The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blues bringing back the Gretz era jersey

Rate this topic

canuck73_3

On 9/14/2019 at 7:35 PM, Free-Unit said:

Lmao Gretzky plays less than 20 games for St.Louis and these are being dubbed Gretzky era jerseys. Lol.

Guess you weren’t around back then.   Even now when Gretzky speaks the entire hockey universe stops and listens - that’s because he was the greatest and most dominate athlete in the history of any sports ever.   I’d bet he could put on his skates now, just run a PP and get 70-80 points. He was a god among men when he played - right until the last year he played.   I forgot they wore them as long as they did - if they didn’t say Gretzky “era” I wouldn’t even know what they talking about.   

He could score or pass a puck like anyone before or after him.  Only Orr was close to his greatness but he faded way too early and even he couldn’t do the things he was capable of.   Watching him snap shot a puck far corner of a face off with everyone lined up is a thing of beauty - EP is special but WG was  and always will be the best.   Make the Sedins look like they pass the puck like Sutter.  He’s humble and modest to a fault - but four 200 point seasons in a row in any adjusted era is still otherworldly.  Hitting him was hitting smoke Sather used to say - yes he had big brothers in Semenko and McSorely but they didn’t mind if it was a clean hockey play.   It was a much rougher era then today too...and he outproduced the next generation in the dead puck era when he was close to retirement.  

So yes it makes sense to say it’s the Gretzky era sweater..what else would you call it?