The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign F Brock Boeser to 3 year deal with AAV of $5.875 million

Adarsh Sant

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Good bridge contract without being insulting like some of the 1-2 year deals that go around. This will be an important time for our young kids, essentially it's an extension on his ELC. He'll really want to prove his worth which is much better than just dishing out a long term 8 yr deal. I think we're going to see a motivated Boeser in the next couple of seasons.

And nice to see - now Conners camp won’t have the same ammo - sure he can get offer sheeted where as BB couldnt but those are rare...JB alike CLB and Boston is helping re-set some sanity  in these deals - if they want a 50-60 million dollar contract they should earn them first.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, The Great Canucks said:

Next July 1st, I hope Benning locks up Pettersson and Hughes to their next contracts, getting them out of the way early, instead of waiting until the year after.

If Pettersson can have a 90 point season and be great defensively, at the end of the season I'd say give him 10M x 8years

Hughes, we do not have a huge sample size sadly, we burned 1 year of his contract up already and 1 year sample size may not due us good for looking him up long term. I think we resign him after his contract ends, but ideally if he lives up to his hype and has a 40 point season upcoming and lets say has another 40 point season in year 3 (while not being exposed for Defensive flaws - sign him for 6 to 8 years x 7 mill)

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Another potentially good thing is Boeser’s next deal kicks in after Petey’s. Meaning Benning can set the in-team standard. Personally I think the in team standard is worth more in negotiations than around the league standards.

If Toronto held out more on Nylander they likely could have talked down Matthews, which in turn knocks down Marner. Or, go further back. Don’t sign Tavares. One way or another, as soon as they signed Matthews to nearly 12mil Marner seen dollar signs in his eyes.

If they can get Petey extended at 8-9mil that caps Boeser’s next deal at 7-8mil, barring an Ovi-like production spike. Assuming he’s healthy too. Gillis and company did one thing right. It was negotiating in house. Sedins make 7, you will make less. 

This is absolutely key.  This is more than just Boeser's contract, it sets the stage for Pettersson and Hughes and then determines the next contract for Boeser while he is still an RFA.  This is another key reason why it was good for Benning to be signed.  He has it figured out. 

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Another potentially good thing is Boeser’s next deal kicks in after Petey’s. Meaning Benning can set the in-team standard. Personally I think the in team standard is worth more in negotiations than around the league standards.

If Toronto held out more on Nylander they likely could have talked down Matthews, which in turn knocks down Marner. Or, go further back. Don’t sign Tavares. One way or another, as soon as they signed Matthews to nearly 12mil Marner seen dollar signs in his eyes.

If they can get Petey extended at 8-9mil that caps Boeser’s next deal at 7-8mil, barring an Ovi-like production spike. Assuming he’s healthy too. Gillis and company did one thing right. It was negotiating in house. Sedins make 7, you will make less. 

For sure and “NMC clauses for everyone!” ... and back then percentage to total cap isn’t much different then 10 million today ...

Edited by IBatch

26 minutes ago, combover said:

not Sure why so many are praising Benning for this,this is 80% the the agent/players deal, Nucks wanted long term they didn’t get it. 

This was the best deal Benning could TAKE because of his cap mismanagement. 

I was hoping for long term as well glad they got it done regardless of who made it happen, and happy he didn’t miss ANYTIME the first 4days of camp constitutes not missing anything unless your a nit picking ..... . 

I agree  the number it would take to sign Boeser long term would have been too high because it bought UFA years.

I think that 3 years ago, the team was in a very different place.  Linden was still there and they were taking a longer term approach with the re-thingy (at that point, they weren't even saying the word rebuild).  It was in this environment that they were signing Eriksson to support the Sedins and Sutter to shelter younger, developing centres.

The change in focus / strategy is important because it is often painted as cap mismanagement.  Had they stuck with the Linden plan, they would still be scuffling along and the cap wouldn't have been an issue.  As it is, the team has improved rapidly and they have to be very careful cap wise.  Changing the approach is never a good thing imo. However, it does seem to be working out, we just have to deal with this cap crunch as a result.

To sign Boeser to a bridge may have been second choice for the Canucks but it is actually less risky because Boeser will have to show that he really is a top end sniper before he gets his big pay day.  On the other hand, if he does present himself as say, a 35 goal man, they're going to have to pay him a lot when he re-signs.  But as people say, there is no problem paying your stars because they're worth it.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For sure and “NMC clauses for everyone!” ... and back then percentage to total cap isn’t much different then 10 million today ...

I don't give a s*** about giving 21-24 year olds NMCs on their contracts, cause that'd mean the contract is eating actual UFA years. And I understand the cap is different, I am not saying these kids should be paid less than the Sedins. Lol. But hey, good point bud.

25 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Sounds from the agent that the 6 x 7mill  contract was pure speculation and paper hack fabrication....

Embarrassing yet not surprising....

Sounds like the agent is mad that offer was leaked, meaning it was there. I wonder what contract signed changed the market enough for them to not sign that deal. Cause it sounds like they heavily considered it.

12 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I agree  the number it would take to sign Boeser long term would have been too high because it bought UFA years.

I think that 3 years ago, the team was in a very different place.  Linden was still there and they were taking a longer term approach with the re-thingy (at that point, they weren't even saying the word rebuild).  It was in this environment that they were signing Eriksson to support the Sedins and Sutter to shelter younger, developing centres.

The change in focus / strategy is important because it is often painted as cap mismanagement.  Had they stuck with the Linden plan, they would still be scuffling along and the cap wouldn't have been an issue.  As it is, the team has improved rapidly and they have to be very careful cap wise.  Changing the approach is never a good thing imo. However, it does seem to be working out, we just have to deal with this cap crunch as a result.

To sign Boeser to a bridge may have been second choice for the Canucks but it is actually less risky because Boeser will have to show that he really is a top end sniper before he gets his big pay day.  On the other hand, if he does present himself as say, a 35 goal man, they're going to have to pay him a lot when he re-signs.  But as people say, there is no problem paying your stars because they're worth it.

+1

What changed was Petey taking to the NHL like a fish to water... JB was quick to acknowledge that, and instead of keeping on drafting and hope we strike gold again, he went on the offensive and signed players to support Petey, Brock and Bo. 

Our window will soon open instead of waiting another year or two... How often do you draft a player like Petey or get a goal scorer like Boeser... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Sounds like the agent is mad that offer was leaked, meaning it was there. I wonder what contract signed changed the market enough for them to not sign that deal. Cause it sounds like they heavily considered it.

Not sure, but regardless I'm sure it was the Meier contract... a qualifying offer of 10 mill?

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

he was mad because it set the market lower than he wanted for his client.