The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cuporbust's radom Canucks tidbits . Cuporbust baby

Rate this topic

cuporbust

Hey guys . Found a few little things I thought u might enjoy.  

(Province article)

Former Canucks GM at biotech technology to enhance players ability to perform better at high speeds . I really found this interesting.  One of the very few things I did love about Gillis was his ability to think outside the box . Who knows where this might lead. 

It has been five years since Mike Gillis last worked full time in hockey.

Since being dismissed as general manager of the Vancouver Canucks in 2014, Gillis has travelled around the world to learn how other sports go about their day-to-day business.

During the last year or so, Gillis’s name has been linked to several NHL teams and jobs. We recently caught up with him to discuss that, and what he’s learned in his global travels:

Q: What have you seen from outside the hockey world that you think translates best to thinking about hockey? A: One of the places I spent some time at is the Biotech Campus in Geneva. It’s sort of a philanthropic incubator for helping people who have various disabilities or ailments.

One of the things they really focused on was neuroscience and cognitive awareness and nervous systems, and how the interplay could be advanced with decision-making, cognitive awareness, all of those things blended together.

They were doing experiments with prosthetics and wheelchairs that were being controlled, or hardwired, into people’s nervous systems. It was really interesting to see.

To advance the program they had to really understand as much as they could about how you could train your brain to actually function differently. One of the things I spent a lot of time on was cognitive awareness, how you make decisions quicker, how you can train people to think differently.

They were working on a wheelchair that was controlled through thought, as opposed to mechanics, prosthetics that were able to feel the cold, that you were able to feel if it was dark. And you’d have a prosthetic where you picked up a glass of water and you could tell that that was water.

They were doing a lot of really interesting things that have a direct correlation to performance.

One of the things I was thinking about was how you can translate the data they were collecting and the techniques they were beginning to understand on a sports field, into better training to make decisions quicker, using every tool from enhanced vision and hearing, to create an environment where you got much better performance?

That was a place which left a distinct impact on me, where you might be able to go with some of the things they were learning about the human brain and how it could be developed, and what techniques were available to develop those specific areas and begin to apply them to elite level athletes, or at least be able to create a baseline.

You’d certainly have the relevant data to suggest where you might make improvements, why the best players think the way they do and play the way they do and then explore putting specific training from neuroscience applications in place.

Nils Hoglander the Canucks superfan?

Thought nils had some very flattering things to say about being drafted by our team. Made me an even bigger fan than I already am.

Sportnet:

Now that you have been drafted , what do hope on improving this year?

Nils Hoglander:

Ya if coarse I plan on improving on everything,  but I was just drafted by Vancouver,  the best team in the Nhl,  so I'm just going to play (and try and improve on everything).

Sportnet:

Vancouver the best team in hockey? What makes you say that? Were you a fan of Vancouver growing up or are you just saying that because you are part of the Canucks organization now?

Nils Hoglander:

Yes of coarse I watched the Canucks every year.

Sportsnet:

Was the reason you watched the Canucks as much as you did because the Sedin twins came from Sweden?

Nils:

Yesnif coarse , and now they have another swedish player on the team (Pettersson).

Paraphrased of coarse lol

I thought that was kinda cool 

Pettersson picked by many as first overall in a 2017 redraft 

Still in shock we actually won the lottery at 5th overall.  Who would have thought Pettersson would outscore , and outplay both forwards picked above him that were supposed to be in the "next tier" . 

Not huge news here , but I still loved actually seeing  more then one site saying this (for my own satisfaction ). Lol

Hope everyone had a great summer.  

20190910_231535.jpg

20190910_231607.jpg

20190910_231635.jpg

Edited by cuporbust

48 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

So what we're to make of these tidbits, then, is that Sweden produces hockey cyborgs once every so often (equipped with the secret biotechnology mentioned above), and then programs them to worship Vancouver and the Canucks. Gradin, Naslund, Ohlund, the Sedins, Edler, Pettersson, and now Hoglander,

This leads to them all coming here and forming a Swedish Hockey Cyborg Dynasty.

Sounds like a good TV mini-series, at the very least.

Could call it "Borgs on Ice"

Edit: Just a quick google search has revealed to me that Borg means Castle in Swedish. Who knew?

Double edit: Ew at glancing past the above image and seeing Petey's name next to the Devils logo in that re-draft scenario.

um...nailed it?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

So what we're to make of these tidbits, then, is that Sweden produces hockey cyborgs once every so often (equipped with the secret biotechnology mentioned above), and then programs them to worship Vancouver and the Canucks. Gradin, Naslund, Ohlund, the Sedins, Edler, Pettersson, and now Hoglander,

Edit: Just a quick google search has revealed to me that Borg means Castle in Swedish. Who knew?

Double edit: Ew at glancing past the above image and seeing Petey's name next to the Devils logo in that re-draft scenario.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Gillis is a smart guy, and he certainly does think outside the box regarding physiology. He was the one who started concentrating on sleep and travel, while other teams laughed. Now, I imagine, most of those teams with tough travel are looking at that stuff more closely now. But saying all that, Gillis wasn't a great GM IMO (trades or drafting). 

Love the Hoglander comments.

3 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Here I was hoping Gillis was learning about scouting and drafting........ha

You do realize that the team core is still Gills right? HORVAT!!!!! Tanev, Markstrom only in his  6th year has Benning managed to put three draft picks on the ice.

What's the BUST? Another rebuild ala Colorado? Close but not there then rebuild and now a powerhouse? 4 more years then.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

2 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

You do realize that the team core is still Gills right? HORVAT!!!!! Tanev, Markstrom only in his  6th year has Benning managed to put three draft picks on the ice.

What's the BUST? Another rebuild ala Colorado? Close but not there then rebuild and now a powerhouse? 4 more years then.

lol only drafted Horvat after we traded scheinder   and tanev and markstrom weren't drafted   by mikey g  

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

and  So what we're to make of these tidbits, then, is that Sweden produces hockey cyborgs once every so often (equipped with the secret biotechnology mentioned above), and then programs them to worship Vancouver and the Canucks. Gradin, Naslund, Ohlund, the Sedins, Edler, Pettersson, and now Hoglander,

wheres lars lindgren , lars molin , per olvo brassar   Patrick Sundstrom  and anders eldebrink , on  the list   btw Geneva is in Switzerland 

Edited by the grinder

52 minutes ago, the grinder said:

wheres lars lindgren , lars molin , per olvo brassar   Patrick Sundstrom  and anders eldebrink , on  the list   btw Geneva is in Switzerland 

How could I have ever overlooked those guys? :D

Yes I am aware where Geneva is located but thank you for adding a sprinkle of geography into this thread. Can never get too much geography!

6 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Team core has never been gillis's....never will be, over his time in van he drafted Bo so let's over look the years his sucked at drafting ah? He also drafted hunter in that same draft instead of Shea Theodore.....

Tanev was a free agent and Lo basically told gillis to send him to the panthers....oh and markstrom is not a core piece yet.... Good numbers last year lets see him build off that first....

okay gillis gotten given a core and couldn't draft a player to add to it.... That says all I need to know.....I could draft better then him....Gillis was good with contracts at the time those ntc came back to haunt us....but add pieces he sucked...

Burke drafted the Sedins and kesler and KB and signed Burrows, it was his core plain and simple....kinda funny after him not one core piece was added threw the draft......

• Cheers 1