The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordie Benn | #8 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 11/4/2019 at 5:57 PM, SergioMomesso said:

After watching the Cali road trip All Access video. Jordie Benn should be reading all of the starting lineups every night. Guy looks and sounds like he should be a lead singer/guitarist for metal band from East Van. 

He is pretty jacked too.  He would make a great "Johnie Canuck" and he could pass as a Lumberjack. ::D

Edited by dpn1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'll omit last night's game because he was utterly terrible, but I have been noticing Jamie for all the wrong reasons lately.  He appears to be getting out worked on the boards, and out hustled to pucks.   For a 6'2" he plays much smaller and appears to be slow and tires fast.  On the other hand, Fatenburg (6'0" ft) has been surprisingly OK-good, I don't know if he has more hits, but his hits are much harder, and Fatty gets his shot through.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canuckfan_Brett said:

I'll omit last night's game because he was utterly terrible, but I have been noticing Jamie for all the wrong reasons lately.  He appears to be getting out worked on the boards, and out hustled to pucks.   For a 6'2" he plays much smaller and appears to be slow and tires fast.  On the other hand, Fatenburg (6'0" ft) has been surprisingly OK-good, I don't know if he has more hits, but his hits are much harder, and Fatty gets his shot through.  

I get the feeling that Edler's absence is a factor here, causing Benn to play above his pay grade.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

I noticed Gudbranson started wearing one as well. Kassian at 28 years old might be the youngest player without a visor left now.

EDIT: Looked it up. He's the third youngest. O'Reilly is about 2 weeks younger and Andrew Shaw is the youngest at about 28.5 years old.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wonder how long Benn is going to take being a healthy scratch. 

I barely remembered that he played in Florida.

Hoping to see more of Jordie sometime soon.  Still like him, but he needs to move pucks faster.  May take some time before we see him, but his experience, grit, and overall fearless play will be valuable down the stretch for this very young team.  

I fully expect him to find his way back into the top six at some point this season.

• Cheers 2

22 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I barely remembered that he played in Florida.

Hoping to see more of Jordie sometime soon.  Still like him, but he needs to move pucks faster.  May take some time before we see him, but his experience, grit, and overall fearless play will be valuable down the stretch for this very young team.  

I fully expect him to find his way back into the top six at some point this season.

If Benn and Myers managed to bring the scoring we were hoping for, our D would be noticably more potent. To me, both have been a big disappointment. 

I honestly haven't seen Benn bring us anything that Tryamkin can't bring even more of.

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

If Benn and Myers managed to bring the scoring we were hoping for, our D would be noticably more potent. To me, both have been a big disappointment. 

I honestly haven't seen Benn bring us anything that Tryamkin can't bring even more of.

To be fair, I don't think many expected offense out of Benn. What he did in Montreal was a career year and it's not surprising he hasn't replicated it. He's been more of a disappointment in other ways, really.

Myers has definitely been a disappointment, especially offensively. He's picked it up a bit in the last 20 games or so, but he's still not up to the pace I'd want from him. I think he should ideally putting up points at around at least a 30-point pace.

EDIT: Upon further review, he's picked it up more than I realized. In October and November, he had 4 points in 27 games. His last 19 games (December until now) have produced 11 points in 19 games, which is actually half decent. Hopefully he keeps that up.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

To be fair, I don't think many expected offense out of Benn. What he did in Montreal was a career year

EDIT: Upon further review, he's picked it up more than I realized. In October and November, he had 4 points in 27 games. His last 19 games (December until now) have produced 11 points in 19 games, which is actually half decent. Hopefully he keeps that up.

Yeah, I read in passing he has been doing much better, but honestly didn't take the time to read in full and should have. Guess he needed to find his fit - though there are still plenty of things he does that drives me crazy - like bad passes, ill-timed and telegraphed passes, slow puck movement and common lack of physical play even close to what he is capable of. (Though to be fair, inconsistent physical play has always been his trademark). Still, if he can keep up the points that will go a long way.

As for Benn, I partially agree. You are right - he had a career year in Montreal, and expecting that from him while coming into a new team and system may be unrealistic. With that said, despite a solid start he is still on pace for the lowest ppg since his rookie season - which is unacceptable to me in a system where he is given a leash to pinch in and contribute. Like you said - it's other elements of his game that aren't keeping up either... contributing towards a pretty disappointing season imo. That's why I figured Tryamkin would be a better replacement. He too isn't exactly a scoring machine, but he should at least keep up to Benn's pace, and has a much better reach to get in the middle of things.

IMO, big hits from Tryamkin on key players and the overall intimidation factor in general can totally change the complexion of a series. Are Benn (or Fantenberg for that matter) capable of actually changing a game? I don't really see it. Based on what I have seen this season, they are both typically solid nhl-level but depth guys who are awesome to have for filling in when we inevitably sustain injury, but that's about it.

• Upvote 1

Benn is a stop gap cause no one in the system was ready.  There was competition - apparently Montreal wanted him back.  This is the problem when needs are filled via FA.  At least it's not a terrible contract.  I did expect more physicality from him.  Look at the hit totals.  He is a bit of a turnover machine though.

image.png.16fc66a9b7eb385210e5189ee14505f1.png

image.png.529c7ee2c87aaa1bd3802ef96b993599.png