The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Faulk Wants Extension in place to Approve Trade to Anaheim

Warhippy

On 9/10/2019 at 11:53 AM, theo5789 said:

Not sure how Gardiner who's a LD gives them more freedom to move Faulk. The fact they had Faulk, Hamilton, and Peace (and TVR) is what allows for a move like this which is already what they had in place before Gardiner.

Good on the Carolina GM for going after their target player whomever it may be and having the balls to approach Faulk with a deal despite a team that wasn't on his trade list.

If this deal does go through, I think Buffalo is going to be hanging on to Risto too long and something's gotta give there soon. Not just the fact that he wants out, but the fact that they have him, Montour, Miller and Bogosian all on the right side.

I think this is another step towards the devolution of the Canes that Francis built.

This move makes sense in one way - it enables Carolina to use Pesce to prop up Gardiner, much the way Slavvin props up Hamilton.

But here's the problem - I'd take Hanifin and Faulk over Hamilton and Gardiner - and that's not considering the disastrous Lindholm for Ferland rental outcome, where Carolina has nothing to show for a 5th overall the broke out literally the day he left Carolina.

Hanifinm likewise,  had 33 pts, with 48.9% ozone starts, was +18, and 28 of those points were even strength or shorthanded.  He was  22 years old.

Faulk outscored Hamilton in the playoffs, had 4 fewer pts in the regular season, had better even strength goal metrics than Hamilton, better turnover differntials than Hamilton, better grit outcomes than Hamilton - played bigger minutes than Hamilton, and here's the real kicker - Hamilton (once again, as in Calgary where he played with Giordano) was propped up by a Norris candidate quality partner in Slavvin, who turned it up even moreso in the playoffs = was an absolute beast.  Faulk played with good partners - DeHaan and Pesce - but it's all relative. 

There is no string of genius here (but 'asset management!'- Carolina are on the path from Hanifin and Faulk - to a pair of situational airheads imo = Gardiner and Hamilton will do some flashy things paired with great partners, but Slavvin and Pesce - with better all around partners than Hamilton and Gardiner - are the types of guys that could anchor a SC quality blueline.

I'm not a fan of the progression that has seen Lindholm, Hanifin, and now Faulk on their way out - the latter two replaced with a pair of pond hockey highlight reel D (maybe a fairer way of putting that would be two of the most over-rated defensemen in the NHL).  I did like the Nino deal though.

If I'm Carolina, I'm not going out and signing Jake Gardiner - when I have a #1LHD in Slavvin, have a couple young LHD like Jake Bean and Fleury - just on the heels of signing and dumping DeHaan.  I think the best building blocks that team has - are ones Francis left behind (Slavvin, Aho, Pesce, Teravainen) - while I remain entirely unconvinced by the work of Francis' successors.  Even in their abbreviated cinderella playoffs, their biggest uptick  'surprise' came from Foegele.   They blew it dealing Lindholm and Hanifin, have only a couple years of Hamilton term left to show for it, and imo Gardiner is not only a potential impediment to Bean, but a downgrade on Faulk if they must be compared (LHD vs RHD).   The one thing Gardiner has going for him (aside from signing for what he's probably worth as opposed to the absurd frenzy rumours/expectations that he'd be getting a 7 million long term deal - and getting off that Toronto blueline)  - he's probably going to get the benefit of playing with Pesce - but Pesce is the kind/quality of defenseman that most D would benefit from.  I won't be surprised if Carolina does not go as far this year despite all the rising young talent they have (which are what truly drives that team, despite the Dundon era).

Edited by oldnews

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Yes, we would be better off. Which is why this trade would never happen. I like me some Boeser but Bean looks like a stud in the making, Faulk is a top 4 righty, and Gauthier had a pretty solid season in the A last year with 27 goals. Not to mention with a handful of weeks til the season starts Brock has no contract. Trading him would set the negotiation back a bit and that's likely not something Carolina wants.

Totally agree we don't get that package for boeser.....just havin fun.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think this is another step towards the devolution of the Canes that Francis built.

This move makes sense in one way - it enables Carolina to use Pesce to prop up Gardiner, much the way Slavvin props up Hamilton.

But here's the problem - I'd take Hanifin and Faulk over Hamilton and Gardiner - and that's not considering the disastrous Lindholm for Ferland rental outcome, where Carolina has nothing to show for a 5th overall the broke out literally the day he left Carolina.

Hanifinm likewise,  had 33 pts, with 48.9% ozone starts, was +18, and 28 of those points were even strength or shorthanded.  He was  22 years old.

