The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pronman: Top 123 NHL Prospects (athletic)

Rate this topic

zombieksa

Yep.   It’s close enough to other rankings that have more merit to seem credible (THN future watch is probably the bar - they use actual NHL scouts to rank the prospects and then take the average - not sure how this list is ranked - if it’s the writers themselves then I don’t think it’s as credible). 

Im assuming Kakko, Makar and J Hughes made the top three - am I correct?  QH at 4 after the recent draft is pretty darn good - and like to see Podz that high.   Curious where they ranked Dobson and Bouchard and Boqvist the other top defenseman in QHs draft too (THN had Bouchard 13th pre draft).   And where Byram is in comparison (usually the new toys get a boost in their rankings the first year).   Also stoked to see OJ where he is - THN had him 66 pre-draft which is also good news for us. 

Nice to see that we still still have some good things coming - and obviously by this article Demko is considered a player already even though he’s hasn’t played many games yet, same with AG.  Nice to see Woo get some acknowledgement, he had a great year - is like having two first rounders three years in a row for us, both star players from the top of the draft and middle first rounders too.  

Couldnt view the article otherwise I’d check it myself.

Edited by IBatch

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   It’s close enough to other rankings that have more merit to seem credible (THN future watch is probably the bar - they use actual NHL scouts to rank the prospects and then take the average - not sure how this list is ranked - if it’s the writers themselves then I don’t think it’s as credible). 

Im assuming Kakko, Makar and J Hughes made the top three - am I correct?  QH at 4 after the recent draft is pretty darn good - and like to see Podz that high.   Curious where they ranked Dobson and Bouchard and Boqvist the other top defenseman in QHs draft too (THN had Bouchard 13th pre draft).   And where Byram is in comparison (usually the new toys get a boost in their rankings the first year).   Also stoked to see OJ where he is - THN had him 66 pre-draft which is also good news for us. 

Nice to see that we still still have some good things coming - and obviously by this article Demko is considered a player already even though he’s hasn’t played many games yet, same with AG.  Nice to see Woo get some acknowledgement, he had a great year - was like having two first rounders two years in a row for us, both star players from the top of the draft and middle first rounders too.  

Couldnt view the article otherwise I’d check it myself.

To answer your questions:

yes you got the first 3 prospects right. Byram was #5

Dobson #20

Boqvist #25

Bouchard #26

I don't think goalies were ranked in this list.

Edited by zombieksa
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, zombieksa said:

To answer your questions:

yes you got the first 3 prospects right. Byram was #5

Dobson #20

Boqvist #25

Bouchard #26

I don't think goalies were ranked in this list.

Maybe they were but not made it?  Samsonov or (can’t spell it) in WSH is considered a sure thing (struggled in AHL last year at first but later did well) - after Hart I think he might have been the top goalie prospect surprised he’s not on the list.  Hart is doing his best Price impression - long time since a goalie broke into the NHL at 19-20.  Other then these guys and maybe MD on our team and the guy Florida drafted this year couldn’t see anyone else making it.

FYI Demko ranked as high as 23 before he made the show on THNs future watch.

3 hours ago, zombieksa said:

https://theathletic.com/1186105/2019/09/12/pronman-top-123-nhl-prospects-entering-the-2019-20-season/

There is a paywall so I will just list where Canucks prospects are ranked:

#4 - Quinn Hughes
#15 - Vasili Podkolzin

#58 - Olli Juolevi
#59 - Tyler Madden
#76 - Nils Hoglander
#123 - Jett Woo

so 6/123 are Canucks prospects including 4 in the top half of the list. Makes a strong argument for us having one of the better prospect pools in the league. 
I would post what is said about each but I don't want to break any rules about paywalls. So what are your thoughts? Do these findings make you happy?

