The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Nucks @ Flames / Flames @ Nucks

Rate this topic

xereau

2 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I see Petey being like a Crosby in that he will be able to make offensive stars out of anyone.

I think pettersson could spark goldobin 

It's not Goldy's offensive ability in question. Can Petey spark him to go to the net, be agressive along the boards, win puck battles, and be responsible defensively? It's his inconsistency in these areas that get him parked on the bench or scratched from games.

15 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah he looks alot more polished. I'm going to assume other teams have similar defense-man in their systems & say he does clear, in which case he'll be a call-up too.

Between Biega, Fantenberg, Brisebois, Juolevi, Rafferty, Sautner then maybe even Teves, we should have decent depth to draw from. 

Brisbois is still exempt from waivers.  1 more season or 152 NHL games played. Whichever comes first. Good to hear the polish is starting to appear?

15 hours ago, stawns said:

I thought Breezer looked like an NHL player for most of the night.  I'm not sure he'd make it through waivers.

Which makes that a question for next year, as per Cap Friendly;

image.thumb.png.7e6868a64e1e5c4f2d80a51146a88fe8.png

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Brisbois is still exempt from waivers.  1 more season or 152 NHL games played. Whichever comes first. Good to hear the polish is starting to appear?

Image result for tanks alot

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I thought he looked NHL ready last night 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

There was nothing remarkable about any of the Canucks players through the first 2 periods in Calgary. Jake was on the ice for both Calgary goals but Bachman and Beagle were the goats on those plays. The Canucks as a whole didnt see much of the puck in the first 2 periods but Jake looked good playing on the PP. It was in the third when Giordano tried to step up on Jake (and got reverse kronwalled) that Jake really woke up and started to assert himself. At the end of the day, if a guy scores the tying goal and the winner in OT he deserves a little tire pumping.

I was skipping between different games and missed the hit that inspired Jake.  He did look different toward the end of the game.

There have been some great players in the league who weren't quite top 3 all the time, usually because of some limitation or shortened careers or just over-shadowed.  You think of those great Montreal Canadian teams in the Robinson/Lafleur era... Mario Tremblay?  Who dat?  Even Steve Shutt -- not sure he is in Bossy's class, but he could snipe.  I have a feeling that Virtanen is more like that kind of 2nd tier heart and soul guy that has moments of brilliance, physical, but never quite gets to 70 points, maybe not even 60.   Wait til there is a playoff run and guys Baertschi are out with injury.  Jake will make a big difference then. 

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

I think it is more the way that he scored than anything.  The OT goal was a play that we have rarely if ever seen from him.  If he is adding in plays that like, it will only increase his effectiveness.   

Agreed.  That was one of the smartest and patient plays I’ve ever seen him make. 

Edited by 70seven

So much fun to watch Matthew Phillips continue to rise.

Would be nice to have this guy in our system, but otherwise, great to see him still in Western Canada - kudos to Calgary for seeing what a gamer he is - something that was patently obvious to anyone that frequented Royals games through his career.

43 minutes ago, oldnews said:

J.T. Miller looking like J.T. MIller - fun to see him in a Canucks jersey - he, Horvat, Ferland et al are going to give the forward group a new kind of hard to play against.

Miller was relentless when he was really going. The exact type of hockey we want to play. High octane relentless hockey. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Cali Canuck said:

Maybe - Brock is better than Willy and he signed for less.  The Mathews deal was ok / good what's going to kill them is Willy & Marner plus the 11/year they are paying JT.    This ... spend VERY wisely on supporting cast ... is part that has me worried about JB.  He has over spent and the supporting cast and that will come back to haunt him.

It was a risk short term.  With Brock signed, and 26 players in camp, we are just under $1.9 over the cap.  Benning keeps mentioning we can use LTIR?

But the roster can only hold 23 active players. We don't have anyone on sub $700,000 deals. Even if we send or waive the three lowest paid players on the 26 man roster to Utica? We're under the cap!  Key point, we're ok short term!

:lol: Maybe this means we still have moves to make!  :gocan:

More seriously, next year, mid term, we have Jake, Motte & a few others to sign.  But Tanev, Schaller & Leivo, maybe even Markstrom coming off the books. Not much wiggle room, but again ok.  Trade Sutter, or dispatch Markstrom cux Thatcher is raging, Eriksson & suddenly we have cap space for a Tyson Barrie. We have to make up our mind also on Stecher. Or??? Next summer is a pinch, but not a pickle!

2 years from now, almost everyone is off the books. Sutter, Pearson, Baertschi, Edler. Puke, still a year with Eriksson. We hang on to Boeser, 1 more year with Miller, Beagle, Horvat, still have Myers, Ferland. On that note, Myers would be our only signed D? We would have, status quo, only 8 players signed & $40 mill in cap space. Even if the cap did not go up. At that time, presumably, we would be welcoming Hoglander & Podkolzin, possibly Lind on ELC's. Re-signing mammoth deals with Pettersson & close to mammoth with Hughes.  But $22 to $27 mill for 13 players. 

Point being we have cart blanche to do real damage after next summer; with a core of Pettersson, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Hughes, Myers, Demko, Boeser, hopefully & presumably Jake, Gaudette. Juolevi, Tyler Madden, Woo, maybe even Tryamkin as its key role players?

Organizationally, the only area I am real concerned about; we're going to need to draft / trade for another key young centre in the next 2 years. Just, on the off chance we have to start planning past Horvat, and prognosticate that Gaudette or Madden wont steal his job.  Which honestly we should not? Its nice to think he will re-sign when his pact is up the year after.  But you always need a backup plan.  I'm a bit nervous we may need more D with so many contracts expiring. But Utunen, Brisbois, Rathbone all seem to be developing exceedingly well. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I thought he looked NHL ready last night 

I think he looked great last night but he wasn’t playing against many nhl players last night. Mostly junior and AHL players. 

Good thing he looked good but that was nowhere close to nhl roster. 

This year will see some call ups. 

Benning always says he wants the guys overripe in the AHL and these are the type of guys I think he means. 

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

We got Bess and Miller for the same total cost as Marner.  We friggin’ win! 

Hoot, woot, toot!!!

:wub::wub::wub:

22 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Haha, as bad as Talbot looked there?

That was TJ Brodie, top line D made look like a complacent arse by Jake! :lol:   

22 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Oh, the link disappeared?

Jakes 3rd period goal, not that he blew past Giordano?  But he did pass Giordano to score that goal.

That's two good D he schooled.  

And a plug goalie...  :blush:

Good on Jake, no matter how it looked.