The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada's Bianca Andreescu defeats Serena Williams at US Open

Dazzle

20 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Very pretty and classy lady. But can absolutely destroy me athletically - as well as 99.9 percent of all people.

There’s a newer song I hear on 94.5 fm.  It’s a girl singing, and she says, “if you don’t like girls who a stronger, faster, and smarter than you ... you won’t like me.”  I’d say Bianca qualifies in all three areas when compared to 99.9% of the boys her age.  I’d also say that 99.9% of those boys would like her very much.  She reminds me of Gabriella Sabitini.  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I have no confirmation, simply speculation from the sources I have in the tennis community, that she wasn't alone when she "slipped" in the shower

So you're saying she was assaulted/sabotaged? (Or maybe you're not actually saying it but someone who isn't you)

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So you're saying she was assaulted/sabotaged? (Or maybe you're not actually saying it but someone who isn't you)

They played mixed doubles together at that US Open. If anything, I think he's implying that there was some 'behind the scenes business' going on that night.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

They played mixed doubles together at that US Open. If anything, I think he's implying that there was some 'behind the scenes business' going on that night.

I really don't get it. Is he implying that she hit her head in the shower when she was "hit from behind" as she was bent over?

I feel like I'm really obtuse here.

8 hours ago, 112 said:

no, not really.

i tend to put more weight into intellectual achievements than hitting a ball over a net. she's still done nothing for the world.

How are you changing the world bud?  I would expect the typical charitable donations for tax purposes alone would do more for others than most people do in a lifetime. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, 112 said:

no, not really.

i tend to put more weight into intellectual achievements than hitting a ball over a net. she's still done nothing for the world.

I think Bianca winning the US OPEN is a huge personal accomplishment.  It's an individual thing.  For her it's wonderful.  As a fellow Canadian I feel a sense of pride that she won.  I guess, as fans, we kind of live vicariously through athletes?  

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 9:32 PM, Dazzle said:

I really don't get it. Is he implying that she hit her head in the shower when she was "hit from behind" as she was bent over?

I feel like I'm really obtuse here.

Premarital coitus aka sex aka rumpy bumpy aka the horizontal shuffle aka jiggy jiggy aka rocking the casbah aka they dog gone 'did it'.

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2019 at 12:04 AM, 112 said:

no, not really.

Young people who devote their time to being the best at something deserve more than this.  It takes a huge amount of focus, dedication, discipline and energy to reach an elite level in sports.  While peers are hanging out doing fun stuff, professional athletes forego some of the fun things in order to train, adhere to diets and fitness regimes, etc.

Undermining the importance and success of setting a goal then attaining it through commitment and hard work seems kind of silly.   Especially in a teenager.

I give her credit for battling through adversity and staying the course.   Just as intellectual achievements require a level of personal investment, they're both worth celebrating.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Young people who devote their time to being the best at something deserve more than this.  It takes a huge amount of focus, dedication, discipline and focus to reach an elite level in sports.  While peers are hanging out doing fun stuff, professional athletes forego some of the fun things in order to train, adhere to diets and fitness regimes, etc.

Undermining the importance and success of setting a goal then attaining it through commitment and hard work seems kind of silly.   Especially in a teenager.

I give her credit for battling through adversity and staying the course.   Just as intellectual achievements require a level of personal investment, they're both worth celebrating.

I agree that it's impressive and that she should be lauded for her talents and commitment. I just think the attention she's getting for it is a little much for what she's actually contributed to the world.

Maybe a small party at home with her friends around would have been nice and appropriate, but being situated in the international media spotlight? There's value in competition and being the best at something, but she didn't cure cancer.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1