Prospects are great to have, (especially if your team is already doing well, like the Lightning and Jets are with both)  but the list is also misleading

Some are still prospects, while their peers are  already making big contributions  in the NHL

I think teams like the Coyotes and Canucks  better have prospects (or what do you have to show the fans after all the bad years, prospects bring hope, but all do not all pan out)

I've said it before, I still want to see late round picks or undrafted ones making big contributions to the team much like Edler, Bieksa, Hanson, Raymond, Burrows, Kesler, Rypien  Tanev made us a top team before

Then we have a stronger case made for our scouting

20 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Prospects are great to have, (especially if your team is already doing well, like the Lightning and Jets are with both)  but the list is also misleading

Some are still prospects, while their peers are  already making big contributions  in the NHL

I think teams like the Coyotes and Canucks  better have prospects (or what do you have to show the fans after all the bad years, prospects bring hope, but all do not all pan out)

I've said it before, I still want to see late round picks or undrafted ones making big contributions to the team much like Edler, Bieksa, Hanson, Raymond, Burrows, Kesler, Rypien  Tanev made us a top team before

Then we have a stronger case made for our scouting

You mean like Guad and Madden and tram...to name acouple from 3rd round back....

also even if we made the playoffs , we still could have gotten madden, hoglander and Woo.

not a bad at all two second rounders looking like first and can say the same about madden....

i think we will start to see the guys that show promise from the later rounds show up....Rathbone is an guy I got my eye on personally...but those later round picks usually take longer.....

(FYI Kesler was a first round pick....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

It's worth every dime and they have a huge following. Harman is an amazing young writer

What is the average fan going to use the information for? To win debates and feel like the smartest guy in the room?

Fantasy and gambling?

Most people propping these sites up that champion analysis and data analysis and forecasting are their fellow peers.

It's like PFF in football or ESPN Plus or In$ider.

Why would I pay for data from writers when if you really wanted,you could hire a company and pay people for much more advanced data that is publicly available.

What happened to content being accessible for all?

If analytics are not free and open,the average fan will never learn to appreciate and respect their value in sports.

16 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

What is the average fan going to use the information for? To win debates and feel like the smartest guy in the room?

Fantasy and gambling?

Most people propping these sites up that champion analysis and data analysis and forecasting are their fellow peers.

Why would I pay for data from writers when if you really wanted,you could hire a company and pay people for much more advanced data that is publicly available.

If analytics are not free and open,the average fan will never learn to appreciate and respect their value in sports.

No, it's not just analytics. They do a lot of interviews, opinions, what could have been, what could be, predictions etc..

You don't have to subscribe, they're doing quite alright I'd say, as they keep hiring more writers.

These writers have done this because they weren't making money doing what they wanted. Welcome to capitalism, where people capilitize on things with a value. You suggest paying a company to do it, but they already are that company. These guys go in depth. 

Worth every dime

Edited by 5Fivehole0

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Fantasy and gambling?

Time(in & of itself) is money. Fiat money might just be toilet paper. Add it up, & it all prob amounts to TMI. Sports need to be more fun & spontaneous.

Just one more 'old guyz' view that'll perhaps get razzed. But I'll be damned coughin' up hard earned, to climb a paywall, & spend even more mins, arse in chair, perusing stats.

55 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Is that you Harman?

Haha, you got me. I like to browse CDC for ideas on my next story.

So far I have.

"Louie Eriksson sucks"

"When will Virtanen take the next step?"

"Gaudette, more like Godette"

"Will Goldobin ever get it?"

"Why the heckle did Jim Benning trade a first for a plug? Subscribe to find out!"

Don't forget to hit the like and subscribe button, and the little notification bell!

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Time(in & of itself) is money. Fiat money might just be toilet paper. Add it up, & it all prob amounts to TMI. Sports need to be more fun & spontaneous.

Just one more 'old guyz' view that'll perhaps get razzed. But I'll be damned coughin' up hard earned, to climb a paywall, & spend even more mins, arse in chair, perusing stats.

Dude, how not sober are you?

• Haha 1