The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Bailey | #95 | RW

Crabcakes

12 minutes ago, Borvat said:

To be fair those Buffalo teams were just awful and he was only 21/22 years old.  I think he has earned some consideration with his play this year.  As we have seen all players don't develop equally.  With his size and speed it would be a shame to lose him without giving him a chance.  Imagine he is the next Kassian without the fisticuffs.  Kassian's trajectory is not far off if you look at his stats at the same age.  Kassian had issues but maybe all Bailey needs is the right opportunity.

image.png.9bacecdeb09fd665e9060f224d8052e4.png

image.png.6d0bbd13107e523334ae88a8a0448510.png

I'd love to see him audition for the big club.  Down here I get a lot of the opposition team feeds, and almost without exception they comment on Canucks team speed, and having Bailey would certainly add to that mystique. Paired with Jake, and with a center with speed (Madden?) they would give the other team fits.  I fear though that the concensus here would be to slot him onto the 4th line, but he is having his success as a first line Utica player.  He'll hit if the opportunity is there, especially to spring the puck loose, but he's not like, say, Arseneau, who never saw a hit he didn't like. 

Edited by Googlie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

With each passing years, (kudos on JB and staff) the roster is getting harder to crack, especially, for tweener propsects due to the quality of prospects/players we have in the farm/other leagues.  Let the cream of the crop rise to top, to complement the core. 

Bailey, is playing well and I am sure, JB has taken noticed.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

26 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I'd love to see him audition for the big club.  Down here I get a lot of the opposition team feeds, and almost without exception they comment on Canucks team speed, and having Bailey would certainly add to that mystique. Paired with Jake, and with a center with speed (Madden?) they would give the other team fits.  I fear though that the concensus here would be to slot him onto the 4th line, but he is having his success as a first line Utica player.  He'll hit if the opportunity is there, especially to spring the puck loose, but he's not like, say, Arseneau, who never saw a hit he didn't like. 

Based on how TG likes to mix his lines up it may not be the worst thing to "start" on the fourth line.  At least TG can see his game and it gives Bailey an opportunity.  Short of more injuries (especially if Ferland returns) Bailey may not get a better option than to start on the fourth line this year.

42 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Based on how TG likes to mix his lines up it may not be the worst thing to "start" on the fourth line.  At least TG can see his game and it gives Bailey an opportunity.  Short of more injuries (especially if Ferland returns) Bailey may not get a better option than to start on the fourth line this year.

That brings up a good point with the Canucks on recess I wonder if management will be heading to Utica to see the team live

22 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

That brings up a good point with the Canucks on recess I wonder if management will be heading to Utica to see the team live

They play a few games over the All Star break so I would imagine it's likely.  

Someone mentioned previously that Bailey was possibly not the best player, more of a Boucher who couldn't make it in the NHL and that's why he wasn't looked at more so I did some searching.

Bailey was drafted 2nd round, 52nd over in the 2013 NHL draft by Buffalo.  When he entered the league and split time between Buffalo and Rochester, he averaged less than 12 minutes per game on the 4th line between 2015 and 2018/2019 on a team that in 4 full seasons never garnered more than 81 points.  During the same time the Canucks also saw their worst stretch since the Keenan era.  If you look at our 4th line over the same period of time you'll see just how woeful scoring and ice time for 4th liners was

Bailey on a terrible like god awfully terrible Buffalo team was in fact one of the most defensively responsible players by the numbers, and honestly the more I look the more impressed I become.

He really looks like a guy who is starting to put it together, a little late in the show but far from unheard of.  never played more than 32 games a season.  Never played more than 11:38 a game for ice time.  Was defensively responsible on a 4th line on one of the worst stretches of any team in league history of nearly 4 seasons.

The guy might be Boucher like, but he's never actually had a chance long term to see if he was more.  Benning might have a diamond in the rough here

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That never happens for bigger guys (power forward types).  They don't blossom later.   Just doesn't happen.   It's a myth.   Just like the Virtanen kid, this kid will never improve later.   Big guys are either stars at 20 like the smaller guys or they are a bust.    

Isn't that what people keep shoveling?    

Nice to see you back Rob. Still in Europe?

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Nice to see you back Rob. Still in Europe?

Back and forth - more than ever now that a recent gig that had me flat out has wrapped up nicely.    Was able to take in the WJC which was a great atmosphere.    Still hoping to make your part of the world there in BC my "retirement" location and as I near 40 that is coming close to fruition.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, therodigy said:

3 hat tricks in a 4 game span is an awesome feat, even in the AHL. Imo, he's certainly earned a call-up. Awkward to fit him in due to the team's current strong play, but I think it's a matter of when we'll see him dressed for a game or two, not if.

I doubt it. Sutter just got back and Ferland isn't too far out now. We already have Schaller and Big Mac sitting. Leivo could come back in a month too.

Way too many forwards as it is.

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I doubt it. Sutter just got back and Ferland isn't too far out now. We already have Schaller and Big Mac sitting. Leivo could come back in a month too.

Way too many forwards as it is.

He's back in Utica.  Played today