Sign in to follow this  
Adarsh Sant

[Signing] Canucks re-sign F Brock Boeser to 3 year deal with AAV of $5.875 million

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You're certainly right about some owners playing with their teams like they are toys. 

Glad we have Bess locked up though.    

I agree 100%  and hey I rather have a owner that cares then one that's just in for the pay check

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm surprised Bess's agent confirmed that.  I kind of shows that he messed up.  Now Brock is getting paid more than a million less.  I'd say Brock needs to get himself a new agent. 

I think that's why he was upset over it being out there (6 x 7 was what I heard).   I think he wanted pressure on the team but it became apparent through the leak that the team was at least trying to make it work.  When Brock intervened it seemed like it then happened.  I think the agents sometimes get in the way of things.  The media has a job to do too and leaks are part of it.  Things were underway and one of our top guys wasn't involved in that so of course there are going to be reports and leaks if information becomes known.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doubt Biega's going anywhere. Guy's the perfect spare D. My money's on forwards waived/traded.

I agree but if there is a chance Eriksson stays then waiving a defenceman may be an option.  I think Fatenberg would get picked up so that's why I picked Biega.  He could get picked up as well.  At the end of the day I'd rather just have Loui in Utica to force his hand.  Maybe he gives in and retires.  Sometimes dreams do come true...  :)

• Hydration 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bess should get himself a new agent.  This current guy said the Canucks offered 7x7 back in June.  That's a contract he should have advised Brock to sign, especially considering Brock wants long term stability.  

Brock will be worth more than $7M in 3-years especially with the cap going up and if he stays healthy

I think it all worked out marvelously for everybody

• Hydration 1

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does the owner understand players' values?  Is the owner an expert in player evaluation and team building?  I agree that Aquilini would be a good negotiator, but I get a bit concerned when the owner gets involved in hockey operations.  I believe Aquilini loves his team, and that love might affect his judgement.  

Super glad we have Bess locked up though, and believe the numbers are fair for both him and the team.  Personally I think it's a steal for us.  Bess is scoring more than 150 goals during these three season.  

it was probably more for assurance that the next deal would be a big one and that the owner see's Brock as a key piece for the next 10 years. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm surprised Bess's agent confirmed that.  I kind of shows that he messed up.  Now Brock is getting paid more than a million less.  I'd say Brock needs to get himself a new agent. 

Well he is arguing that it will mean more money down the road and he is sticking to the talking point that the market has changed and that would have been a bad deal for Boeser.

Probably a safe bet that Boeser earns more in the end this way.

The 650 guys keeps talking about how the qualifying offer has to be $8.3 million (the $7.5 last year salary plus 10%).  I was pretty sure that qualifying offers for salaries above $1 million only had to be qualified at 100%.

I texted them and they responded, but they keep taking about the $8.3... so maybe I am wrong.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doubt Biega's going anywhere. Guy's the perfect spare D. My money's on forwards waived/traded.

I'm not so sure. I think Fantenberg stays over Biega, just imo but Fantenberg brings more size and skill than bulldog, and he's younger. 

Waivers for Schaller for sure, but I really wonder about our trade options. To me Baer seems like the best spare part for lack of a better word, just don't know who/what he'd bring back. I was thinking ANA might be a good fit for Baer since Eaves is toast, Baer would actually be a much better producer at similar money. 

Love the news papers "There are difficult decisions ahead..." This is the NHL in a salary cap, there are ALWAYS difficult decisions ahead.

They love to be so melodramatic.

• Hydration 3

11 hours ago, stawns said:

Like NTC?  As RFA's , neither of them are eligible for any kind of no trade clause.

That is a tidbit that I didn't know. So Jim was saved by the rules. You should have left me thinking that Jim was improving.  LOL

After listening to Brocks agent I get the impression that Brock told him to get the deal done. Brock wanted to get the year going. 

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree but if there is a chance Eriksson stays then waiving a defenceman may be an option.  I think Fatenberg would get picked up so that's why I picked Biega.  He could get picked up as well.  At the end of the day I'd rather just have Loui in Utica to force his hand.  Maybe he gives in and retires.  Sometimes dreams do come true...  :)

I honestly don't know how Eriksson stays on this roster other than maybe 13th F until Roussel's back short of more injuries or trades.

Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer/Pearson, Horvat, Miller

Baer/Pearson, Sutter, Leivo/Virtanen

Motte, Beagle, Leivo/Virtanen

Gordie help him if Goldy, Gaudette, MacEwen etc actually earn a spot over him.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not so sure. I think Fantenberg stays over Biega, just imo but Fantenberg brings more size and skill than bulldog, and he's younger. 

