 2 months as a free agent only hurt himself money wise. Nobody would pay him close to what he’d hope for with camp around the corner. Could have hit a home run the first week of free agency. He missed out on a better payday. 

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well it is true, and every non local hockey pundit said it was an overpayment when it happened.

It was something we needed to do though.  Benning targeted a guy months before free agency started and he got him.  There weren’t a lot of choices out there for available top 4D, which we badly needed. We got two of the top

guys in Edler and Myers.

Gardiner’s deal is a really good one.  If you can get a 40-50 point D man for effectively the same price as Gudbranson.... you are doing well.

Not if he costs more points than he creates because he refuses to play like an NHLer in his own zone.  Gardiner singlehandedly lost 2 deciding games for the leafs with unacceptably poor defensive play.  Unless he does a 180 and commits to actually learning how to play defense, he's worse than useless.

1 minute ago, canucklehead80 said:

Gardiner waiting 2 months as a free agent only hurt himself money wise. Nobody would pay him close to what he’d hope for with camp around the corner. Could have hit a home run the first week of free agency. He missed out on a better payday. 

He wanted a Leafs return more than a pay-day.  Sure, the price may have come down from other teams but he could have probably got paid if he wanted to.

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Toronto's certainly got more star power but I could see Carolina being the better team this coming season. 

CAR was definitely better last season. They made it to the Eastern Conference Finals while  Leafs were out in the first round again. 

This Canes team is set to compete for a Cup the next few years. Their defense is best in the league. They've added a couple of forwards including Haula and Dzingle whom imo is another great signing. They got him cheap just like Gardiner. 

10 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

If that's the truth regarding Gardiner, what then does Myers bring to the team that we didn't already have?  His height?  Again, this myth that right-handed defenders are somehow more important because they shoot right is not a valid reason to overpay for somebody.

There were teams interested in Myers; there were NOT teams interested in giving Myers the term and cash that we gave him.  Your statement would be like saying the Florida Panthers HAD to give Bobrovsky $10 AAV because other teams were interested.

Supply and demand plays a part in any transactional world but it plays less of a role in this one than you and others seem to think it does.  If demand was as high as you believe it to be, he would have went elsewhere.

For me, Myers > Gardiner but we clearly jumped the gun when we didn't need to.  Today's signing is evidence of that and there is nothing wrong with pointing this out.

Hindsight is 20/20.

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Both players are the same age, just a few months apart. I'm not sure how they are similar defensively. Gardiner hardly touched the PK while Myers was heavily trusted on the PK and that is with Trouba who was another RD that also was utilized a lot on the PK. Myers' reach gives him a big advantage defensively.

We will just have to see how both players fare on their new teams this season to have a better gauge.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I would agree if Jake didn’t have back issues.  His back is likely what kept teams away, and his dollars down.  

It’s also likely that Gardiner didn’t want to play in another Canadian market after his experience in TO. 

Why be a whipping boy of the armchair QBs and second guessers, that infest our “fan” bases? Fans here seem to think that they know more about the game then the GMs coaches and players.

It’s pretty brutal for the players, so why not play in a market where the fans treat the players better.? It makes the game fun again.

So many fans here treat Edler like crap. I’m shocked that he actually stayed with the team.

Gardiner will likely enjoy his time with Carolina and he may even do quite well if his back holds up. Good luck to him. 

I seriously doubt that he had any interest in playing here. 

9 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

It’s also likely that Gardiner didn’t want to play in another Canadian market after his experience in TO. 

Why be a whipping boy of the armchair QBs and second guessers, that infest our “fan” bases? Fans here seem to think that they know more about the game then the GMs coaches and players.

It’s pretty brutal for the players, so why not play in a market where the fans treat the players better.? It makes the game fun again.

So many fans here treat Edler like crap. I’m shocked that he actually stayed with the team.

Gardiner will likely enjoy his time with Carolina and he may even do quite well if his back holds up. Good luck to him. 

I seriously doubt that he had any interest in playing here. 

His agent JP Barry (same as Myers and Eriksson) gave an interview before free agency where he said that Vancouver was in the mix.   Apparently a few teams he thought had interest and wanted to play for never contacted him per Russo - Gardiner trains in Minnesota in the off-season.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Provost said:

Why not... neither Myers or Gardiner are great defensive shut down kind of guys and have similar defensive brain cramp issues.

Gardiner is better offensively.  He just became the whipping boy in Toronto because they wanted too much out of him... just like we trash Edler because we want him to be Matthias Ohlund.

Two million less and shorter term makes the Gardiner signing really solid.... whereas most hockey people suggest we overpaid both in term and dollars for Myers.

(EDIT: TO be clear, I am not against the Myers signing at all.  We couldn't have afforded to not change our defence and waiting to see what the market was would have been too risky on our part.. we just paid a premium for that certainty)

This is a good signing, Gardiner has his issues like any NHL player. When you go out July 1 and need or want to improve your team you end up over paying with term, $ or NMC.

If your a team willing to wait, you can sign a guy like Gardiner for 4m who can provide some offense. Carolina hasn't been impressed with Bean's development I dont believe so this is a decent signing. Nothing wrong with have good depth at the D position.

This deal is for less term and cap hit than many expecting leading up the FA....just like Ferland, pays to wait out the mad rush of free agency sometimes

• Upvote 1