The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vaping

-DLC-

I own approximately 11 vapes and I'm addicted to it. It's one of my favourite habits.

Your friend's son was probably using a cheap vape like a Juul which is made out of plastic. The burning plastic from the Juul is probably what caused this medical condition. Even though my vapes aren't made out of plastic I'm afraid this could happen to me as well. Might switch back to cigarettes. 

Vaping is often marketed as a way to begin quitting of smoking, which is great, but unfortunately, it seems to have replaced the smoking of the olden days as the new things for people. I know little about it, but my understanding is that it's generally not as bad...which is not at all to say it is at all healthy--quite the contrary. It seems like a trap for non-smokers (those not yet addicted to nicotine) to me, as I've seen a lot of reports from people of damage caused by vaping.

If one is vaping as a way to mitigate the problems with smoking cigarettes, that's great, but it seems like it's catching on as a habit for many that weren't addicted to nicotine in the first place, which is too bad. I have faith that, as with cigarettes, the public image of vaping will turn sour in time as the public realizes that it too, is a very bad health decision, but it might take some time for the hype around vaping to fade.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

I own approximately 11 vapes and I'm addicted to it. It's one of my favourite habits.

Your friend's son was probably using a cheap vape like a Juul which is made out of plastic. The burning plastic from the Juul is probably what caused this medical condition. Even though my vapes aren't made out of plastic I'm afraid this could happen to me as well. Might switch back to cigarettes. 

You're life you're choice, but man if you have to approximate your amount of vapes you might be overdoing it

Alot of my friends vape, as a replacement for cigarettes. Personally I grew up with my mom & grandparents smoking around me regularly & I absolutely hated it, always pushed them to quit. (Which my mom thankfully now has) 

Never caught onto cigarettes or vaping. But as I said I see it first hand all the time. I agree with -AJ- that its replaced Cigarettes as the 'cool thing' to do. Even if you go on the internet there's channels dedicated to vaping like everything else. I'm not all that educated on it as I don't do it, but I'd imagine we're just scratching the surface as far the health consequences. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, riffraff said:

When I was young I thought smoking looked cool so I did it.

there is nothing cool about sticking a massive piece of plastic in your mouth and blowing clouds of smoke that smell like peach pie.

Sure there is.  Just like you thought smoking was cool when you were a kid.  Now it's all about vaping 3 Juuls at once.

Nothing cool about the things you and I did in our schooling years either.  Sucks to be teenagers today.

1 hour ago, morrissex95 said:

Vape gawwwwd

Bad habit yes, but there really hasn't been any concrete information out determining cause of these serious respiratory illnesses of late.  I'd guess that those that have fallen ill are either vaping black market products or attempting to fill vape cartridges with their own bootleg products.  I'd put the blame on lack of law enforcement geared towards the black market vape products.  

12 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I heard stats on the news, in the US 27% of youth are vaping and 30% of those transition to smoking cigarettes.

Nasty things.  As a bridge to quit fine but that probably only represents a small portion of the market.

Which means 8 out of every 100 kids are transitioning to cigarettes after vaping.  Wonder what the percentage of youth that start off smoking and stay smokers are.

I also would like to know of the 27% of youth that vape, how many would've tried cigarettes and stuck with it if vaping wasn't a thing.