Faulk outscored Hamilton in the playoffs, had 4 fewer pts in the regular season, had better even strength goal metrics than Hamilton, better turnover differntials than Hamilton, better grit outcomes than Hamilton - played bigger minutes than Hamilton, and here's the real kicker - Hamilton (once again, as in Calgary where he played with Giordano) was propped up by a Norris candidate quality partner in Slavvin, who turned it up even moreso in the playoffs = was an absolute beast.  Faulk played with good partners - DeHaan and Pesce - but it's all relative. 

There is no string of genius here (but 'asset management!'- Carolina are on the path from Hanifin and Faulk - to a pair of situational airheads imo = Gardiner and Hamilton will do some flashy things paired with great partners, but Slavvin and Pesce - with better all around partners than Hamilton and Gardiner - are the types of guys that could anchor a SC quality blueline.

I'm not a fan of the progression that has seen Lindholm, Hanifin, and now Faulk on their way out - the latter two replaced with a pair of pond hockey highlight reel D (maybe a fairer way of putting that would be two of the most over-rated defensemen in the NHL).  I did like the Nino deal though.

If I'm Carolina, I'm not going out and signing Jake Gardiner - when I have a #1LHD in Slavvin, have a couple young LHD like Jake Bean and Fleury - just on the heels of signing and dumping DeHaan.  I think the best building blocks that team has - are ones Francis left behind (Slavvin, Aho, Pesce, Teravainen) - while I remain entirely unconvinced by the work of Francis' successors.  Even in their abbreviated cinderella playoffs, their biggest uptick  'surprise' came from Foegele.   They blew it dealing Lindholm and Hanifin, have only a couple years of Hamilton term left to show for it, and imo Gardiner is not only a potential impediment to Bean, but a downgrade on Faulk if they must be compared (LHD vs RHD).   The one thing Gardiner has going for him (aside from signing for what he's probably worth as opposed to the absurd frenzy rumours/expectations that he'd be getting a 7 million long term deal - and getting off that Toronto blueline)  - he's probably going to get the benefit of playing with Pesce - but Pesce is the kind/quality of defenseman that most D would benefit from.  I won't be surprised if Carolina does not go as far this year despite all the rising young talent they have (which are what truly drives that team, despite the Dundon era).

All GMs make mistakes. They're moving on and trying to make the best of what they do have. They acquired Neiderreiter who looks like a steal if he can continue his progress which makes the loss of Ferland not as tough to swallow. Gardiner is basically a placeholder/insurance should Bean not be quite ready. If Bean is the real deal, then they boost Gardiner's value being paired with a solid guy in Pesce and can try to unload him for some value for someone they acquired for free. We will see how this plays out, but it's no surprise they would be going in a different direction than Francis simply because they wouldn't have let him go otherwise.

JB should try and get this guy. We need another legit top 4 D man more than we need a winger with very little experience that wants 8 million per year. Trade boeser for Faulk and some great prospects.

That would be a huge winning deal for the Canucks. The problem is that boeser probably does not sign an extension with them either unless he gets 8 million per year..I mean...does he think that is reasonable for a guy that plays sports at 21 years old and has shown very little consistency other than being injured? 

Good god child boeser....grow up and be reasonable. :picard:

Edit: I have hated NHL shutdowns in the past. But apparently we need another one to get this wacky rfa structure back to reality . These barely post pubescent males need to realize they don't run the show.  The GMs need to get together on this. Although I hate the billionaire owners as much as the millionaire players sometimes...these young punks have too much sway on these teams right now.  Needs to get fixed. Take a seat boeser. I welcome you back if you take a reasonable contract (even then you make way too much coin for hitting a piece of rubber with a piece of wood - even though I am a Canucks fan big time). Very confusing. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 1

Bob Murray believes the leak comes from Dundon and is not happy about it - excerpts:

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/09/14/ducks-gm-bob-murray-rips-ondrej-kase-trade-rumors/

“When things are out there and haven’t happened and some owner decides he’s going to garner some friendship with the media, and he’s going to get close to the media, and he puts things out there, some of these people, I wish they were players at some point in their lives,” Murray said. 

“Obviously, they weren’t.”

“I’m very old school,” Murray said. “I hate the trade deadline when things get reported before you get a chance to tell your player. I think that’s all wrong that something gets out there before you get to talk to your player. It’s just how I am, and I think there’s some GMs out there that agree with me.”

From the same article:  Or more to the point, Faulk didn’t get the offer from the Ducks that would have prompted him to waive his no-trade clause. It’s believed he wanted a seven-year contract and a significant raise from the $4.83 million he’ll make this season, the last before he can become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

• 2 weeks later...