Waivers for Schaller for sure, but I really wonder about our trade options. To me Baer seems like the best spare part for lack of a better word, just don't know who/what he'd bring back. I was thinking ANA might be a good fit for Baer since Eaves is toast, Baer would actually be a much better producer at similar money. 

Over? They're both staying IMO.

Edler, Myers

Hughes, Tanev

Benn, Stecher

Fantenberg, Biega

And to both of you, besides the obvious player reasons, waiving Biega also saves us the least amount of cap over many other options.

Edited by aGENT

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Edler, Myers

Hughes, Tanev

Benn, Stecher

Fantenberg, Biega

unless they start the year with 7d. Which asset would you rather lose, Biega or Goldy if it came down to that situation? 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree.  I think Fatenberg is the 7th D and Biega is the 8th.  If we go with 14 forwards Biega will be waived...

• Hydration 1

Happy to have Brock back in the fold  - a fair signing on both sides

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bess should get himself a new agent.  This current guy said the Canucks offered 7x7 back in June.  That's a contract he should have advised Brock to sign, especially considering Brock wants long term stability.  

the canucks have to qualify brock at 7.5 and the end of 3 years  , so he will make more money in year 4  

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

unless they start the year with 7d. Which asset would you rather lose, Biega or Goldy if it came down to that situation? 

Why would we? When have we done this? 

If Goldy can't earn a spot at this point, I'm not losing any sleep should he move on. Seems like a good kid...best of luck to him. It would also be the right thing to do, giving him a possible (likely last) chance elsewhere, if he's not in our long term plans/if he can't earn a spot.

And if we waive him during the usual preseason melee, I doubt he's claimed anyway. He'd also be a hell of a lot better served in Utica in that case than Biega would (as would Utica, particularly with vet limits).

Edited by aGENT

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Eriksson, Schaller and Baertschi.  We need Sutter on the 3rd line for now until Gaudette is ready so no rush to trade him a this point as Gaudette should be playing top minutes in Utica this year.  Goldy looks good, I wouldn't trade him until we see him in action.  He could be a sleeper this year.  I like Leivo on the 3rd line playing with Sutter and Virtanen so I'm not sure where Baertschi fits in as Ferland will be given every chance to play with Petey and Brock and BO and Miller look like they already have chemistry and BO had chemistry with Pearson last year so I can see those 3 playing together as well.  So that leaves Beartschi either on the 3rd line or in the press box.  

It will be good competition this year as we have much more depth.  Who knows maybe Eriksson proves himself and earns a spot on the 4th line.  With Boeser signing under $6 million we can actually keep Eriksson on the roster if Benning chooses to, we can send Biega and Schaller to Utica and put Roussel on LTIR.  Lots of options right now.

I agree Sutter is needed for now and Gaudette needs the time in Utica. Right now Goldy and Baertchi are the guys looking like they are on the bubble as Miller,Ferlund and Pearson seem like better options on the top 6. Those big bodies make such a difference to compliment our core its hard to see any of those guys getting supplanted.

It will even be more difficult for them once Roussel returns.

Sutter,Virtanen,Beagle and probably Ericksson round out the bottom 6 so those last few spots will be a dog fight between a number of our remaining depth players.

Stecher looks to be the 6th guy on the depth chart and he has a few guys right on his heels including OJ, he is going to have to take that extra step this year, if he is to remain with this team.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I honestly don't know how Eriksson stays on this roster other than maybe 13th F until Roussel's back short of more injuries or trades.

Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer/Pearson, Horvat, Miller

Baer/Pearson, Sutter, Leivo/Virtanen

Motte, Beagle, Leivo/Virtanen

Gordie help him if Goldy, Gaudette, MacEwen etc actually earn a spot over him.

Edler, Myers

Hughes, Tanev

Benn, Stecher

Fantenberg, Biega

And to both of you, besides the obvious player reasons, waiving Biega also saves us the least amount of cap over many other options.

Cap space won't matter if Roussel starts the year on LTIR.  We have 3 extra bodies, if Roussel gets put on LTIR that leaves us with 2.  So 2 of Eriksson, Schaller, Baertschi, Goldy, Fatenberg and Biega have to go.  Leivo and Motte aren't going anywhere.  It could very well be Eriksson and Schaller that go down to Utica, that's my prediction, but if somehow Loui plays himself onto the roster than barring a trade I think Biega gets waived and we keep 14 forwards.  Goldy and Baertschi are more valuable than Biega.