The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Nucks @ Flames / Flames @ Nucks

Rate this topic

xereau

Our defense was horrendous in Victoria. So many 3 on 1 or 2 on 1 situations. Everyone trying to be a hero and carry the puck out of our zone through 3 guys. Hooking guys to stop then from getting a breakaway. Nobody on D was a bright spot except Teves one goal, but no solid defensive plays. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

That Victoria game wasn’t the most riveting of games where I fell asleep in the third where it looked like things got good. The first two periods that I did manage to see looked like this.

9DD11DEC-D26F-4294-9767-CD8A4E918B7C.jpeg

Man, at 8:00 AM before work, that really trips me out :blink:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Pretty sure that Breezer is still on an ELC and is waiver exempt

I'd thought he lost his exemption, but you're probably right.  I thought he looked rock solid last night.  He's going to be a keeper I think.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd thought he lost his exemption, but you're probably right.  I thought he looked rock solid last night.  He's going to be a keeper I think.

I thought he was solid last night too; no real noticeable weaknesses to his game. Utica looks to have a pretty solid D core for this season.

I had a few thoughts as the game progressed, but saved em for morning:

A lot of potential in our young defence men.  Rafferty has potential to be a very good puck moving D, but showed a bit of nerves or rust at times.  Teves had a great goal and otherwise was fairly solid, but still a few defensive things to work on.  

Lind looked pretty good out there.  Gadjovich looked lost.  Loui went to the net and was rewarded, he needs to do that more often.  Bo and Miller looked like they were just getting warmed up for two periods and then BAM.  Goldobin looked more into it for the whole game, but didn't get rewarded for it.  Tanev looked good.  Calgary's farm team looked very good until they didn't.  They played a system much better than the Canucks did (who looked a step and a thought behind almost the whole game).  DiPietro made some nice saves, but faced too many quality chances.  Gaudette looked decent.  Of the young forwards, he and Lind stood out for me.  Focht did not stand out either positive or negative for me.

Overall, kind of a meh game for a lot of guys you hoped would bring more with a couple of exceptions.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Brisbois was arguably Utica’s best defenseman last year including the games OJ played in (no PP time for Brisbois in those games) - he’s not noticeable in a good way for sure.   Doesn’t get rattled and rarely out of position, and makes quick clean outlet passes after a few strides up the ice.   Really comfortable about our defensive depth now - more so then in a long time. 

Benn comes as advertised - took a penalty on what I thought was just a clean hit in the first period but love how he makes guys pay the price for coming down his side.  And his beard is kick-ass.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Another guy that people might not of noticed was Brisebois. Had probably the most quiet game out of all of our defenseman which I don't think it is a bad thing, it's just the way he plays. Playing with Tanev I sometimes thought he was Tavev, they both move around and handle the puck similarly. 

I noticed Chatfield's physicality a bunch in this game. He isn't afraid to to engage in that regard.

Utica should be interesting to watch this year. We have a bunch of defense with some promise. Hopefully someone can make the jump out of that group on top of Juolevi. That'd be huuge.

Been saying for a while now that he has the potential to be our eventual 'Tanev replacement'. He might not ultimately have Tanev's top 4 ceiling (though I wouldn't completely write that off) but he plays a VERY similar game and could be a solid #4-#6 guy for years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

That Victoria game wasn’t the most riveting of games where I fell asleep in the third where it sounded like things got good. The first two periods that I did manage to see looked like this.

9DD11DEC-D26F-4294-9767-CD8A4E918B7C.jpeg

You gotta turn on your windshield wiper.

• Haha 2

Sloppy hockey but that’s  to be expected.

i thought Leivo was our best forward or at least most fun to watch.  He has dangles and a shot.  I like how there will be a a legit shot threat on each of the top three lines.

overall I was most impressed with Brogan Rafferty.  Kid can skate, has decent size, good reads and obvious IQ.  When he got caught he would hustle to get back into position and made some nice desperation type plays.

I had the name award going to Bo Horvat but I think we have a new champion of hockey names Brogan Rafferty.  Legit hockey name.

BR3.

honourable mention to Buddy Robinson of the flames.

Edited by riffraff

My thoughts being at the game last night.

A lot of sloppy passes by the young guys. I saw a lot of just lobbing the puck to no one or way off target. The passes weren't crisp and often slow which made it very easy for Calgary to pick them off and go the other way. The Horvat Miller Goldy line was our best line by far. For most of the game the Canucks couldn't hem the Calgary in their end. I think Calgary scored early which allowed them all to relax and just be in the game while the Canucks were tense and nervous for the first 2 periods. I think had the Canucks scored on one of the penalties early in the game it would have been a far different game but that isn't what happened so it is speculation.

DiPietro looked bad in my opinion, he would do the Luongo belly flop on the first shot and then it was mostly up to the defenders to block the shot or get to the puck first. 

Tanev was super smooth. I saw many times were Calgary was about to be threat and Tanev would just calming break it up.

• Upvote 1

Teves impressed me. Much more so than in his look at the end of last season. Could be that it was due to playing some of Calgary’s  lesser-knowns, but his skating really popped for me.

Goldy needs to be more noticeable in upcoming games. Same with Gaudette. I find myself pulling for both these guys.

12 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

Agree, we need Ferland with Pety, JV doesn't have that edge. Jake played well tonight , lets see what he does consistently before we promote him to top six. I'd say your dreaming if you think Goldy can make our top six, I know that's where he belongs but what does that tell you then?

I see Petey being like a Crosby in that he will be able to make offensive stars out of anyone.

I think pettersson could spark goldobin 

9 hours ago, samurai said:

two goals in a pond hockey game - yay!

I think it is more the way that he scored than anything.  The OT goal was a play that we have rarely if ever seen from him.  If he is adding in plays that like, it will only increase his effectiveness.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Been saying for a while now that he has the potential to be our eventual 'Tanev replacement'. He might not ultimately have Tanev's top 4 ceiling (though I wouldn't completely write that off) but he plays a VERY similar game and could be a solid #4-#6 guy for years.

aGENT this is something I’m absolutely in agreement with.  I know OJ is the high draft pick with all the potential - but all Breezer has done the past couple years is come to camp, impress the Brass and then go back to Utica and be their best all around defenseman (IMO)... maybe when Edler is done he will get his shot - same with Benn - of course he’s not getting any younger but he still has a decent shot at becoming an solid bottom pairing guy...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I see Petey being like a Crosby in that he will be able to make offensive stars out of anyone.

I think pettersson could spark goldobin 

Well that's what we all would like, don't get me wrong he's an asset I would love to work out I just don't see it by play on the ice last season and only one game this year.

I would not waist alot of time putting Goldy with Petey if things don't click quickly

11 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I see the potential in lind, but he would need to take a huge jump to be NHL ready.  I like that he's adding a little edge to his game.  Let him continue to work his craft in Utica.

Lind looks like a guy who is not enjoying himself.

Every time I see him he looks mad and defeated, like 'it should be easier' or ' he expected to fail'

Reminds me a bit of Jake his first couple of years, as if the high draft possition put too  much preasure on him.

Maybe some success will fix that, maybe he has a short career.

Edited by lmm