The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Pavel Zacha signs in KHL

Baer.

More points in less games than Virtanen. He's certainly an NHL player, bottom level at this point but still young & plenty of tools. I think his NHL upside is probably middle 6 C but still a useful young player.

Never got why NJ took him that high tbh (considering who was available). Toolsy player, but always felt like a project. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Oh wow, didn't expect to see that at all.

The more we see these top 10 drafted players not panning out the more I feel a shade less angst over the picks Benning has made

Once you are out of the top 2, the chances of getting a bust skyrocket.

That's why I'm so confused why Canucks fans treat 1st round picks as untouchable treasures.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mephnick said:

That's why I'm so confused why Canucks fans treat 1st round picks as untouchable treasures.

Because context is king.  If you trade a first for a core piece then it usually works out decent.  If it’s for a pure rental, then it rarely works out.  For example if we were closer last year and traded our 1st for a desperation act we would have lost out on Pods for nothing.  Every situation is different.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Baer. said:

The KHL doesn't allow out clauses so Zacha will play in Russia regardless.

Zacha hasn't signed yet. His agent told Ray Shero KHL is an option if no contract. 

If he signs with them he'll have to stay in the KHL as there's no transfer agreement between NHL and KHL.  Merely agreeing to terms doesn't mean anything. He has to sign to be locked in.

4 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Because context is king.  If you trade a first for a core piece then it usually works out decent.  If it’s for a pure rental, then it rarely works out.  For example if we were closer last year and traded our 1st for a desperation act we would have lost out on Pods for nothing.  Every situation is different.

Before Jim it was better to trade our first for rentals....they brought more then who we drafted ha

35 minutes ago, mephnick said:

Why.....take a look at the pasted few drafts Petey , Hughes and now Podz...thx to Jim our first are treasures...

I do agree with trading our first for Miller or other core pieces...it has to make sense for both teams, has to fill a need also. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

...that's why the talk in cowtown is Tkachuk maybe the Flames next Captain after Gio retires...

...and the Flames in negotiations to offer him $7+ Million/ year (make him the highest paid player on the Flames)....yeah, they probably think he has bad character and can't play...so that's why he only will get $7+M

That was the talk at the draft.  Right or wrong, they were saying that he was a sh!t disturber and a loose cannon just like his old man.  Anyhow, that may be true to a degree.  At this point both Tkachuk brothers look like good guys to have on YOUR team, not so much if they aren't.  :lol:

Edited by Crabcakes

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Boeser might be going to Europe if Canucks don't pay him. 

Marner has plans to go to Europe if Leafs don't pay him..

Pretty standard negotiating and planning by his agent. Especially since Zacha is European.

If I was him I'd go to Beijing China or St. Petersburg  Russia. Moscow or Helsinki would be tempting as well. I don't know about Omsk. Maybe it's a nice place. 

It's not money, it's term. He wants to end as a UFA.

48 minutes ago, Per Her Son said:

It's not money, it's term. He wants to end as a UFA.

Who Zacha Boeser or Marner?

That could be said about every single player. They all want that so they can get paid big as Ufa.  

But if you give them big money say 10mill per year you bet Boeser would sign an 8 year contract.

Then term won't matter and he won't care about being Ufa in 5 yrs.  

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Pete M said:

...that's why the talk in cowtown is Tkachuk maybe the Flames next Captain after Gio retires...

...and the Flames in negotiations to offer him $7+ Million/ year (make him the highest paid player on the Flames)....yeah, they probably think he has bad character and can't play...so that's why he only will get $7+M

Cool, thanks for your input.

17 hours ago, Monty said:

More points in fewer games than a certain Canucks 6th overall pick ;) 

Jake Virtanen time on ice:

17/18: 11:59

18/19: 14:49

Pavel Zacha:

17/18: 14:22

18/19: 16:05

Not really comparable since they play different roles. Zacha was given top-6 minutes last year and failed to improve his numbers 

11 hours ago, mephnick said:

2017 is already looking like an odd draft. Hischier is a very good player, Patrick looks like a slow-burner, but 3-4-5 was Heiskanen-Makar-Pettersson. In a redraft, that's your top three, Hischier is fighting for 4th overall, and Patrick comes several spots down.

2014 too. Ekblad and Reinhart went 1-2, but Draisaitl went third, hands-down the best player in the draft.

But then you have drafts like 2015, where Arizona took Dylan Strome third ahead of several future hall-of-famers :lol:

11 hours ago, mephnick said:

The pick itself is almost always more valuable than the player chosen (unless they become a superstar).  

Picks are like cash.... easily used, easily transferable, value is constant.

Prospects... like any stock, real estate, art work... the value is all dependent on context, age, development, etc.  Unlike real world equivalents... most prospect value tends to drop as most don't make it.  

44 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Jake Virtanen time on ice:

17/18: 11:59

18/19: 14:49

Pavel Zacha:

17/18: 14:22

18/19: 16:05

Not really comparable since they play different roles. Zacha was given top-6 minutes last year and failed to improve his numbers 

Yeah, Jake has been a terrific 6th overall pick...

16 hours ago, Pete M said:

I also recall Vancouver media asking Tkachuk if he ever felt like the Canucks were close to picking him, and his answer was along the lines of, no, they didn't really even talk to me all year long.