The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Nucks @ Flames / Flames @ Nucks

Rate this topic

xereau

38 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

That line combo crossed my mind. I just don't see Petey and Boeser wanting to be away from one another. They are so effective together it seems counterintuitive to do that just for Goldie. I think Green wants to see if Goldie can play with less offensively gifted players. I'm sure Goldie would do well with other high end talent like Petey and Boeser if he can't figure it out with Bo and Miller. He just needs an opportunity if that is the case. Lets hope he can make it work with Bo and Miller.

Just by watching him, Goldie would play better with a smarter player of 'lesser skill' than a "more talented" but physical 'north south' type guy. 

Heaven forbid, he might actually play well with Eriksson. ... I can't believe I said that. 

Goldy - Sutter - Eriksson - Eriksson collects the garbage, Sutter handles the heavy lifting on D and Goldy looks for the openings to get it through to Eriksson or one of the D-men. He had a few really really good passes and looks today- when the receiving player was "where he was supposed to be" - in a predictable spot. It's not like Eriksson would overskate a pass either... one has to be moving to do that. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Plus 2 for Woo! Nice. I’m stoked to see this kid play some preseason games. 

Yeah I was watching Woo battling Beagle behind the net in one of the scrimmages in Victoria. He was making it hard on Beagle really containing him against the glass/boards. Very impressed with his defensive side of his game. He is producing in the WHL we will have to see if that can translate later to the AHL and beyond.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Ok, a working list of those who didn't play tonight that will probably play tomorrow:

Pettersson, Hughes, Myers, Edler, Markstrom, Demko, Sutter, Pearson

who else you guys got?

Lots of Utica signed players such as Stefan LeBlanc, Dylan Blujus, Matt Petgrave, Vincent Arseneau, Landon Ferraro.

Considering Carter Bancks, Wacey Hamilton, Carter Camper all got looks tonight, wouldn't put it past them to have them as plug ins especially after a back to back night game.

Also Juolevi, but who knows if he is game ready.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

6 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Lots of Utica signed players such as Stefan LeBlanc, Dylan Blujus, Matt Petgrave, Vincent Arseneau, Landon Ferraro.

Considering Carter Bancks, Wacey Hamilton, Carter Camper all got looks tonight, wouldn't put it past them to have them as plug ins especially after a back to back night game.

Also Juolevi, but who knows if he is game ready.

Juolevi's the guy for me. He's gunna play at some point, wonder if it'll be tommorrow. 

Not much happening from the Canucks till the last of the 3rd.

Like Macintyre... I think he'll be a good backup if Markstrom gets traded.  Di Pietro needs a lot of seasoning and some discipline and techical work in his game.

Some flashes of good things between Horvat and JT Miller... this may be the partnership this season with the third position on the line unclear...  Goldobin of course, had moments where he looked like he was going to amaze everyone, but just couldn't do it.

Rafferty has promise. 

I still like Gadjovich's hands and his cool... but speed is not there yet.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

A delightful surprise to find an acquisition come in this time, like Miller and play as advertised. Only one pre-game but he looks like a smart player. Great to see Bo rewarded with some real talent to play with.

I thought Teves looked good, even before his goal. Good signing by JB on the one year entry for him. We can always use more scoring defense.

I expected Rafferty to be better than Teves, but actually it was a bit of the reverse.  With Hughes and these new guys, together with Stecher, the younger D are looking really promising.  And you are right; all look very smart.  It will be interesting to see if any of them -- other than Hughes obviously -- will play a lot of games with the big team this year.  I think some might.  Woo looked okay too, but the extra year or two for some of these other guys really makes a difference.  Woo made a couple of interceptions leading to quick passes to forwards that suggests he will be the offensive guy to go along with Hughes and presumably Juolevi.  Teves and Rafferty look like the Tanev type, but maybe with more scoring potential, hard to tell though.

• Upvote 1

I thought Teves outplayed Rafferty that game even if you take away the goal.

Rafferty had a really up and down game. Made some real clutch plays and had some good carries but had to get bailed out a bunch on the PP and by Teves. He made way more mistakes, Teves could of had a quiet game for most of you until the goal but he had a really smooth game overall and only a couple of mistakes that were noticeable. He can definitely handle the puck too but Rafferty was noticeably better in that regard. You definitely see the upside in Rafferty though.

I thought Lind had a bad game. Coughed up the puck a bunch. Gaudette had an up and down game but was always engaged physically. Gadjovich was unnoticeable, maybe because of the speed he plays with or lack thereof.

Goldobin had an up and down game as well. Looks faster and a bit more engaged though

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I was working tonight so had to check Twitter when I could to see how things were going- man was I pumped to see Virtanen score two.

I'm watching the 1st period of the Victoria game and it's my first viewing of Miller- yeah I'm sold. 

I saw the cgy feed highlights of their game, seems like whenever a Canuck was about to lay the body it got cut lol.  Physical game?

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I thought Teves outplayed Rafferty that game even if you take away the goal.

Rafferty had a really up and down game. Made some real clutch plays and had some good carries but had to get bailed out a bunch on the PP and by Teves. He made way more mistakes, Teves could of had a quiet game for most of you until the goal but he had a really smooth game overall and only a couple of mistakes that were noticeable. He can definitely handle the puck too but Rafferty was noticeably better in that regard. You definitely see the upside in Rafferty though.

I thought Lind had a bad game. Coughed up the puck a bunch. Gaudette had an up and down game but was always engaged physically. Gadjovich was unnoticeable, maybe because of the speed he plays with or lack thereof.

Goldobin had an up and down game as well. Looks faster and a bit more engaged though

Lind looks like he can snipe, but a lot of the rest of his game is not up to the level you'd expect from a guy who was so good in Junior.  Let's hope he picks it up.

Goldobin looked better, I agree.   Less skating around waiting for a pass, more initiative. 

The lack of any serious hitting in the game makes it hard to assess players, I find. 

Unless Gadjovich gets Bo's skating coach sometime soon... this kid is going to have a HARD time making it at any pro level.  I do appreciate the fact that he didn't try to impress anybody by overdoing the physical/fighting stuff.  That stuff can really just distract from the game, the coaches and mgt don't have the time anymore for that, they need to decide on players so early now.  

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Another guy that people might not of noticed was Brisebois. Had probably the most quiet game out of all of our defenseman which I don't think it is a bad thing, it's just the way he plays. Playing with Tanev I sometimes thought he was Tavev, they both move around and handle the puck similarly. 

I noticed Chatfield's physicality a bunch in this game. He isn't afraid to to engage in that regard.

Utica should be interesting to watch this year. We have a bunch of defense with some promise. Hopefully someone can make the jump out of that group on top of Juolevi. That'd be huuge.

He looks like a more confident player.

• Upvote 2