The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign F Brock Boeser to 3 year deal with AAV of $5.875 million

Adarsh Sant

Would have preferred to see another year or two cuz he is going to get one heck of a payday and it would have been nice to prolong that.  (He and his agent know this, of course.) 

A true bridge deal but I believe the term and number is fair for both sides. With that said about the fairness, one has to wonder why it took this long to get this signed; it would have been far better for everyone to have done this a week ago.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

One more year would have had his deal expire at the same time as Horvat, and 2 would have taken him to UFA.  Neither of those options would have benefited us, and Benning would have known that.  Good term.

Oh...2 was ufa?  My bad on that. No, we wouldn't want that.

Same contract year as Horvat is no biggie.  We have to have room for them both regardless.

More than anything, I'm just glad it is over.

• Cheers 2

Can't say it's a great deal. On a 3 year term had to be max 5 mill. JB needed to get 6 years min so when Canucks start contending in 3 or 4 for cup BB would have a descent cap hit.  

Hes going to play with EP next 3 years and score lots if goals. Then he's going to look for 10 mill per year. 

I would have let him sit.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 8

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Lol you mad bro?

I'm comparing the difference in value between Boeser and MacAvoy. Did MacAvoy steal your GF or something?

Those contract comparibles are nice but let me know when you have some actual 3 year comparibles to offer. Even better, maybe a comparible of a player with as little leverage as Boeser given he wasn't eligible for arbitration or offer sheets. 

I'm not saying it's a bad deal. Just thought it would come in a little lower given it was a 3 year deal. Oh how ridiculous ^_^

You really though it would be less then Werenski and McAvoy? - dude defenseman haven’t gotten paid as RFAs ever - not like AM, McDavid, Eiclel, Aho, Nylander and likely Point and Rantanen... Doughy and especially Karlsson’s biggest beef was that they were top guys not getting close to what others were getting that weren’t as good of productive.  Actually take them out of the equation now and go look at all the defenseman - and see top pairing guys make in comparison to top line forwards and you have to see what’s there.  Myers is actually getting paid like a top two right now - as he’s in the top 62 highest paid defenseman in the league. 

Boesers contract is very reasonable - less then Meirs even though he’s definitely the better player ... Conners deal should be a little less for a bridge but not by much .. offer sheets isn’t leverage unless you get one (rarely happens) and none of these guys have arbitration rights ...

Edited by IBatch

41 minutes ago, KanNuck said:

I doubt we have issues resigning our guys. I believe EP and BB will both take abit less to play together and I can't see Bo being any different. Benning seems to draft alot based on character. This isn't Toronto were it's a bunch of selfish brats fighting for an extra 700K. 

Marner reportedly turned down 7×10M. Think about that. The laffs have 3 guys at 11M or damn near and then no fight in him WN ontop of that. That isn't a winning culture and they're going absolutely no where come playoffs. 

I believe our group is going to truly be something special and were creating a good culture here with contracts like Bo and Boes. I don't see any of our big 4 moving especially with Baertschi, Rousell, Edler, Markstrom, Sutter ,Beagle and Eriksson not being here in 3 years. We will have Hoglander, Podkolzin , Woo etc all on ELCs and cheaper options in in guys like Virtanan, Gaudette... Not to mention good value players like Ferland and Miller. There is lots of cap to go around.

Press is just whining for the sake of whining....

Yes it will cost once Brock needs to be paid in 3 years, but Canucks holds all the cards.

If he scores 30-40 goals a season, he's worth 7.5+, and as a restricted free agent the ball is still in their court.

If not he most likely won't be a Canuck after 3 years...

Yes you can't keep an entire team together forever, and some will go, but the important part is to be in control of, who stays and who goes...

Brilliant deal by Benning... also shows, just like Horvat deal did, for future negotiations with Hughes and Pettersson, that this a team contract....

in 3 years time there should be a few of Lind, Gaudette, McKeowen, Podkolzin, Woo etc ready to take over places from expiring contracts... And we will stay competitive in the mean time... 

Bring it on...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Can't say it's a great deal. On a 3 year term had to be max 5 mill. JB needed to get 6 years min so when Canucks start contending in 3 or 4 for cup BB would have a descent cap hit.  

Hes going to play with EP next 3 years and score lots if goals. Then he's going to look for 10 mill per year. 

I would have let him sit.  

While I respect your opinion we really have no idea what BB will ask for so to say he's going to be looking for 10+ is abit premature. 

Guy wreaks of class and seems to be a very humble down to earth kid with solid character and a good head on his shoulders. 

Brock and Petey both take abit less as will Bo again , but as I said it's abit premature and that's just my opinion.

I'd rather get him at 3 years now , she'd a ton of cap and replace players with our ELCs coming up and value contract guys like Miller and Ferland, sign Boeser to a 7 year deal next round taking him to 32. 

I believe he wants to be here I think BB, EP and Bo will take abit less. Bo's likely at 7M-7.5M on his next one , BB 8M, EP 9M and Hughes 7.5M these guys seem to like being together. They're gonna win alot of games over the next few years. All speculating of course but to assume the worst ..... Let's see how the next 3 years go first.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Press is just whining for the sake of whining....

Yes it will cost once Brock needs to be paid in 3 years, but Canucks holds all the cards.

If he scores 30-40 goals a season, he's worth 7.5+, and as a restricted free agent the ball is still in their court.

If not he most likely won't be a Canuck after 3 years...

Yes you can't keep an entire team together forever, and some will go, but the important part is to be in control of, who stays and who goes...

Brilliant deal by Benning... also shows, just like Horvat deal did, for future negotiations with Hughes and Pettersson, that this a team contract....

in 3 years time there should be a few of Lind, Gaudette, McKeowen, Podkolzin, Woo etc ready to take over places from expiring contracts... And we will stay competitive in the mean time... 

Bring it on...

I couldn't agree with you more. And who knows BB and Bo both seem like they have a strong desire to win, character guys and I see that in EP as well. I could definitely see them taking abit less to remain together and still have a competitive team built around them. 

We ain't the Laffs. 

Go Canucks Go!!

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We now have Horvat and Boeser signed without any clauses. This leaves a team with the ability to make moves as they go forward. 

Very good point!  Setting president for future contracts.  This is a very big deal.  Benning really is setting up our future long term.  This is the biggest mistake Gillis made.... Looking short term.  It's taken years to recover from those choices made in 2010-2013.  So on the flip side, these choices by Benning and co. now will set us up for years to come.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We now have Horvat and Boeser signed without any clauses. This leaves a team with the ability to make moves as they go forward. 

Like NTC?  As RFA's , neither of them are eligible for any kind of no trade clause.

• Thanks 1